You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-25 18:42:49

Leigh

first install, I need alittle help

Ok, im fairly new to linux and managed to do a base install. After some reading I got my cable connetion configured correctly in rc.config. I was able to get on the net and upgrade pacman and the system. I installed kde but now im kind of stuck. when I type startx i get a generic gui and don't know what to do from there other than type exit. I discovered I don't have a xf86config-4 file in the /etc/X11 directory. Do I have to manually create one? I do have Xfree installed and kde installed without any errors. I thought that a generic xf86config-4 file would have been created. Anyway I know alittle from playing with mandrake but I think maybe I like went from the peewee league into the majors with this move to Arch but I'm determined to stay away from Microsoft and want to learn. can somone kind of help me out alittle or point me in the right direction to get my system to boot into kdm and kde. I'm not sure I have kdm installed or if it was installed with the kde package. when I do a pacman -S kdm i get a no such package found. Anyway I would like to have the kdm login screen and hopefully get kde up and running. Thanks for any help.

Leigh

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#2 2004-06-25 18:49:39

neondonkey

Re: first install, I need alittle help

run the xf86config command and follow its directions
edit the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file

delete the last few lines that contain stuff about starting the twm and just add startkde. then issue the startx command and it should work. this will at least get kde to run. and if you've just installed kde, you need to log out and log back in inorder to update your path.

good luck!!

former redhat, fedora, gentoo, slackware user ... have been proud arch user since 2004

#3 2004-06-25 19:08:31

fbidwell

You might want to add kdm into your daemons list in the rc.conf file.  This will start kdm every boot, but like the above post said, you need to setup your xf86config first.

Make sure you know all your monitor settings, like vertical and horizontal sync rates.

#4 2004-06-25 20:54:41

Leigh

Thanks for the help! I feel kinda dumb not knowing about running xf86config command to create the file. All worked out great although I had a mouse problem that I finally fixed. It sure would be nice if the configurator for xf86config helped you to set up dual screens and dual cards but I maraculously got everything working. Anyway thanks again and I think I'm going to really like Arch and learning linux smile I'm trying out distros on this old system and have mandrake and debian and now Arch. I'm pretty sure I'm going to wipe out mandrake even though it was the easiest to install. I like debian cause it taught me alot, but as I can see now, Arch will teach me alot more!

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#5 2004-06-25 21:20:28

xerxes2
Website

good for you!  big_smile
if you got an old pc i recommend xfce4 instead of kde.
I also used mdk/kde before I installed arch but it was just a mess.
if you think xfce's filemanager sucks you can use rox-filer instead.
have fun!

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

Board footer