You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-20 01:55:55

punkrockguy318
Website

Uncompileable Programs in Pacman Packages

There are some programs that won't compile, no matter how many patches or tweaks you do.  The code is too old and unmaintained.  It's very frustrating when you can't get a package to compile.  But alas, the developers offer a 386 binary!  You don't want you filesystem cluttered with unpacmaned files.  Hmm.. what to do?

You can make a pacman PKGBUILD to download the binaries, and place them in correct spots according to AL guidelines, and get them to work.  EX: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=5210 - the lad at that link made a cube package with the developer supplied binaries.

Now I know that these packages should not be included in the official respitories... What a waste!  That's pretty much just a couple more mirrors for that program...

But would be nice, is an archieve of these uncompilable programs' PKGBUILDs.  Maybe a WiKi or CVS?  What are your thoughts of this matter?

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#2 2004-06-20 03:51:15

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Uncompileable Programs in Pacman Packages

It's possible that there will be a place for "unmaintained" PKGBUILDs in the new packaging system. It keeps getting argued. wink

Board footer