You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-03 00:07:13

cschep
Website

New Awesome setup, a few questions.

Hello everyone.

Been tinkering away all day on a new lightweight setup using the Awesome WM. I like it a lot, but I have a few simple questions. I've tried searching the forums and the wiki to no avail. Hopefully it isn't because I wasn't looking hard enough!

1.) Background: I've got the background set using nitrogen, I like the tool! But it doesn't stay set on reboot. I'm sure this one is easy, but I can't figure it out. Also, I have to run the tool from a terminal in the directory with the wallpapers. Is there a way to set the default directory it looks for wallpapers at? Does it have one already that I just don't know?

2.) Firefox: It runs well, but there are some UGLIES to sort out. I'm sure GTK2 theme is one of them. The text in the browser looks fine, but the top bar with the tabs and menus has a really ugly font. Any suggested gtk2 themes for the awesome wm? Any good apps for changing them or any good packages with a lot to choose from?

3.) Launcher: is there a way to put "quick launch" style icons on the awesome menu bar?

Sorry if these questions are bone head, I've been slamming my head all day agains the configuration of vim and urxvt and I just don't want to give up. Those things are beasts. I actually ended up ditching urxvt for the xfce terminal and i'm really happy with it.

Any good suggestions for VIM themes?

Just looking to take a break and process some of this stuff before diving back into the config files really. Sorry the questions are a bit scattered, maybe I should have posted this in the newbie corner...feel free to move it!

Thanks!!

#2 2008-08-03 00:23:12

Vintendo
Website

Re: New Awesome setup, a few questions.

1. If you have already set your background once, you can use nitrogen --restore to set the background.

2. That is indeed an GTK2 theme problem, you can use gtk-chtheme for that purpose or use the .gtkrc-2.0 as explained here.

3. No but I like gmrun or dmenu when you bind it to F1 real easy

#3 2008-08-03 05:13:52

pseup

3. You can create iconbox widgets and apply mouse binds to them to spawn whatever application you want. In 2.3 this is as simple as:

iconbox firefoxlauncher
{
    image = "/path/to/icon.png"
    mouse
    {
        button = "1"
        command = "spawn"
        arg = "firefox"
    }
}

#4 2008-08-03 05:17:36

cschep
Website

Cool, so should I put nitogen --restore in my .Xinitrc?

Alright cool, I'm heading into the gtk2 theme customization direction. Thanks! that's a great link.

dmenu, I'll have to search the wiki, seems like the right idea.

Thanks for the response!

#5 2008-08-03 05:28:44

smurnjiff

Zenburn is a good Vim theme.

I prefer dmenu.

Yes, place the nitrogen command in your ~/.xinitrc.

Last edited by smurnjiff (2008-08-03 05:29:29)

#6 2008-08-03 06:40:47

cschep
Website

Cool, got the nitrogen thing worked out just fine.

I'm having troubles making vim look right in the terminal. The default color scheme seems to appear correctly...but when I do desert it doesn't look like it does in gvim. I'd prefer to use vim in the console, anyone using the xfce terminal and have vim looking right? any .Xdefaults I could take a look at to get it going right?

I appreciate the feed back!

Board footer