You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-01 12:29:46

occam

Solutions to problems when going from KDE3 to KDE4

I have converted to KDE4, sort of, partially..  and encountered hosts of problems. Some I found a solution for in this forum, others remain unsolved so far. 
Perhaps there is a wiki subject, or a thread here that collects solutions to such probems, but I have not found it. If there is none - why not?

Currently I am trying to find out how to get into 'administrator mode' in the "system settings", amongst other things.
Changing inittab to look for kdm in /usr/bin instead of /opt/kde/bin was the first solutin I found here;
using gstreamer instead of xine may well be how I can get back sounds;
importing mail from KDE3 worked partially - I lost several mail folders (backed up, I am happy to say)
using su gives me a "root console";
reordering of panels etc is lower on the list

Ok, I can probably solve or work around most problems, but having a "solutions thread" would make life so much easier!

Moduli non sunt multiplicandi praeter necessitatem

#2 2008-08-01 13:06:34

Inkaine

Re: Solutions to problems when going from KDE3 to KDE4

occam wrote:

Currently I am trying to find out how to get into 'administrator mode' in the "system settings", amongst other things.

I have been looking for that one too. And in the end I found the KDE 4.2 Feature Plan. So don't expect it before January 29th 2009. mad The workaround in the meantime is Alt+F2 "kdesu systemsettings".

I back you on a KDE4 wiki page. I have already edited several to reflect the path changes. A central "transition" page would be nice though. I'd offer my help.

Last edited by Inkaine (2008-08-01 13:07:07)

#3 2008-08-01 16:31:12

berbae

Re: Solutions to problems when going from KDE3 to KDE4

Another way I use is to create under root a /usr/share/applications/kde4/systemsettings_root-mode.desktop based on the existing systemsettings.desktop.
In it add the lines :

X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true
X-KDE-Username=root

And change the lines :

GenericName=System Settings
to
GenericName=System Settings - root-mode

Name=System Settings
to
Name=System Settings - root-mode

NoDisplay=true
to
NoDisplay=false

Then the systemsettings in root mode is accessible in the KMenu.

I think it is preferable to use it only for things which cannot be done under user login.

Last edited by berbae (2008-08-01 16:36:17)

Board footer