You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-12 15:30:29

The Avatar of Time

k9copy alternatives for the command line?

Hello all,

In the past I have used k9copy for copying my dvd movies. However, I use Fluxbox and I hate the idea of installing 'kdelibs' just to use one application, given it is an excellent one. On top of that i really prefer using the command line to using a GUI app.

So I was wanting a non-KDE alternative to k9copy, and preferably something that is command line based.

I use 'undvd' to rip dvd's onto my computer as .avi's and I was hoping for something real similar to that, still command line, but not a million steps to go through each time. However that's just a preference, steps are fine too.

I have seen that mencoder can be used to copy dvds but I need to make exact copies, ie. I want the menu's and everything still intact, not just the movie itself. K9copy decodes the movie, shrinks the movies (so it will fit on one normal dvd vs. dual layered one), and then copies it to disc, or hard drive, with the menus intact (unless you don't want them I guess....).

So does anyone have any advice on other apps that I could use? Command line isn't a must, though it is hugely prefered. Being non-KDE, however, is a must. Thanks for the advice!

#2 2008-08-12 19:57:46

Army

Re: k9copy alternatives for the command line?

Interesting! Would love to have such a tool as well. In AUR there is lxdvdrip, which you could try out. Unfortunately, the dependency named streamdvd cannot be dowloaded, we'll have to find another source. But seems to be very promising!

#3 2008-08-12 22:32:36

The Avatar of Time

Army wrote:

Interesting! Would love to have such a tool as well. In AUR there is lxdvdrip, which you could try out. Unfortunately, the dependency named streamdvd cannot be dowloaded, we'll have to find another source. But seems to be very promising!

Thanks for the reply.

That seems to be exactly what I want. Any idea how/where to find that missing dependency (streamdvd)? I can't seem to find anything about it. I found a link to what was supposed to be it's homepage but the link didn't work.

I read the comments about lxdvdrip on it's AUR page, and streamdvd doesn't seem to be needed if you don't plan to rip with dvdbackup, and I don't, so I tried removing streamdvd from the dependencie list in the PKGBUILD but lxdvdrip still wouldn't build. Not sure what the problem is.

Anyhow, I hope that I can somehow get this working. It looks like a very nice app.

Thanks again for the info!

***Edited do to incorrect information.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2008-08-13 03:24:20)

#4 2008-08-12 23:04:17

ise
Developer
Website

I'm the maintainer of lxdvdrip and I maintain it further, but the new release doesn't bring any new things and not really some bugfixes. OK, I can delete the missing dependencies. Like I said in the comments of the package:
"streamdvd and libdvdnav are only needed if you use dvdbackup as ripper. And that only happens when the DVD is smaller than 4,7GB. And only if you want it. So, it's not so essential for lxdvdrip."

You can use the included vamps as ripper and then you don't need streamdvd. So just delete streamdvd from the depends array and compile lxdvdrip. Then set in your lxdvdrip.conf "streamtool=vamps" and it should work.

Daniel

Last edited by ise (2008-08-12 23:06:07)

#5 2008-08-12 23:28:27

smurnjiff

You can copy DVD's with `vobcopy -m`.  Then, just burn the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders directly to the disc.

#6 2008-08-13 01:06:03

The Avatar of Time

ise wrote:

I'm the maintainer of lxdvdrip and I maintain it further, but the new release doesn't bring any new things and not really some bugfixes. OK, I can delete the missing dependencies. Like I said in the comments of the package:
"streamdvd and libdvdnav are only needed if you use dvdbackup as ripper. And that only happens when the DVD is smaller than 4,7GB. And only if you want it. So, it's not so essential for lxdvdrip."

You can use the included vamps as ripper and then you don't need streamdvd. So just delete streamdvd from the depends array and compile lxdvdrip. Then set in your lxdvdrip.conf "streamtool=vamps" and it should work.

Daniel

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to say that no one maitained the package, it would seem that I was mistaken smile I should have looked into it better. I edited my above post to fix the mistake.

I am trying to install lxdvdrip via yaourt, and it's not building for me. I remove streamdvd, but I get this:

==> Starting build()...
gcc -g -lm -ldvdread -ldvdnav -lpthread -o lxdvdrip lxdvdrip.c streamanalyze.c ifo.c dvdinfo.c dvdbackup.c dvdcell.c systools.c vaporize.c dvdtools.c dvdcopy.c requant.c cputest.c tcmemcpy.c
systools.c: In function 'IsDvdLoaded':
systools.c:447: error: 'INT_MAX' undeclared (first use in this function)
systools.c:447: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
systools.c:447: error: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [all] Error 1
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build lxdvdrip package.

