You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-13 14:46:22

windowbreaker

[SOLVED] Wine & MS Office - can't open word doc

I cannot open a Word (*.doc) document by double clicking it.  It works with XLS documents which open in Excel.  When I double-click a DOC file, Word will launch, but won't load any file.  It gives an error saying

Word experienced an error trying to open the file.
Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
* Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.
* Open the file with the text recovery converter.

If I open Word and click on File->Open, I can open the file by browsing for it without a problem.

Any ideas?

Last edited by windowbreaker (2008-08-13 14:51:38)

#2 2008-08-13 14:51:22

windowbreaker

Re: [SOLVED] Wine & MS Office - can't open word doc

I just solved this myself.  Can't believe after all this time, and I solve it 2 minutes after posting a thread.  Anyways, here's how I did it in case it helps anyone else.

I right-clicked a DOC file, and selected the open with tab.  I removed the 3 entries titled "wine" (no idea why there were three).  I then saved changes.  Then I right-clicked a DOC file and selected Open With Application.  In the menu of apps, I clicked on Wine Program Launcher and clicked OK.  Now everytime I click a DOC file it opens properly.

Cheers.

#3 2009-08-13 11:47:24

foggybrain

I'm having simular problems opening mp3 etc with "open with" Adobe Audition, always worked before last wine upgrade. Same thing happening with virtualdub and other wine apps

#4 2009-08-13 11:52:00

Allan
Pacman
Website

Please start a new thread.  See: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … Bumping.27

It is unlikely you will get much help in a topic marked as solved anyway...

#5 2009-08-13 12:59:55

foggybrain

Sorry, I was just gonna add that I have solved the problem in a simular way.

After clearing old ~/.wine folder and re-installing wine and windows programs again, I have noticed there are loads of program duplicates in the Nautilus "properties">"open with">"add"  list. Changing to the first occurance of the program enabled the file to be launched and opened.

I'm gonna try and rid myself of all the duplicates by removing all old occurances of mime/.desktop entries in ~/.local etc, hopefully after update-mime-database and update-desktop-database this will give me a clean list of programs.

Board footer