You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-13 06:08:00

adamruss

kde4 - my problems

ok i did the move from gnome to kde4, it is usable, but i have some problems that mybe there is an easy solution but i cant seem to find it, i'm using the arch packages for kde (no kdemod) with some additions from AUR:

1. Systray is ugly, buggy:
systray.jpg
gtk apps look terrible on the systray, is there anything to do? or just wait...?

2. Network / Wlan manager for kde4? im now working with wicd which i love, but it is a gtk app... i installed kwlan-svn, but i cant do anything with it, it keeps complaining the wpa-supplicant cant be activated.. do i need "networkmanager" backend support? how do people manage there wired/wireless network on kde4?

3. Keyboard shortcuts - dont work. Alt+F? works, but nothing else... Alt+t for terminal dont work, and i cant seem to set shortcuts, i tried in "system settings --> keyboard & mouse" and in "system settings --> input actions" but nothing seem to work. i tried running khotkeys but nothing happend...

4. cant add new plasmoids....

5. i'm using gtk-qt-engine-svn from AUR, cant see check box's on gtk apps, anoying.

6. Firefox looks terrible, even with kde4+firefox3 theme.

i thank you for any suggestion on any issue.

#2 2008-08-13 07:22:20

INCSlayer
Website

Re: kde4 - my problems

1. mine looks alright i only have squares around the icons and not the big black box
2. using wicd-svn haven't noticed that it uses gtk
3. they all work no idea why
4. i have only added one which is a weather one that was avilable in aur
5. i use gtk-chtheme since qtk-qt-engine-svn is not very good atm
6. i use the standard firefox theme and it looks alright for me

NOTE: i am using kdemod and qtcurve as an overall theme

dovie andi se tovya sagain

#3 2008-08-13 08:30:02

Barghest

I also used KDEMod but switched back to openbox as I encountered as many problems as you.

1. Mine only have some ugly black boxes around, preventing me from using a lighter theme ;b
3. I couldn't set shortcuts, too. I've seen a thread in the kdemod forums but it isn't solved there.
4. I didn't care about plasmoids. I only use the one that gives you a small icon fo quick access to a folder and it worked.
6. Firefox (and other gtk-apps) looked ugly too, even with qtcurve (I have to admit that I was too lazy to try out more configurations ;b ). Additional some buttons were absent.
7. Dolphin crashed all the time. I couldn't figure out, what actions caused it as it happened while doing different things.

As I already said, I switched back to openbox and I'm happy with it (just missing the "Expose function"....and pypanel doesn't start anymore at startup, although I'm using my old .xinitrc)

#4 2008-08-13 08:46:24

adamruss

Allright!

* qtcurve-gtk2 has solved problems 5 & 6 ! thanks!

* the systray looks like this because of a light theme for plasma, so here is a photo for a dark theme:

systray2.jpg

* wicd-svn seems cool

Last edited by adamruss (2008-08-17 09:41:57)

#5 2008-08-13 14:01:16

SoftVision

Apparently someone ported Oxygen pretty nicely to gtk2: http://www.kims-area.com/?q=node/62
I just downloaded it and looks great.

#6 2008-08-17 09:18:45

laumars

SoftVision wrote:

Apparently someone ported Oxygen pretty nicely to gtk2: http://www.kims-area.com/?q=node/62
I just downloaded it and looks great.

Awesome! Thanks

Do you know if there's a KDE3 oxygen theme too?

Board footer