You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-01 04:03:31

intrados

[SOLVED] Pacman/ldconfig - wrong magic bytes

I have Arch installed on my 4th laptop partition which is pretty small. I was trying to install a package but ran out of room so I rm'd /var/cache/pacman not knowing about -Scc. Now whenever I install a package it returns:

sudo pacman -S most
warning: most-5.0.0a-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets: most-5.0.0a-1  

Total Download Size:    0.00 MB
Total Installed Size:   0.08 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
checking package integrity...
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                   [#################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) upgrading most                                [#################################################################################] 100%
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libIlmImf.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libIex.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libMagickCore.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfltk_images.so.1.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfltk_images.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libMagickWand.so.1.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libHalf.so.4 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libxfprint.so.0.0.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libIlmThread.so.4.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libMagick++.so.1.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libImath.so.4.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libMagick++.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfltk.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libxfprint.so.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libMagick++.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfltk_forms.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfltk.so.1.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libMagickCore.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libIlmThread.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libIlmThread.so.4 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libIlmImf.so.4.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libMagickCore.so.1.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libIex.so.4.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libMagickWand.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libxfprint.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libIlmImf.so.4 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libIex.so.4 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libHalf.so.4.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libMagickWand.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfltk_gl.so.1.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libImath.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfltk_forms.so.1.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libImath.so.4 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfltk_gl.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libHalf.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

The installed programs still seem to work but it's pretty annoying and somewhat worrying. Throughout all this, I was using yaourt. Thanks.

Last edited by intrados (2008-08-02 10:04:19)

#2 2008-08-01 04:07:03

toofishes
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Pacman/ldconfig - wrong magic bytes

I would reinstall the packages that own those libraries just to be sure. Use pacman -Qo to find the owner, then just pacman -S the packages.

#3 2008-08-02 02:38:45

Skarjoko

I have the same problem with ldconfig. It happened after I resized my partitions and had to remove 2 configs from /etc/dbus-1/system.d.

#4 2008-08-02 10:02:54

intrados

I didn't do anything particular but it seems to be fine now. Thanks for the help.

#5 2008-08-03 00:11:13

Skarjoko

The problem still persists for me. Does anyone have a solution for this?

#6 2008-08-03 17:44:54

shining
Pacman Developer

Did you do as toofishes say?
You did not tell us which files were affected by this problem, and which packages you tried to reinstall to solve the problem.
Also check the free space on your partitions (df -h)

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#7 2008-08-03 23:43:17

Skarjoko

Sorry, I probably should've included some more information.

The files were the same as the OP's until about 2 days ago, when they changed to these:

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libnss_mdns_minimal.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libnss_mdns4.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libnss_mdns6.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libnss_mdns4_minimal.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libnss_mdns.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libnss_mdns6_minimal.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

I tried using pacman to find the owner(s) of the files, and found nothing.

I've tried moving them to a different folder, and pacman doesn't complain about them anymore. This won't cause problems in the future, will it?

#8 2008-08-04 00:12:13

shining
Pacman Developer

A simple pacman -S mdns tells you which package owns these files : nss-mdns
But well, I don't know if you need that package, it is not part of a base installation, it is in the extra repo.
So either you installed it manually, or it was pulled as a dependency for another package.
Try running 'testdb' to find if you have any missing dependency.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#9 2009-09-17 21:46:26

senses3

I'm having the same problem with the ldconfig errors, but my list of files is much longer (50+) and for most of the ones i check with pacman -Qo there seem to be no owner for the files. Is my only option going through the huge list of files and deleting each one or reinstalling the packages that the files are owned by? this would likely take a long time and be VERY boring.

Board footer