You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-10 04:11:38

Leigh

AUR guidines question.

I like using kdemod3, and there has been some issues over there during the transition thier having to maintain both kde4 and kde3.

Anyway, Some days ago I submitted a few packages to aur to help out with some things not availiable yet in the kdemod repositories, either for 64bit or 32bit. In doing, so I may have jumped the gun with one package.

In the extra repository the qtcurve-kde3 package (binary) breaks kdemod3. It's a gcc related issue with a old bug report that doesn't yield any info about a fix. Rebuilding the package in extra is a work around.

My question is... since it isagainst aur guidlines to submit a package to aur that is already in the extra repository, would this still apply to a package that requirs rebuilding on the users part to keep it from breaking? It's not unlike fixing a broken PKGBUILD, even though the pkgbuild doesn't need editing. The end result is a rebuild.

Even though rebuilding it is a fix, the binary is no good to kdemod users. It just seems sensible to add a kdemod3 specific qtcurve-kde3 package to aur unstable since it will require building / rebuilding at each update, wich in turns solves any breakage.

I should have asked this prior to submitting qtcurve-kdemod3 to aur. A very rude user brought it to my attention that the package was not permitted. Despite his rudness, he has a point, although I it might be questionable is this case.

If I have broken the guidlines, I didn't mean to. If so, maybe a nice dev can delete this package for me?
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18946

I can maintain it privately on my system, I just thought it would be helpful to kdemod3 users.

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#2 2008-08-10 08:56:21

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: AUR guidines question.

I've deleted the package.

As you said yourself above,

AUR user guidelines wrote:

Check [core], [extra], [unstable], and [community] for the package. If it is inside any of those repositories in ANY form, DO NOT submit the package (if the current package is broken or is lacking an included feature then please file a bug report in FlySpray).

As the package is exactly the same, you can just use ABS and get it working on your system (that is where ABS is for). It would become a mess and confusing if for any official package not working with a particular community project, another version would be uploaded to AUR.

Hope you understand smile

#3 2008-08-10 15:19:36

Leigh

Re: AUR guidines question.

ofcourse I understand. I'm very happy to maintain this privately for my system. It's just very annoying how often this has broken for me. This might be a dumb question because I don't use kde4, but if kde3 is no longer maintained in the normal repositories, why the need to maintain qtcurve-kde3 in extra?

Edit.. Nevermind, it was a dumb question since kdelibs3 is supported in extra. smile

Thanks for deleting!

Last edited by Leigh (2008-08-10 15:48:19)

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

Board footer