You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-07 19:27:25

czar

Firefox so slow and Opera won't start

I've always used firefox but latley its become unusable. After a short period my cpu useage spikes to 50-70% and firefox completley freezes. I don't usually have more than 7 tabs (one of them being hulu.com usually) and this problem has just started recently. I figured i'd just switch to opera for a while and see if that fixed the problem but when i try to run opera:

/usr/lib/opera/9.51/opera: error while loading shared libraries libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

however, running "locate libqt-mt.so" returns

/opt/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so
/opt/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
/opt/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3
/opt/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8

so it appears to be there..

Only contributing factor i could think of would be that i had testing enabled for a couple days for kde4, dont' think i syu'd but i could be wrong.

midori seems to work fine, but its not my cup of tea.

thanks to anyone that can shed light on either of these problems.

#2 2008-08-07 20:12:06

kett

Re: Firefox so slow and Opera won't start

Try installing/reinstalling qt3

run "ldconfig -p", and see if those libraries are listed there.  If not, check /etc/ld.so.conf and make sure /opt/qt/lib is listed.

#3 2008-08-07 21:44:48

czar

i reinstalled qt3, same prob.
i ran "ldconfig -p" and theres no libqt-mt there (output to long to put in code tags even) so i checked  /etc/ld.so.conf and i found

/usr/lib/libfakeroot
/opt/kde/lib

so i added /opt/qt/lib as suggested but still same problem.

#4 2008-08-07 21:58:16

skottish
Forum Fellow

czar wrote:

i reinstalled qt3, same prob.
i ran "ldconfig -p" and theres no libqt-mt there (output to long to put in code tags even) so i checked  /etc/ld.so.conf and i found

/usr/lib/libfakeroot
/opt/kde/lib

so i added /opt/qt/lib as suggested but still same problem.

Did you run ldconfig as root afterwards?

#5 2008-08-07 22:06:24

czar

skottish wrote:

Nope, works great now thanks. Didn't know i was supposed to do that. Where can i read up about such things (or what subject should i lookup) so i can troubleshoot this myself next time?

edit: aside from "man ldconfig" i'll read that ofcourse

Last edited by czar (2008-08-07 22:06:45)

#6 2008-08-07 22:20:16

skottish
Forum Fellow

czar wrote:
skottish wrote:

Nope, works great now thanks. Didn't know i was supposed to do that. Where can i read up about such things (or what subject should i lookup) so i can troubleshoot this myself next time?

I learned the same way you just did -- here no less.

#7 2008-08-07 22:35:39

kett

skottish wrote:
czar wrote:
skottish wrote:

I learned the same way you just did -- here no less.

Same Here, I believe smile

#8 2008-08-07 23:39:40

czar

Okay so ldconfig keeps track of the most recent shared libraries to be used by various programs on my system. I need to have directories where shared libraries are kept listed in /etc/ld.so.conf.

That aside, has anyone else been experiencing any huge slowdowns in Firefox like i am? I find it weird that it becomes extreamly slow (20 seconds to respond to a click i'd say)  yet is only using 50-70% of the procesor, which is still an alarming amount obviously but not 100%.
I was thinking i would downgrade some dependencies and see if it would make a difference so i used the script "pactree" found it the "community contributions" forum to see what was there. There was a ton of dependencies, dependencies, dependencies, etc so i don't really know where to start (well actually i'd assume at the top but..). Can someone confirm or disconfirm that this would be a good way to go about it?

#9 2008-08-07 23:46:15

kett

What version of firefox?  Do you have a bunch of addons installed?  Do you have flash installed?

You could try swiftfox from AUR, which are optimized by processor type. 

I'm running firefox 3.0.1 on a 64-bit machine and I can say I have to say it runs pretty well.  I've run the 32-bit one on another machine and had no problems with it either.

#10 2008-08-07 23:57:52

skottish
Forum Fellow

FIrefox3 is performing great on both of my machines. As kett asked, I would question your add-ons first if you have any. Badly written extensions can cause all sorts of problems. You also may consider disabling your cache:

Edit-->Preferences-->Advanced-->Network-->Offline Storage

Last edited by skottish (2008-08-07 23:58:26)

#11 2008-08-08 00:50:45

czar

My addons and flash havn't changed. Its just gotten slow recently and its seemingly sparatic, right now i'm in FF and everythings fine, later it may go to a standstill. killing it doesn't help whens its in a slow episode, when i start it up again its just as slow.

plugins:
Java
openoffice.org
shockwave flash

i'm running the latest version of FF via pacman -Syu

#12 2008-08-08 00:54:41

skottish
Forum Fellow

czar wrote:

My addons and flash havn't changed. Its just gotten slow recently and its seemingly sparatic, right now i'm in FF and everythings fine, later it may go to a standstill. killing it doesn't help whens its in a slow episode, when i start it up again its just as slow.

plugins:
Java
openoffice.org
shockwave flash

i'm running the latest version of FF via pacman -Syu

Your plug-ins are fine. It's extensions or add-ons like Flash Block, Ad Block, User Agent Switcher -- stuff like that.

Tools-->Add-ons

These aren't great examples though; They all work correctly.

#13 2008-08-08 00:59:33

czar

I have no extentions or add-ons so i guess i'll just scratch my head and use opera for a while. Thanks for your help guys

#14 2008-08-08 01:21:20

smurnjiff

I suggest creating a new profile and seeing if the performance is better.

#15 2008-08-09 22:13:43

chimpyw

I used to get spikes in FF3 a lot when scrolling which was slow and jerky with a second or so delay.  if you put 'export MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1' into your bashrc/zshrc that solved all the scrolling and spikes you get.  I think what this option does is disable something like anti-aliasing on certain characters (like Cyrillic or kanji I think) but can't remember too well.

#16 2008-08-12 20:16:17

soylent_green_is_hamster

FF3 runs really slow for me too, even with only a few tabs open. Some sites can really kill it, and the CPU spikes badly. My hardware is *really* old though. I'm running a 1.7Ghz P4

Opera runs better...

Board footer