You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-28 22:57:05

smyrman

Install archlinux to sdcard [solved]

I just want to share my problem and my solution in case anyone else has the same problem. My problem was that *I* wanted to install arch on a micro sdcard (but */arch/setup* wold not). Partitionong whent fine (mostly),  but the installation program's (/arch/setup's) "Set Filesystem Mountpoints" menu, did not find my sdcard.

Here is how i solved it:
I booted up from my installationmedia (beeing my usbkey with the 2008 img file loaded on to it), and did the folowing:

First I did this very essential installation step:

#setterm -blength 0

Then i created a partition with cfdisk (this required one restart, and I had to set the bootable option to true):

#cfdisk /dev/mmcblk0p1

(notice that I had to use the trailing p1 for partition 1- also note that the /dev/ path might be completely different on your system)

After restart I could use cfdisk again on the entire disk (still I had to set the bootable option to true):

#cfdisk /dev/mmcblk0

Then I created an fs on partition 1:

#mkfs.ext2 /dev/mmcblk0p1

(ext2 because we don't want a journaling fs on a flashdisk)

Then I mounted the device:

# mkdir /newarch
# mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /newarch

For the remaining steps, I followed this guide:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … ting_Linux

Hope that this migth help somebody.
- smyrman -

Last edited by smyrman (2008-07-28 22:59:48)

#2 2008-07-28 23:27:48

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Install archlinux to sdcard [solved]

You could create a wiki article on how to do this since as far as I know there is none. I am sure that someone would find it helpful to find the information for how to do that in the Wiki that after all is the primary arch knowledgebase.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

Board footer