You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-30 17:29:29

aardwolf

KDE 4.1 taskbar help

Help!

I can't get the taskbar of KDE 4.1 right! I made it "somewhat" OK. Then I pressed "Leave" in the start menu, and when coming back to KDE, all the settings in the taskbar were gone again and the only thing there was the digital clock which was HUGE!

How can I get the following taskbar? By taskbar, by the way, I mean: a thing at the bottom of all windows, that contains things like the start menu, application launch buttons, and the buttons of windows of open application.

So how can I get it the following way, and such that it will stay like that forever, after loggin in and out etc...?

1. have the taskbar at the bottom, not at the top
2. on the left a "start" button with the menu in it with the applications and stuff
3. on the right the clock, showing: time and date
4. on the right, the icons like the volume control, the little icon of pidgin when it's running, etc...
5. TWO rows:
6. one row in which the buttons of the open windows will be
7. the other row with little icons for applications I want to launch with one mouse click (similar to windows xp's "quicklaunch")
8. and also somewhere in the taskbar: a small textbox in which I can type a console command to launch an application (like what you get when you press alt+f2, but then embedded in the taskbar)

I'm terribly confused! Currently, the taskbar is at the top instead of the bottom, and I can't move it!

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by aardwolf (2008-07-30 17:29:54)

#2 2008-07-30 17:39:55

Rasi
Website

Re: KDE 4.1 taskbar help

there is a little cashew at the right, just click it and you can rearrange everything you want to... (drag & drop)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2008-07-30 17:44:22

aardwolf

Dude, everytime I logout and login again, the panel is EMPTY! How can I solve that?

Also, windows like my browser, go BEHIND the panel, so the status bar of my browser is behind it!

There is a serious problem/bug with my KDE I think, what could it be?

#4 2008-07-30 18:00:38

Timmer

I've run into this too.  I log out, and log back in and my top and side panel decide that it'd be nice to stack on top of each other, at the bottom.  all my widgets are gone (app shortcuts, application menu, system tray, task manager, pager, clock, etc.  and all my desktop widgets get reset to their original size and location instead of where i moved them.

I think it's because plasma crashes on logout, and there are several bugs to that effect in bugs.kde.org.  I've got to do some testing when I get home tonight, but i think the relevant bug is this one and it might take a while to fix since it's a QT problem, and not KDE.

#5 2008-07-30 19:19:21

georgia_tech_swagger
Website

See Post #9 here for some hints in terms of using it:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52416

Res Publica Non Dominetur

Laptop:  Arch x86 | Thinkpad X220 | Core i5 2410-M | 8 GB DDR3 | Sandy Bridge
Desktop:  Arch x86_64 | Custom | Core i7 920 | 6 GB DDR3 | GeForce 260 GTX

#6 2008-07-30 19:40:18

Timmer

I'll agree, it was a bit counter intuitive, but it's not all that bad either.

In addition to right-click, you can click and drag an icon directly in there for the short cuts.  -- that was the method i found first.  It's also worth noting that right-click will only let you add to the panel that the application menu is in - not to another panel.  Nor can you drag from one panel to another.

And as for panel resizing, the only part i found hard was getting a side panel.  because the drag handle is in the "right center left" box, which is a little odd.  I must say though that the tool tips on the min and max size arrows helped tremendously.  Also, it's a bit annoying that the edit panel stuff gets covered by other panels.  I think I'm going to file a bug on that if there isn't one already.

#7 2008-07-30 19:54:53

Grimn

Timmer wrote:

And as for panel resizing, the only part i found hard was getting a side panel.  because the drag handle is in the "right center left" box, which is a little odd.  I must say though that the tool tips on the min and max size arrows helped tremendously.  Also, it's a bit annoying that the edit panel stuff gets covered by other panels.  I think I'm going to file a bug on that if there isn't one already.

Thanks a lot! I never realised how to handle the panel configuration so as to have a side panel (which is a must for me if only the widgets install menu worked tongue).

#8 2008-07-30 23:29:21

sputter
Website

I was running into that issue when I first installed but something has either stablized or the fact that I "lock the widgets"  I haven't lost my config once since then.

To address some of your other issues. I've found that a couple of the old widgets from kde3 hung out and will run from your panel, like knetload is running with no prob for me.
As for the moving of your panel itself was already answered.

Last edited by sputter (2008-07-30 23:33:28)

#9 2008-07-30 23:30:30

aardwolf

I deleted my kde4 folder (it was just new anyway) and that solved the crashing problem - at least for now - I simply won't touch the panel too much again now, because now it's stable and doesn't reset on every logon smile

However, is it so that it'll be reset again if plasma crashes?

If so, is it possible to save the current state of the taskbar and other desktop related things somewhere so that it's easy to get everything (all positions of icons, enabled widgets, ...) back?

#10 2008-07-30 23:39:35

sputter
Website

aardwolf wrote:

If so, is it possible to save the current state of the taskbar and other desktop related things somewhere so that it's easy to get everything (all positions of icons, enabled widgets, ...) back?

I'd say plasmarc and plasma-appletsrc might be what you are looking for, but when I viewed I was wasn't totally positive that's what you wanted

Board footer