You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-31 15:53:05

MicrosoftSam

FTP x64 Install - Error at Selecting Packages

After I begin the 2nd step from the main menu, to select the packages, I get to choose a server, but after doing so it just shows me a message saying something about "refreshing" before it quickly closes and returns me back to the main menu again. I then press select packages again and get to select the server again, after which the checklist appears (that would normally display the packages to select), but instead of the names of the packages, it just says "Error:     ^" on the first line and "Expected     ^" on the second. If I try again it just adds another pair of "Error:     ^" and "Expected     ^" on the third and fourth line and so on as I keep trying (If I select cancel the lines are cleared).

Edit: btw, this is what the "Select Package Categories" checklist looked like after the first try

[*] Error:    ^
[*] Expected  ^
[*] at        ^
[*] least     ^
[*] 7         ^
[*] tokens    ^
[*] for       ^

Any ideas?

Last edited by MicrosoftSam (2008-07-31 18:21:22)

#2 2008-07-31 21:27:36

Richer

Re: FTP x64 Install - Error at Selecting Packages

I have the same problem but with i686, don't know if is a mirror problem

#3 2008-08-10 17:03:39

_.:D3jph:._

I have this problem too, strange is that i installed my system 1st time ok, this bug occured during 2nd installation. i think it's not mirror problem, cos i tried every mirror sad

Last edited by _.:D3jph:._ (2008-08-11 06:42:15)

#4 2008-08-11 19:16:19

nonexistent

Hi, I was installing Arch on my eeepc and got this error too.  I aborted the install, then booted and tried again.  The second time installing I realized I had forgotten to check the "base-develop" (I forget the exact text) option with spacebar from the "Select Packages" install main menu during my first install.  When I did correctly select it this time, the error did not reappear and I could install the packages fine.

Can you confirm that you've done this step?

#5 2008-08-12 20:14:41

nonexistent wrote:

Hi, I was installing Arch on my eeepc and got this error too.  I aborted the install, then booted and tried again.  The second time installing I realized I had forgotten to check the "base-develop" (I forget the exact text) option with spacebar from the "Select Packages" install main menu during my first install.  When I did correctly select it this time, the error did not reappear and I could install the packages fine.

Can you confirm that you've done this step?

Yes, i think i did this mistake too, but once this error occurs, i can't get to the menu select packages, every time i trie it, this error still even when i try to install again and again. (sorry for that english)

#6 2008-08-13 11:01:35

MicrosoftSam

I tried again now after waiting for about a week and I still get the same error, so it shouldn't be some temporary mirror-problem.

It appears that there is plenty of people who have been trying to get this to work for a while now so can't some Arch-developer/expert help us out? Might there be something wrong with the current version of arch-live-ftp-install .img?

#7 2008-08-13 14:49:50

MicrosoftSam wrote:

I tried again now after waiting for about a week and I still get the same error, so it shouldn't be some temporary mirror-problem.

It appears that there is plenty of people who have been trying to get this to work for a while now so can't some Arch-developer/expert help us out? Might there be something wrong with the current version of arch-live-ftp-install .img?

This isn't only ftp install problem, i had it even with normal cd install.

#8 2008-08-15 06:00:47

yvonney

yep, she no workie! this happens ALWAYS

#9 2008-08-15 11:40:50

rooloo

Now I am gonna try this myself. In the meantime, someone who has confirmed this please file a bug on flyspray(arch bugtracker).

http://bugs.archlinux.org/

link to this forum post in that flyspray report. Then a dev might help you guys out.

#10 2008-08-15 15:20:19

rooloo

I think I found the issue, you get the OP error when u try to refresh the package list. This means that the computer must connect to the internet. if it does not because of misconfiguration, then you get the error posted by the OP.

What I don't get, is that once you use dhcp to query for a IP address, the result is that it succeed even when it did not. If you try to use DHCP to retry your query the computer tells me that dhcpd can not be accessed at this time, or something to that effect. This is the only bug I seem to find in the ftp install cd.

#11 2008-08-16 01:55:18

arfett

Yep, DHCP runs through its configuration and it says the network is enabled.  After you get that error if you go back to configure the network adapter dhcp fails and you have to reboot and reload the install and hope that it doesn't do it again.  Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries.

#12 2008-08-16 12:35:08

rooloo

arfett wrote:

Yep, DHCP runs through its configuration and it says the network is enabled.  After you get that error if you go back to configure the network adapter dhcp fails and you have to reboot and reload the install and hope that it doesn't do it again.  Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries.

yes, exactly the same issue I had. But once I got network configured using dhcp on 3 boot tries, I was able to select all the packages without error.

So, the solution to the OP's question is, FIX your misconfigured network.

I think the dhcp thing is a bug though and therefor I am gonna file a bug report.

