You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-11 11:41:56

rps63ifid
Website

Noob question on kernel and nvidia

Question from an Arch noob, based in part on the thread about problems with the nvidia driver updates...

pacman indicates I'm running on kernel 2.6.25.11-1 and nvidia-96xx 96.43.05-4. I've been running Arch for just a couple weeks, and have done a couple of update/upgrades in that period, but not for about a week. With new versions of the kernel and the nvidia drivers apparently "out there" in the repos waiting for me, is there anything in particular I should watch for or are there any words of wisdom I should take into account the next time I run the "pacman -Syu" command to upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

--
/ron

#2 2008-08-11 12:54:40

berbae

Re: Noob question on kernel and nvidia

Personally I always keep backups of the currently running versions of my installed packages, on another partition, in case I had to downgrade a new package which breaks something important.
For the kernel upgrade, read the wiki on the procedure to downgrade a not booting kernel.
Be sure you could boot your machine, either from another Linux partition/installation or from a Linux live CD.
Think beforehand of what you could do in case of problem.
Read the forums to see if there are issues with the new packages.
Look carefully the messages from pacman, before answering yes to the upgrade, and after the installations of the new packages.
If you have doubts, don't upgrade and ask in the forum, or wait for a solution coming, if the problem is already known.

These points should prevent big difficulties from a 'pacman -Syu'.
Good luck.

Last edited by berbae (2008-08-11 13:06:03)

Board footer