You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-09 19:18:20

void.pointer

uploading packages

Hi,

I recently got the ABS tree and updated the subversion package to 1.5.1. I've verified it works by doing pacman -U, and now I would like to upload it so everyone else can enjoy it. I found the original package from here by grabbing the abs tree, but I also noticed a repository here. I'm assuming the former would receive the update. I'm also guessing the latter is for unverified, new, community packages. I'm not sure how the package review process goes, and I haven't seen anything on it in the Wiki.

How can I upload this new package?

Last edited by void.pointer (2008-08-09 19:19:19)

#2 2008-08-09 19:23:50

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: uploading packages

Hi again void.pointer,

The short answer is that if you upload it to AUR, it will be deleted unless you add some special features not included in the vanilla package. Subversion was already flagged out of date and will be updated soon.

#3 2008-08-09 19:28:45

void.pointer

Well I am new to archlinux, and while I make the best effort to read the Wiki when I can, I still am having trouble understanding how the whole package system works here.

I figured it was simple: I knew it was flagged out of date, but I didn't care to wait for someone else to update it (Who knows how long that will take). So I took the liberty of doing it myself. Since I went through the work, I figured I could simply be the one to update it. From how things sound it isn't that simple.

Could you explain the difference between the two pages I linked before? They both allow searching for packages, but each page's search yields different results. Also, why would it be deleted if I uploaded it? I guess it would be once it is un-flagged?

#4 2008-08-09 19:50:04

skottish
Forum Fellow

void.pointer wrote:

I figured it was simple: I knew it was flagged out of date, but I didn't care to wait for someone else to update it (Who knows how long that will take). So I took the liberty of doing it myself. Since I went through the work, I figured I could simply be the one to update it. From how things sound it isn't that simple.

This is why ABS exists. It allows the user access to the basics of packages so that you can do what you just did, or if you want to try a patch or a new feature there's an easy way to create a package around it. Many times I've done exactly what you just did because I didn't want to wait for the package "owner" to update.

void.pointer wrote:

Could you explain the difference between the two pages I linked before? They both allow searching for packages, but each page's search yields different results. Also, why would it be deleted if I uploaded it? I guess it would be once it is un-flagged?

The difference between the two links is this: the former link is the official Arch package database (as you know). Any package that's listed there will be in Core, Extra, or Testing. These packages will be as vanilla as possible and are supported by an Arch developer.

The latter page is the Arch User Repository. Anyone can add packages there, but version bumps of official packages will be removed because they will be updated soon and ABS exists. An important note about AUR is that sometimes you'll see a link 'CVS' instead of the usual "Tarball :: Files :: PKGBUILD" section. That means that the package has been moved to Community and is in the official repos now.

#5 2008-08-09 20:02:17

void.pointer

So when if I upload subversion to AUR, you're saying it'll be immediately removed because it already exists in the official repository? Or, are you saying that it will be removed once the official repository updates it?

#6 2008-08-09 20:32:57

skottish
Forum Fellow

void.pointer wrote:

So when if I upload subversion to AUR, you're saying it'll be immediately removed because it already exists in the official repository? Or, are you saying that it will be removed once the official repository updates it?

It will be removed because it's no different than the one that's going to end up in the official repos. AUR is for unique versions of things, and while your's is unique right this second, it won't be for long. If you patched it to add a new feature, that would be different.

Last edited by skottish (2008-08-09 20:33:28)

#7 2008-08-09 20:35:03

void.pointer

So I guess the best option is to just do pacman -U on the new pkg.tar.gz until the official is updated, then uninstall that one and do pacman -S subversion?

#8 2008-08-09 20:44:17

skottish
Forum Fellow

void.pointer wrote:

So I guess the best option is to just do pacman -U on the new pkg.tar.gz until the official is updated, then uninstall that one and do pacman -S subversion?

Just go ahead and install the one that you made, and let pacman catch up with you. There's no need to uninstall it.

#9 2008-08-09 20:56:16

void.pointer

skottish wrote:
void.pointer wrote:

Just go ahead and install the one that you made, and let pacman catch up with you. There's no need to uninstall it.

When you say, "let it catch up with you", do you mean that packages installed via a pkg.tar.gz (through pacman -U) will automatically be overwritten by newer packages with the name name from repositories (via pacman -S)? I guess this means I need to leave the pkgrel the same, but only increment pkgver in PKGBUILD?

Thanks for your help skottish, I really appreciate it!

#10 2008-08-09 21:27:43

skottish
Forum Fellow

void.pointer wrote:
skottish wrote:
void.pointer wrote:

When you say, "let it catch up with you", do you mean that packages installed via a pkg.tar.gz (through pacman -U) will automatically be overwritten by newer packages with the name name from repositories (via pacman -S)? I guess this means I need to leave the pkgrel the same, but only increment pkgver in PKGBUILD?

Thanks for your help skottish, I really appreciate it!

When you build new packages, just make sure that the PKGBUILD info is up to date. For instance:

pkgname=subversion
pkgver=1.4.6
pkgrel=4
pkgdesc="Replacement for CVS, another versioning system (svn)"

Bump up to (like I'm sure you did):

pkgname=subversion
pkgver=1.5.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Replacement for CVS, another versioning system (svn)"

At first when you update your system pacman will tell you that the local version is newer than the one in the repos. This isn't an error -- it's just informational. When pacman catches up to your version, then the message will disappear. Later on when a newer version hits the repos, it will upgrade like any other package.

Your welcome for the help. It's one way that I try to give back to Arch.

Last edited by skottish (2008-08-09 21:28:05)

#11 2008-08-09 21:30:42

void.pointer

Ah, I set pkgrel to 5 when I upgraded it. I didn't know the version change required that it be reset back to 1. When the arch developers upload subversion 1.5.1, will the pkgrel also be 1? If that's true, I wonder how pacman knows which is newer?

#12 2008-08-09 21:50:55

pressh
Developer/TU

void.pointer wrote:

Ah, I set pkgrel to 5 when I upgraded it. I didn't know the version change required that it be reset back to 1. When the arch developers upload subversion 1.5.1, will the pkgrel also be 1? If that's true, I wonder how pacman knows which is newer?

once a new version hits the official repos, pkgrel is set to 1 again.
If you update the package already via abs and set pkgrel to 1, pacman assumes the two versions to be equal and won't update your package, which should be perfectly fine if your package is working like it should.

Once version 1.5.2 will hit the repos, or pkgrel is bumped to 2 for some bugfix or so, your package will be overwritten.

Last edited by pressh (2008-08-09 21:51:51)

Board footer