You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-24 21:33:39

kaloyer
Website

Another DHCP vs. Arch problem

OK, I have DHCP on my router and I have Arch set up for the internet(that's how I'm writing this) but on bootup and when I do

/etc/rc.d/network start

I get the following error message:

:Starting Network:                       [BUSY]

dhcp:Unknown host                              [FAIL]

I know it has something to do with resolv.conf, but when I put
nameserver 192.168.1.1
in there for my router, it still has the same error. I can connect to http://192.168.1.1 through my browser, I just don't know how to set this up.[/code]

He who opens the windows lets the bugs in...

#2 2004-06-25 00:06:21

mcubednyc

Re: Another DHCP vs. Arch problem

kaloyer wrote:

I know it has something to do with resolv.conf, but when I put
nameserver 192.168.1.1
in there for my router, it still has the same error. I can connect to http://192.168.1.1 through my browser, I just don't know how to set this up.

I never put anything in /etc/resolv.conf ... as per the installation guide:  "If you use DHCP, this file will be fed with the correct values automatically when networking is started, meaning you can and should happily ignore this file altogether."  That's the case for me.

Are you sure you set up /etc/rc.conf properly?  What are your eth0 values?  Do they match your router settings? And did you set eth0="dhcp" as instructed in the file?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your problem ... you can get online, so why are you then trying to start the network if it's already started?

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - S. Jackson

#3 2004-06-25 01:49:30

kaloyer
Website

the problem seems to be that it sets up my nameservers as

nameserver 68.2.16.248

there are two more but there the same. I know these are dynamic addresses, so does anyone think that could be the problem?

About the network:
I have internet access because i am directly connected to the router, not through another computer, therefore the network is not part of the internet access.

#4 2004-06-25 02:32:07

punkrockguy318
Website

kaloyer wrote:

the problem seems to be that it sets up my nameservers as

nameserver 68.2.16.248

there are two more but there the same. I know these are dynamic addresses, so does anyone think that could be the problem?

About the network:
I have internet access because i am directly connected to the router, not through another computer, therefore the network is not part of the internet access.

A router is a computer.

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#5 2004-06-25 06:05:21

kaloyer
Website

what i meant was, my linksys whatever acts like a computer, that's how it does the dhcp

#6 2004-06-25 08:36:54

noprob
Website

the way my DHCP is configured tho I might add a royal pain in the dairy air
surely attrib to my expertise or possibly to my newbieitis. big_smile

/ect/rc.conf

#lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
#eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
#INTERFACES=(lo)

then in said configuration file I have:

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo)

below that I have :

gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

I also have "network" loading in my DAEMONS=(syslogd network ect ect)

host.allow configuration file is commented out I have done nothing to it,but
host.deny all is commented out except

ALL:ALL:DENY

all done I ride the waves of cyberspace,tho being dual booted with winDOwS 98SE I sometime usually have to shut off then turn on computer to allow arch to access the WWW/Net cause arch does not like mr. gates

p.s.not bad for a newbie just learnin'?
EDIT
as i am learning it does look/seem as tho I may need to change:

INTERFACES=(lo) to INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

also arch must be loading dhcpcd from another file/source,but alas I am still most ignorant concerning this only linux flavor I care about,the rest just never got me all fired up.
EDIT#2
not sure what I've done since the time I've posted here last till now,but I'm dead in the water sort of speak.(no internet access via arch)
when I posted the above first time,that is how my DHCP was/is set up also I searched out the module "dhcpcd" to no avail,so I just typed it in where network is,reboot after saved changes & promptly recieved an error msg. on boot up stated line 12 there is an error bla bla,so being a newbie I shall re-install from scratch,since this is only a 2 day old run of arch,definitely not for the faint of heart.(next crux then the world.)heh yah right. roll

#7 2004-06-25 08:56:48

cs25x

dhcp works approximately like this:
broadcast a request, server replies, handshake, assign address, goodbye,
There has to be a dhcp sever on your net,
you need, in /etc/rc.conf

INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

That should assign a n address to eth0. check with

ifconfig

gateways and other stuff has nothing to do with dhcp

The other thing to do is check once again in /etc/rc.conf

DAEMONS=(dhcpcd network )

is there, along with other daemons you need,  no dhcpcd daemon means no dhcp request.

--(*(cs25x--));

#8 2004-06-25 15:16:33

kaloyer
Website

allright, i set up everything as u guys said, and it still gives the same error. in /etc/rc.d i couldn't find any dhcpcd. i can run dhcpcd, but it says it's already running. Could it have anything to do with the fact that i have

gateway="dhcp"
ROUTES=(gateway)

that enables the dhcp gateway. I'll disable it and get back to you on what happens

#9 2004-06-25 15:22:52

kaloyer
Website

OMG i'm such an idiot, i remember reading i was supposed to put dhcp as the gateway, but i wasn't, worked fine, but now samba complains that it can't query the comps on my network. it finds the network, but it says query failed. I'm using xffm, so if anyone know how to fix this, could they help me? Looks like another long and boring search again.  :cry:

#10 2004-06-26 05:24:30

noprob
Website

it loads via /etc/rc.local & is also noted in /etc/.rc.local.tmp

my listing shows four other device(s),script(s),whatever being loaded at startup,while dhcpcd does not have the modprobe prefix just:
dhcpcd eth0 ,below the list.
also my settings are still configured as I first stated & am on arch as I type.
also my curiosity is wondering why the need to do a "network start" for, as at bootup it is auto config to load/run?

#11 2004-06-26 14:46:12

kaloyer
Website

alright, the network is fine, i just need to know how to fix samba. anyone got any ideas.

#12 2004-06-26 19:26:47

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

are you running iptables?
If you are, you are likely just firewalling off your samba communication ports.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#13 2004-06-26 20:17:32

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

kaloyer wrote:

alright, the network is fine, i just need to know how to fix samba. anyone got any ideas.

The question about samba goes in another thread.  Also, you have to be more specific.  There are a couple of things you have to configure to get it going.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#14 2004-06-26 22:16:11

kaloyer
Website

okay, i'm gonna go look around for a while, maybe something will show up

#15 2004-06-28 07:41:40

noprob
Website

I'm not sure what is going on with this cd to hd-install as once I'm up & running the First time all is well.
I remove[#pacman -R ttf-bitstream-vera] uninstalled with no problems(because it is not needed when updating xfree86),then I do a [#pacman -Syu],but before that I do change my desktop settings via Control Center & my root pwd again with no problems.
Thereafter I commence with the system upgrade/update,minus kernel update.all seems to go well with no hitch,I reboot with No access to the internet.
What I am at a loss is I've checked modprobe via rc.local dhcpcd is loading,but without the prefix "modprobe" as the other device(s)script(s),whatever are. :?
Any help would be appreciated.
Keep up the good work all devolopers,pkg.maintainers & all else whom help to make this One of the Best Linux Distros!

arch has bridged the gap to allow this newbie to "learn"  big_smile
EDIT
it seems my network card is of the type that has a bug,but there is also a workaround for it,tho it doesn't seem to activate/engage offen enough for my liking,but I will research this or perhasps probably purchase another newer intel network card (any ideas on network cards other then intel?) as I have a friend in Florida that does Not have this problem with his newer network card which uses the same module "eepro100"
I'm glad it's not arch linux cause i really like it alot "hardware fault"
[Solved] smile

Board footer