#13 2008-08-16 12:40:55

Thanks for solving this, i'll give Arch another try when i'll have time.;)

#14 2008-08-16 13:23:15

MicrosoftSam

So this is what I do,

I start the system

>run arch live boot
>log on as root
>run /arch/setup
>choose FTP install
>configure my network and it says enabled
>configure it again and dhpccd fails
>exit setup
>reboot

I've been doing this like 5 times now and it still keeps failing, what am I doing wrong?

#15 2008-08-17 06:45:45

rooloo wrote:
arfett wrote:

yes, exactly the same issue I had. But once I got network configured using dhcp on 3 boot tries, I was able to select all the packages without error.

So, the solution to the OP's question is, FIX your misconfigured network.

I think the dhcp thing is a bug though and therefor I am gonna file a bug report.

But thats weird, cos i have this problem even when i tried normal cd install, not ftp install.

#16 2008-08-17 21:16:37

yvonney

I should mention that I DID get arch to install and overcome the problem at the select packages stage... and ALSO mention that I am installing arch in VirtualBox as an Arch GUEST on my Windows Laptop.

Not sure if Vbox is part of the problem for me... only that by going back and manually formatting drive I DID get it to give me the base packages which install fine...

#17 2008-08-23 12:06:45

pinger

yvonney wrote:

I should mention that I DID get arch to install and overcome the problem at the select packages stage... and ALSO mention that I am installing arch in VirtualBox as an Arch GUEST on my Windows Laptop.

Care to elaborate on that? I am still getting the same problem even though the network DOES get properly configured by the setup process (I can ping the mirrors from another console...).

Very frustrating bug. I had planned to do an FTP install over the weekend, now I have to wait to have access to a computer with a cd burner to do a normal cd install. Waste of time and cds...

#18 2008-08-24 01:38:19

yvonney

I had considered that my last post wasn't my usual  'as thorough as possible'  was busy and also not quite sure what I could add that would be helpful.

Basically whether I was installing in vbox or not is probably a non-issue..

i've had the error before with FTP installs...

as I recall I could ALWAYS get around the problem by making SURE I had a net connection via wire that worked and then the actual problem my end I could always overcome by re-formatting the drive FROM within the arch install routine....

so basically if I went back and repartitioned the drive all would be well....

my guess is that there may be something that's fixed or soon to be fixed in the install.....dunno though...

Also, I LOVE and ONLY do FTP installs now.... I get a better sense of 'clean' when doing one...

Well, I hope you can see from the above that I didn't really know how to elaborate earlier.... this all may not be that helpful.

best wishes

Last edited by yvonney (2008-08-24 01:44:28)

#19 2008-08-26 07:10:32

pinger

Yvonney, thanks for giving more detail.

It eventually "just worked" for me after about 10 tries. Each time I had made sure that I had a working network connection and would always get the same error, until for some reason it just worked. No idea what could have caused it to work as I repeated scrupulously the same steps every time.

My advice to other people struggling with the same bug: make sure your network is up and keep trying... roll

#20 2008-08-31 02:08:01

hack.augusto

I had the exact same problem.

In my case the problem was the internet connection, I had my modem working in routing + bridging and I did my pppoe connection with the pppd (and configuring with the rp-pppoe), the solution was to change the modem to only routing, than the modem did the job of authenticate and get the ip address, and in the setup I just needed configure the dhcp, after that it worked in the first trial and with a really god download rate (about 100KB/s)

#21 2008-08-31 18:52:46

Lazer
Banned

Solution: Remove /tmp/.pkgcategory

You people talking about how this is a network-related problem are pretty funny because you never even provide a rationale for it besides seeing a DHCP error. However I just experienced this problem and had a correctly-configured network, proven by the fact that I could ping Internet hosts and successfully 'pacman -Sy' on another VC. So I went and tracked the real problem down.

#22 2008-09-01 19:56:19

ploxiln

Well that allows one to pick some packages, but besides not being in categories, not nearly all packages are presented, at least for me, it's still not usable for installation...

#23 2008-09-02 17:03:12

ploxiln

heh silly me, arch package selection routine changed since last I installed, now all of 'base' is installed without any prompting

#24 2008-09-28 21:42:29

hofodomo

I'm not too familiar in working with linux system.  So how exactly do I do this?  Say...I booted from the archlinux install CD.  I logged in as root.  What exactly do I type now?

(I'm using windows, and I'm install archlinux as a secondary system)

#25 2008-10-06 15:51:32

ur25

Lazer wrote:

You people talking about how this is a network-related problem are pretty funny because you never even provide a rationale for it besides seeing a DHCP error. However I just experienced this problem and had a correctly-configured network, proven by the fact that I could ping Internet hosts and successfully 'pacman -Sy' on another VC. So I went and tracked the real problem down.

Can you provide more information on the exact nature of the problem?
Thanks!

Board footer