You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-11 14:20:10

rooloo

new pacman bug... should I file or not?

What I mean is can pacman be fixed to not worry about upgrading packages that depend on a specific kernel version or atleast not worry enough about the issue to stop pacman from upgrading. nvidia-beta package from AUR doesn't even need to be updated, so why is pacman complaining so much?

I realise I am using a 2.6.27 kernel version, and the way the 177.13 driver is, it will not compile on 2.6.27 kernel without a patch. So the issue can not be a package issue with dependecies.

I think pacman should be smart enough to know that any 'module' requiring a specific kernel will NOT be upgraded unless that specific kernel the module relies on is IN USE at the time a pacman -Syu is issued.

$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 testing is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 archlinuxfr is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: midori: local (0.0.19-1) is newer than community (0.0.18-3)
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: nvidia-beta: requires kernel26=2.6.26
$ uname -r
2.6.27-rc1-zenmm0
$ pacman -Q | grep nvidia
lib32-nvidia-utils 173.14.12-1
nvidia-beta 177.13-1
nvidia-beta-zenmm 177.13-2
nvidia-utils-beta 177.13-1

#2 2008-08-11 14:46:04

klixon

Re: new pacman bug... should I file or not?

You can use IgnorePkg in /etc/pacman.conf for that, like so:

# more stuff above this
[options]
# The following paths are commented out with their default values listed.
# If you wish to use different paths, uncomment and update the paths.
#RootDir     = /
#DBPath      = /var/lib/pacman/
#CacheDir    = /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
#LogFile     = /var/log/pacman.log
HoldPkg     = pacman glibc
IgnorePkg   = nvidia-beta
#XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget --passive-ftp -c -O %o %u
# more stuff below this

Is that what you're looking for?

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#3 2008-08-11 14:56:45

rooloo

klixon wrote:

You can use IgnorePkg in /etc/pacman.conf for that, like so:

# more stuff above this
[options]
# The following paths are commented out with their default values listed.
# If you wish to use different paths, uncomment and update the paths.
#RootDir     = /
#DBPath      = /var/lib/pacman/
#CacheDir    = /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
#LogFile     = /var/log/pacman.log
HoldPkg     = pacman glibc
IgnorePkg   = nvidia-beta
#XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget --passive-ftp -c -O %o %u
# more stuff below this

Is that what you're looking for?

no, because I do not want to ignore the pkg. If the AUR entry updated for nvidia-beta and I was using the kernel26 arch default kernel at the time I run pacman -Syu I want nvidia-beta to update or complain that the kernel is to new. But, if I am using my zenmm kernel, then I do not want pacman to complain over nvidia-beta and not update for any reason, because nvidia-beta is a module for the other kernel(default arch kernel).

it's a bug if you ask me, zenmm kernel and arch kernel both need nvidia modules istalled. But when issuing pacman -Syu commands pacman will complain and exit, because pacman thinks the package(nvidia-beta) is dependent upon the current booted kernel. IT SHOULD NOT

Last edited by rooloo (2008-08-11 15:02:07)

#4 2008-08-11 15:07:55

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

It doesn't think the package is dependent on the current booted kernel.  It only deals with the packages INSTALLED, not the packages RUNNING.

You have kernel26 installed, yes?  The nvidia-beta package on your system depends on kernel26 with version 2.6.26 - something in the update is trying to update kernel26, and nvidia-beta doesn't like that.

-edit-

I'll clarify the error message for you, that might help:

You're getting this message.

What the message means is this:

:: nvidia-beta: requires kernel26=2.6.26 but this update will remove kernel26=2.6.26, and hence we can't continue

#5 2008-08-11 15:16:59

rooloo

Cerebral wrote:

It doesn't think the package is dependent on the current booted kernel.  It only deals with the packages INSTALLED, not the packages RUNNING.

You have kernel26 installed, yes?  The nvidia-beta package on your system depends on kernel26 with version 2.6.26 - something in the update is trying to update kernel26, and nvidia-beta doesn't like that.

-edit-

I'll clarify the error message for you, that might help:

You're getting this message.

What the message means is this:

:: nvidia-beta: requires kernel26=2.6.26 but this update will remove kernel26=2.6.26, and hence we can't continue

nope, that is not it. the kernel is already updated and running. uname -r returns kernel26-2.6.27-rc1-zenmm which is newer then a 2.6.26 kernel that nvidia-beta package is dependent on. Here is the kicker the nvidia-beta is a module for the default arch kernel. I have two kernels installed.

Kernel26-2.6.26-ARCH --- nvidia-beta
Kernel26-2.6.27-rc1-zenmm0 --- nvidia-beta-zenmm

the one currently running during -Syu is not the dependecy for nvidia-beta, pacman believes this to be the opposite.

But this is not a package issue as the 177.13 beta drivers from nvidia are only usable on 2.6.26 kernels, there is a patch coming out for the 2.6.27-rc1 kernels(I have it in use now for my nvidia-beta-zenmm package). You can't compile the nvidia-beta drivers with the patch for 2.6.26 kernels. Not that I am aware of, so they have to be kept seperate. I think <-- this is where I am sort of lost at.

Last edited by rooloo (2008-08-11 15:23:53)

#6 2008-08-11 15:26:14

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

You're not listening to me.  I've said it once, I'll say it again - pacman doesn't care which kernel you're currently running.

The most recent kernel26 in the repos is kernel26-2.6.26.2-1, which is NOT 2.6.26 exactly.  When you run -Syu, pacman wants to update kernel26 to 2.6.26.2, but the nvidia-beta package was created to require 2.6.26.  Nvidia-beta needs to be fixed.

#7 2008-08-11 15:31:52

rooloo

Cerebral wrote:

You're not listening to me.  I've said it once, I'll say it again - pacman doesn't care which kernel you're currently running.

The most recent kernel26 in the repos is kernel26-2.6.26.2-1, which is NOT 2.6.26 exactly.  When you run -Syu, pacman wants to update kernel26 to 2.6.26.2, but the nvidia-beta package was created to require 2.6.26.  Nvidia-beta needs to be fixed.

so what I really wanna do is update pacman and kernel before I update any other packages. Extremely confusing, because the error does not really specifiy the problem.

How does one see which packages pacman is trying to update? why does pacman just exit? seems to me would be more beneficial if it outputed the problematic package(s)

Last edited by rooloo (2008-08-11 15:34:25)

#8 2008-08-11 15:39:15

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

It does output the problematic packages, albeit in a cryptic way. 

The "problematic packages" here are nvidia-beta and kernel26.

I don't know where you got nvidia-beta from, because the version in the AUR depends on kernels <2.6.26, so I'm going to take a guess and ask if you modified the nvidia-beta PKGBUILD (to have kernel26=2.6.26 in the depends) and built it from hand?  This needs to change to kernel26>=2.6.26 and kernel26<2.6.27 if you want to explicitly state that it won't work with 2.6.27.

In any case, before you can update, the dependencies in the nvidia-beta package you have need to be fixed.

#9 2008-08-11 16:03:07

rooloo

This needs to change to kernel26>=2.6.26 and kernel26<2.6.27

Ah ha, now I see what I am doing wrong. I guess it all matters at how you look at it. I was trying every combination but the right one. with this depends line, I should be safe till 2.6.27 comes out.

Thanks for the explanation, I was just getting confused because for the first time I got more stuff installed and working then I really need.

Board footer