You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-30 10:55:59

Fackamato

Most suitable filesystem for an SSD disk?

I'm thinking of getting a Solid State Drive, such as the new OCZ ones... price/gb is really coming down now.

Gonna put it in my laptop, and use an external drive for everything else. So what's the best filesystem for an SSD drive? One without journaling? Or what do you think guys?

#2 2008-07-30 11:12:53

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Most suitable filesystem for an SSD disk?

I am using ext3 on my SSD, look in the Acer Aspire One thread for a link to some nice tips on how to optimise your installation for use on SSDs.

A good idea might be to use a flash FS like jffs2, but then again, I don't know if they scale well. Usually you see them on systems with like 8 MB flash or so, which isn't quite a lot tongue.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2008-07-30 11:24:37

wuischke

jffs2 or other flash file systems are not a good idea in this case, because they assume direct access to the flash memory. SSD disks implement much of the functionality in firmware and use an SATA/IDE interface, i.e. they already deliver an abstraction which makes the use of a flash file system uneccessary.

#4 2008-07-31 06:46:16

Fackamato

wuischke wrote:

jffs2 or other flash file systems are not a good idea in this case, because they assume direct access to the flash memory. SSD disks implement much of the functionality in firmware and use an SATA/IDE interface, i.e. they already deliver an abstraction which makes the use of a flash file system uneccessary.

Interesting, good stuff. smile

I'll read the Acer thread!

Board footer