You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-09 00:55:20

luuuciano

enabling a bluetooth mouse, wich is the right way?

I have added/changed
HCID_ENABLE=true
HIDD_ENABLE=true
to /etc/conf.d/bluetooth
as it says in http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth_Mouse
and then I did:
/etc/rc.d/bluetooth start

just that... and the mouse started to work...

after a reboot I did the same (/etc/conf.d/bluetooth), and nothing... do not work...

hci_usb bluetooth hidp l2cap are loaded automagically at startup... (they are not un de rc.conf modules section, but I can see them in lsmod)

any idea?
I was just lucky only one time?

I arch, you arch, he arch, she arch, we arch, they arch...

#2 2008-08-11 06:34:56

Zerathidune

Re: enabling a bluetooth mouse, wich is the right way?

do you have HIDD_OPTIONS set to "--connect <mac address of mouse>"?

#3 2008-08-11 07:46:06

riverscn
Website

you can install bluez

#4 2008-08-11 09:41:18

tomk
Forum Fellow

If he has the conf and init files, then he has the bluez packages...

To start it at boot time, add bluetooth to the rc.conf DAEMONS array. You don't need to edit /etc/conf.d/bluetooth at each restart, just for the initila setup,which you have already done.

#5 2008-08-13 00:03:23

luuuciano

Hi! thanks a lot for the tips...

I made the step by step again, and it works!

doing "hidd --search", as root, the mouse start to work... (in fact, I think that the problem was that, the second time I tried using my regular user

One last question...
I have to do that command every restart? it is better use it that way?
or maybe it is better to find something to automate it?

I arch, you arch, he arch, she arch, we arch, they arch...

#6 2008-08-13 01:22:23

ssjlegendx
Website

Try editing the relevant line in /etc/rc.d/bluetooth to read:

HIDD_ENABLE="true"

Also, note that you'll have to re-edit this line every time that bluez-utils is upgraded.

#!/vim/rocks

#7 2008-08-13 01:33:24

Zerathidune

I think you mean /etc/conf.d/bluetooth

also, to avoid having to re-edit the config every time the package it belongs to gets upgraded, you can put:

NoUpgrade  = etc/conf.d/bluetooth

in the [options] section of /etc/pacman.conf

type man pacman.conf for more detail.

#8 2008-08-13 02:38:38

ssjlegendx
Website

Zerathidune wrote:

I think you mean /etc/conf.d/bluetooth

No, /etc/rc.d/bluetooth is what I meant; both files have an HIDD_ENABLE setting.

Try editing that file (as described in my previous post), and then restart the bluetooth daemon by issuing (as root or using su[do]):

/etc/rc.d/bluetooth restart

Also, thanks (to Zerathidune) for the NoUpgrade tip; however, since that is the daemon startup script, I don't think it's the best idea to prevent Pacman from upgrading it.

Last edited by ssjlegendx (2008-08-13 04:18:40)

#!/vim/rocks

#9 2008-08-13 02:48:37

Zerathidune

Yes, both files have the option, however, the one in rc.d is there only in case it is not set in conf.d (i.e. they are defaults.) Read the file (if you have knowledge of bash syntax that is, otherwise you will have to learn or trust me.) after the rc.d file sets all those variables, it sources the conf.d file, so if those variables are also defined in the conf.d file, they will be overwritten. The files in /etc/conf.d are meant as configuration files for the scripts in /etc/rc.d/. the scripts themselves should not be modified.

Editing rc.d/bluetooth will work (although only if nothing is set in conf.d/bluetooth,) but it is not the correct way to do this.

#10 2008-08-13 03:23:49

ssjlegendx
Website

Zerathidune wrote:

Yes, both files have the option, however, the one in rc.d is there only in case it is not set in conf.d (i.e. they are defaults.) Read the file (if you have knowledge of bash syntax that is, otherwise you will have to learn or trust me.) after the rc.d file sets all those variables, it sources the conf.d file, so if those variables are also defined in the conf.d file, they will be overwritten. The files in /etc/conf.d are meant as configuration files for the scripts in /etc/rc.d/. the scripts themselves should not be modified.

Editing rc.d/bluetooth will work (although only if nothing is set in conf.d/bluetooth,) but it is not the correct way to do this.

Hmm... In the past, it has not worked for me without editing the daemon script (even though I seem to have the options configured correctly in /etc/conf.d/bluetooth). I am, indeed, familiar with BASH syntax, and it's quite obvious that you're right. I'm not sure why I've had problems with it.... (Thanks, Zerathidune, for setting me straight about that. big_smile)

Back to the OP's issue... Contrary to the wiki, I don't actually have the --connect bit in my own HIDD_OPTIONS. My next suggestion would be to inspect /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf. From my own configuration file, the relevant options seem to be as follows:

options {
    autoinit yes;
    pairing multi;
}

My own Bluetooth mouse works well... but it's been a while since I configured it....

Edit:

A little while back, I was involved in this thread, which discusses a similar (perhaps still unresolved) issue.

Also, I think that the hcid.conf options I posted above might be the defaults....

Last edited by ssjlegendx (2008-08-13 04:00:23)

#!/vim/rocks

Board footer