I am running Arch64, and the first time I tried to build it I didn't add 'arch=', but the output said that yaourt does it automatically. The second time I tried I went ahead and add 'arch=(x86_64)' to the PKGBUILD. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I wouldn't think it would help, but I may try building it manually, without yaourt.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2008-08-13 03:26:08)

#7 2008-08-13 01:25:42

The Avatar of Time

smurnjiff wrote:

You can copy DVD's with `vobcopy -m`.  Then, just burn the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders directly to the disc.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to give it a try. I think I would still need something to shrink it with though, so that I could go from a dual-layered dvd to a normal one.

#8 2008-08-13 04:10:07

The Avatar of Time

Ah, I see now that there is a patch needed to get lxdvdrip to build. I missed that somehow. However, I'm not entirely sure how to go about applying a patch, I haven't ever had to do it.

I have the PKGBUILD for lxdvdrip, and I got the patch from here: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196911

But I don't understand how to add the patch to the PKGBUILD (I assume that's what I do with it). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#9 2008-08-13 11:52:17

daneel971

Place the patch in the same dir as the PKGBUILD ans add it to the source array (and remember to generate the md5).
Then edit the PKGBUILD adding a line after unpacking and before configure: there's an example in the wiki
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Patching_in_ABS
in the section "Applying patches".
The "strip path" option (-p) should be 4, in your case.

#10 2008-08-13 12:22:48

ise
Developer
Website

I have updated the package in the AUR. For version 1.71 there is no patch needed. Works here without problems.

Daniel

#11 2008-08-13 14:29:54

The Avatar of Time

ise wrote:

I have updated the package in the AUR. For version 1.71 there is no patch needed. Works here without problems.

Daniel

Thank you for doing that. I just tried it and it built fine for me. Now to test it out. Looks like a great app, I hope it suits my needs well. Keep up the good work.

#12 2008-08-13 14:31:15

The Avatar of Time

daneel971 wrote:

Place the patch in the same dir as the PKGBUILD ans add it to the source array (and remember to generate the md5).
Then edit the PKGBUILD adding a line after unpacking and before configure: there's an example in the wiki
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Patching_in_ABS
in the section "Applying patches".
The "strip path" option (-p) should be 4, in your case.

Thanks for the info. I don't know how I missed the Wiki entry, I read two others about ABS. Looks like I won't have to use a patch this time, but at least I will know how in the future.

Thanks again.

#13 2008-08-13 18:49:18

Army

Great!!! I'll try it out, very looking forward to this app! Thanx ise for the package and the app in general smile

#14 2008-08-16 04:59:26

The Avatar of Time

Hello again,

I seem to be doing something wrong with lxdvdrip. I am trying to make an exact copy of a disc, menus, all titles, etc..

I don't seem to see the option for this though. The disc I made ended up only being one title and no menu off the disc.

Could someone help me out and tell me what option I need to use to make a 'mirror' image so to speak of the disc please?

Thanks for any help.

#15 2008-08-16 10:21:07

Rasi
Website

x264enc -iso or xvidenc -iso will dump a video dvd to hd too

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#16 2008-08-18 05:18:18

The Avatar of Time

Rasi wrote:

x264enc -iso or xvidenc -iso will dump a video dvd to hd too

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into those.

Another thing that I should have mentioned is that I have two dvd burners and I would like to be able to copy the movies on the fly if possible. If not, then at least still use the two seperate burners, one to read and one to burn.

Thanks.

#17 2008-08-19 04:40:17

whukes

Dont know if it's what you're looking for but handbrakecli is what I use for dvd ripping

#18 2008-09-26 05:04:24

The Avatar of Time

whukes wrote:

Dont know if it's what you're looking for but handbrakecli is what I use for dvd ripping

I gave handbrakecli a try. It's an excellent app for ripping.

I have 2 dual core CPUs so the fact that it uses them all makes it much, much faster than undvd. I could have saved myself alot of time if I had used it from the beggining. It's also nice that I can specify the output size of the ripped file.

As to lxdvdrip, I seem to be missing something. I tried to copy a DVD that has 4 episodes on it. The result only had one episode and no menu. Apart from that it did a great job quality wise and what not.

Does anyone have any advice on what I may be missing? I just want to copy/mirror the entire DVD menus and all from a dual layer DVD to a single layered one. Thanks.

