You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-12 08:12:23

shiki
Website

Installation through ssh/telnet

Hello. I want to ask an easy question..easy maybe. A blind friend of mine was searching for a distribution just like ARCH linux. He uses Gnome (of course , he needs ORCA), and he just wanted an up-to-date, fast OS. Anyway..

Let's head to the subject: He usually uses a serial cable between the main / backup PC. Add the "console=ttyS0" (maybe I don't remember correctly , but who is experienced, he knows what I mean). Then he uses the backup pc to speak up the console of main pc.

The problem is.. This method works with Debian, Fedora, SUSE and so on. But somehow not working with ARCH. My guess is, ARCH "changes screen" at boot. I mean.. after firing up things, it switches to a blank console, where it says that stuff about root/user login.

Mine / his question: How could we disable that switch or just adjust it correctly to get it working?

TIA.
Best regards
Shiki

#2 2008-08-12 09:06:03

Mazon

Re: Installation through ssh/telnet

Do you mean spawning a getty on a serial device? In that case have a look at /etc/inittab

This link will help you.
http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-set-up-a- … -on-debian

#3 2008-08-12 09:39:39

shiki
Website

Thank you very much. I hope this link will solve our problem. In few hours he'll finish his job and then we'll give it a try. TY again. smile (If anybody knows another useful infos, dont hold em smile)

#4 2008-08-12 11:17:24

Mazon

I have to say my experience with someone blind using a computer is very small. Very intresting,  the world and interaction that a blind person has with his computer, with only one dimension. A line from a braille device or speech from a syntezhiser. Please feel free to ask more questions as i would love to help.

#5 2008-08-12 12:34:55

shiki
Website

He only using Orca and an another speak up application on the slower PC. Well.. easy. He haven't got money for the braille device since it's not cheap.. (heh..cheap is a really 'light' word for it smile). Anyway, he said 2 days ago when he compiled ORCA from SVN, if it's continue like this, it will be like Jaws2. (Jaws is a professional synthesizer for Windows. For ..(again)..high prices.)

I'll ask, that's for sure and thank you again. Ha wanted to use Fedora (we nearly changing distros at the same time, just I can see). BUT There are a lot of system applications using GUI, what is GTK/Gnome apps, but none of em works with ORCA. That's why he sticks with Debian ATM and now he is trying ARCH because I recommended it for him.

(Sorry for being offtopic, if you have anything other question what is not about the topic, just PM me and I'll try to answer it. (I would like to say I give him email/jabber, but he can't speak english very well..).

Board footer