You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-30 20:23:19

MillTek

Firefox3 mis-formatting web pages

Hi,

I have noticed that with Firefox 3 some of the web-sites I use are very badly mis-formatted. An example would be www.citicards.com.  When loading, you can see the place where you would enter your userid and password but then it loads a flash ad which changes the entire usable are of the site to white and that's it.  I've also noticed on other sites that some stuff (like a title under a photograph) is mixed into whatever text is around it.  Previous versions of Firefox had the same problem but to a lesser extent. Am I missing a plugin or is everyone else having the same issue.  I do have the flash plugin installed by the way.  Any ideas??  It'd bad enough paying bills, but to have to use a Vista box to do it just makes it all the more unleasant.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-07-30 21:56:50

jleach

Re: Firefox3 mis-formatting web pages

Not a citibank user myself, but I remember just reading about this (some solutions are discussed here):
http://stealcode.blogspot.com/2008/07/c … tu_27.html

I'll offer another suggestion: Get VirtualBox (or virtualbox_bin in AUR) and install Vista or XP into it.  Easy to setup and use, amazingly good performance, and free for personal use, it makes dealing with nuisance sites painless.

#3 2008-07-30 23:14:37

MillTek

Thanks for the reply. I'm really loath to put anything from MS on my machine, but there may in the end be no option. I will find someone in Citibank to complain to about this. It's pure bullcrap.  I wish there was another way that didn't involve MS.

#4 2008-07-31 00:03:26

skottish
Forum Fellow

MillTek wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm really loath to put anything from MS on my machine, but there may in the end be no option. I will find someone in Citibank to complain to about this. It's pure bullcrap.  I wish there was another way that didn't involve MS.

Try the site in Opera. It's been a while since I've used Opera, but I remember that it did better than FF on a lot of sites that were designed with, only tested on, or specifically for MS stuff.

#5 2008-07-31 00:08:37

MillTek

Tried Opera just now.  Everything appears and then 'flash!" and all thats left is their stupid Flashplayer ad.

Thanks Skottish

#6 2008-07-31 00:16:50

skottish
Forum Fellow

I just clicked on the website and everything seems to render fine with FF3. I'm using Flashblock, that may make a difference. Even when I click on the ad though (to unblock it), the web page is rendered fine.

Last edited by skottish (2008-07-31 00:17:09)

#7 2008-07-31 00:17:56

MillTek

A solution.  Reading the link supplied by jleach above I came across these solutions that work but it's ridiculous that such a large bank would actively work against Linux.

Update:
cube3x3 on digg.com stated a second solution aside from using the User-Agent Switcher add-on:
1. Right Click on your browser in center area (after the page disappears)
2. Click on Play option
3. A window will pop up, click continue twice and close.
Note: you have to do this each time you goto http://citicards.com to login.

Update:
fotoman On Digg.com pointed out a rather interesting fix. If you goto http://citicards.com and hit a few times once you see the login page, the page will not disappear. You can then login without any problem. very nice.

Update:
earthmansurfer On Digg.com pointed out a 4th solution, very similar to the third.
Stop the page right after you get the log in screen. It will work fine, just have to time stopping the load.

Update:
chezifresh On Digg.com pointed out a funny workaround, but it requires some good timing. If you are able to click in the login field before the page disappears, the page will not vanish. I was able to verify this workaround a few times, however, some of the time it doesn't work, even if you click in the field before the page vanishes.

Board footer