#19 2008-09-26 05:18:42

skottish
Forum Fellow

Search AUR for dvdshrink. There are two. I haven't used the software so I can't tell you how good they are.

#20 2009-03-23 19:59:07

brisbin33
Website

i'm aware this is an older thread, but it seems as appropriate place as any.

i been slowly building a function/alias/script toolkit to accomplish all of my burning needs via CLI and now i'm trying to replace k9copy. 

i found a ridiculously long script on some forum which i've began tailoring to my needs.  essentially it does this:

tccat/tcextract the DVD into separate audio and video streams
tcrequant the video stream down below 4.3G
mplex the streams back together into an mpeg
mkisofs the mpeg into an iso
burn the iso

simple right?

a few things started to get me thinking at this point; i couldn't find tcrequant anywhere (all the other tc* commands are available via transcode) it seems to look like vamps is the program for that job which i now know is what k9copy does in the background anyway.

what i can't find is the actual invocation syntax for vamps

tcrequant was called like this:

$ tcrequant -i $inputfile -o $outputfile -f $factor

and it only works with video filetypes (hence, the split required in step one).

the somewhat lacking vamp help/man page makes me think vamps can operate directly on the dvd, but how is this accomplished?

vamps /dev/sr0 -e $factor ?

what would this do? where does it output? what filetype?

there seems to be no inputfile / outputfile options for vamps and apparently this is a feature for saving disk space, but i can't really work it into my script without understanding how it operates a little more.  (even google's a bit lacking on the subject i've found)

i'd like to polish off this script then post it for trouble free repeatable rip/compress/burning fun for all.

any help, as always, much appreciated.

edit: s/vamp/vamps/g

edit2: tcrequant was removed from transcode [1]

WIP code pastebin'd here feel free to take a look

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-03-23 20:16:46)

#21 2009-04-07 08:38:04

DonVla

The Avatar of Time wrote:

Hello all,

In the past I have used k9copy for copying my dvd movies. However, I use Fluxbox and I hate the idea of installing 'kdelibs' just to use one application, given it is an excellent one. On top of that i really prefer using the command line to using a GUI app.

So I was wanting a non-KDE alternative to k9copy, and preferably something that is command line based.

I use 'undvd' to rip dvd's onto my computer as .avi's and I was hoping for something real similar to that, still command line, but not a million steps to go through each time. However that's just a preference, steps are fine too.

I have seen that mencoder can be used to copy dvds but I need to make exact copies, ie. I want the menu's and everything still intact, not just the movie itself. K9copy decodes the movie, shrinks the movies (so it will fit on one normal dvd vs. dual layered one), and then copies it to disc, or hard drive, with the menus intact (unless you don't want them I guess....).

So does anyone have any advice on other apps that I could use? Command line isn't a must, though it is hugely prefered. Being non-KDE, however, is a must. Thanks for the advice!

tovid: http://code.google.com/p/tovid/

#22 2009-04-07 13:15:57

brisbin33
Website

FWIW, i've finished my DVD backup script.  take a look.

#23 2009-04-07 13:19:50

brisbin33
Website

wizzerd02 wrote:

Usage: vamps [--evaporate|-e factor] [--ps-evaporate|-E factor]
[--audio|-a a-stream,a-stream,...]
[--subpictures|-s s-stream,s-stream,...] [--verbose|-v]
[--inject|-i injections-file]
[--preserve|-p] [--ps-size|-S input-bytes]

So to use...

vamps -e 1.50 -a 1 < /mnt/data/full_size.vob  > /mnt/data/reduced_sized.vob

the 1.50 comes from dividing the full size VOB by the desired size of the reduced size VOB.  So if your full sized vob was 7.5Gb and you wanted a 5Gb vob you would use -e 1.5.

Hope this helps

thanks for the help, the "< in.vob > out.vob" syntax was what i was missing.  i tried `cat in.vob | vamps -opts > out.vob` which i thought was essentially the same thing.  oh well, now i know.

#24 2009-05-24 05:03:47

The Avatar of Time

DonVla wrote:

Hello all,

tovid: http://code.google.com/p/tovid/

Thank you, I am checking tovid out now.

Also to brisbin33 I am looking into your script as well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

#25 2009-05-26 01:19:34

brisbin33
Website

Also to brisbin33 I am looking into your script as well.

hey, hope you like it; it's been working well for me for the past couple months.  as an FYI, the most up to date version is always at http://pbrisbin.com:8080/bin/dvdcopy (it's a symlink to my actual ~/bin).  enjoy it.

Board footer