You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-14 01:00:53

vertimyst
Website

[Solved]KDE fails to load

I just ran an update a few minutes ago, involving a bunch of kde-related stuff.   After the update I noticed I couldn't open kwrite (via the menu), so I tried alt+f2 to open the klauncher.   That didn't open either, so I hit reboot (on the menu).   Instead of showing the usual reboot dialog, with different options, the screen just went black.   So I hit the power button, and booted back up, but starting KDE failed and I was dumped into a terminal.   I'm posting this in Firefox running under an X session.   Not a ton I can do with that.

I noticed that while shutting down, I get a message seemingly about fam not being found in /etc/rc.d.   Could this be the problem?   Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks.

Edit: I looked in /etc/rc.d, and fam is most definitely not there.   Although now I think of it, I was unable to find and start fam when I first installed kdemod4 and Arch a while ago, so I don't think the missing fam is the problem... installed it via pacman, though, and it starts fine, however I can't start hal now.   KDE still won't start, using XFCE for now.

Update: Ended up reinstalling, works fine now.

Last edited by vertimyst (2008-08-17 23:33:16)

-Vert wink
---------
Free webhosting@http://shadowserve.ath.cx - Currently and soon to go through many changes, still alive! - June 29, 2009

#2 2008-08-14 17:17:55

Aeroz

Re: [Solved]KDE fails to load

Hi,

I have sort of the same problem myself as I did a fresh install of Arch yesterday and went with KDE. I remember not even having a fam daemon so I had to pacman it, even after getting it I used the whole:

/etc/rc.d/fam start
/etc/rc.d/hal start

And while that sort of worked I remember getting some missing message beforehand.

Basically, I am able to get into KDE using:

sudo /etc/rc.d/kdm start

Hope that helps, not sure if its a long term solution or not, I'm very new to Arch/Linux, I don't really like KDE anyways, so I might switch to Gnome but best of luck.

#3 2008-08-14 17:47:22

vertimyst
Website

Re: [Solved]KDE fails to load

I can't even start KDE with that, it fails every time.   Nor can I start fluxbox, just X.   I'm using XFCE for now, but my settings for it are never remembered.

Edit: Well, I just reinstalled KDEmod, and it seems my settings and such are still intact.

Last edited by vertimyst (2008-08-17 23:30:14)

-Vert wink
---------
Free webhosting@http://shadowserve.ath.cx - Currently and soon to go through many changes, still alive! - June 29, 2009

Board footer