You are not logged in.

#676 2008-11-07 22:11:46

lejonet

Re: Arch on Asus EEE 901

@niklase

I could enable composite in Xfce and it would work like a charm O.o and a pipe on a swedish 901 layout is fn + alt gr + pipe (z) and I find it annoying that its not alt gr + pipe like its supposed to be tongue

Like I say everytime someone looks at me in a weird way "Hey, im a computer technician, I am allowed to open up everything I can and take a peek inside tongue"

#677 2008-11-08 02:26:00

Etuxia
Website

niklase wrote:

ok, thnx for answers. how is it with composite/mesa/compiz-fusion? what do i need and what works? read somewhere that the intel video driver didnt work with composite.

edit: and how do i do a pipe (|) on swedish 901 with keymap sv-latin1? etuxia?

I never managed to did it before now. I didn't care, I needed it many times but solved it other ways.

@Izuil: fn + alt gr + pipe is working.

EDIT:
btw, I never managed do do | on Xandros too, i is probably the same problem. I had toughs in rewriting my xkb map to fix it...

Last edited by Etuxia (2008-11-08 09:15:59)

#678 2008-11-08 11:55:31

lejonet

@niklase

Just to try and see if composite worked I enabled it yesterday and it works like a charm, completley out of the box too. I am using Xfce as DE and Xfwm4 as my WM and I got absolutley no problem with composite.

All I had to do was enable it in Window Manager Tweaks and it was stable as stable can be tongue I haven't stresstested tho, but if you want I could run a stresstest on it?

Like I say everytime someone looks at me in a weird way "Hey, im a computer technician, I am allowed to open up everything I can and take a peek inside tongue"

#679 2008-11-08 13:56:56

Etuxia
Website

Ok, I created an archmirror for zen-kernels.

I copied all the packages on reberteks server and uploaded it to mine server.

[zen-eee]
Server = http://archeee.konventare.se/

Last edited by Etuxia (2008-11-08 14:03:12)

#680 2008-11-08 14:08:25

niklase

in the end i chose OpenBox, mostly because it had a more detailed wiki than FluxBox. i do like xfce4 also but i'm trying to learn linux from the ground by not taking the easy way out. i'll see how it works out when i get time to set it up.

@lejonet, you do not have to stress it. just wanted to know if it was a future possibility with the intel driver. i think i would like to test it out later.. thnx

#681 2008-11-08 22:33:37

lejonet

@niklase

Okay, linux is a wonderful OS that I just recently (sortof) just have found the joy in. Just tell  me if you want help with a stresstest later on or something, at the moment I am reading up about energysaving and trying to get bootchart to work on my eeepc too fool around even more tongue

@Etuxia

Nice that you got a mirror upp for the kernel, I am going to add it asap

#682 2008-11-08 22:49:21

Etuxia
Website

Hmm, my EeePC go to sleep automatic when I got 5% battery power left. I run no power manager.

#683 2008-11-09 11:30:29

slappinjohn

Etuxia wrote:

Hmm, my EeePC go to sleep automatic when I got 5% battery power left. I run no power manager.

This is a total normal behavior if you have acpi-eee901 installed. In /etc/acpi/eee.conf is a variable defined named BATTERY_CRITICAL_... When battery level get under 5%, an acpi-event is send. The handler will catch it an run the command defined in this variable. Just feel free to change it to your needs.

#684 2008-11-09 20:20:29

lejonet

I just noticed something about enabling the composite extension, every time I restart my eeepc it resets my panel settings. Its a little annoying to set the settings I had and put in the panel-plugins that I had before. I'll see what I can do about it, anyone got any idea what to do except disable composite?

I think it gotta have another solution than to disable composite in the window manager.

#685 2008-11-09 21:10:00

Robertek
Website

Hi guys. I have updated the acpi-eee901.

*) automatic unloading of eee module during suspend, because it can cause some crash (I didnt have wrong suspend since I unload the eee)
*) commands for executing while switching monitors (before, after), I use that because I use EEE now as my main computer with a big lcd. So someone could find it handy.
*) some minor cleanups (I hope I didnt forgot something, becase I did a lot of small cleanups)

I hope I will find some time this week to update the kernel config and recompile the kernel.

Question: Does anyone use external monitor a lot of time? Because I have some nasty xorg bug (I think) that just blank the external monitor after some time of usage (it may be days, hours). I can switch to the LVDS which works, the virtual console shows even duplicated on both monitors, but when I switch back to X and want to use external monitor it stays blank ?!??! Didnt find any solution (xorg restart doesnt help), only reboot.

PS: and I thanks to Etuxia for mirroring my repository, more mirrors are always good thing. (and my server is not so good as you can see)

Last edited by Robertek (2008-11-09 21:11:41)

#686 2008-11-09 21:15:51

Robertek
Website

And next think is collection of wanted kernel configs you miss in my kernel build.

As I see there is question for joydev.

If anything else it is time to collect posts.

#687 2008-11-09 22:50:13

saz

hi guys,

I've been using arch on my 901 for 3 months now, and I never have been able to use firefox in it. I've tried firefox3 from repositories, from aur, firefox 2 from aur, from source, even tried that other one that is based on firefox but lighter.... none  of then even start! and if I try to initiate by console there no output whatsoever, simply doesn't start!

anyone got any idea what may be causing this?

btw: when will there be support for the mic?

Last edited by saz (2008-11-09 23:10:39)

#688 2008-11-10 06:10:46

tung
Website

Do you see anything at the end of ~/.xsession-errors?

Running Arch on Eee PC 901 12 GB

#689 2008-11-10 09:06:15

Foschini

saz wrote:

btw: when will there be support for the mic?

The mic has been supported since zenkernel2.6.26 and standard kernel2.6.27

#690 2008-11-10 09:49:15

slappinjohn

Robertek wrote:

And next think is collection of wanted kernel configs you miss in my kernel build.

As I see there is question for joydev.

If anything else it is time to collect posts.

hi, I'm using openmoko Freerunner and need following opts in config enabled for usb networking

CONFIG_USB_USBNET
CONFIG_USB_NET_CDCETHER 
CONFIG_NETFILTER
- Modules -
CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK
CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_FTP
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES
CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_IPV4
CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES
CONFIG_NF_NAT
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE

Haven't check what is actually already enabled. If it's too much and the kernel will become much larger, leave it as it is and I'll build my own kernel. Thx

#691 2008-11-10 14:32:38

Rumor

saz wrote:

hi guys,

I've been using arch on my 901 for 3 months now, and I never have been able to use firefox in it. I've tried firefox3 from repositories, from aur, firefox 2 from aur, from source, even tried that other one that is based on firefox but lighter.... none  of then even start! and if I try to initiate by console there no output whatsoever, simply doesn't start!

anyone got any idea what may be causing this?

What error do you get when you try to launch it from a terminal?

Smarter than a speeding bullet
My Goodreads profile

#692 2008-11-10 17:25:09

Hiperi0n

Hi. I have recently installed the zen-eee901-1G kernel and now I notice my 1000H's trackpad is awfully slower than before. With the standard 2.6.27 kernel the trackpad was a lot more sensitive than the mouse. Now I only manage to move the pointer just a third of the screen's width. How can I solve this  problem? I have a 1000H and I am using xfce4.

#693 2008-11-10 18:59:05

Etuxia
Website

Hiperi0n wrote:

Hi. I have recently installed the zen-eee901-1G kernel and now I notice my 1000H's trackpad is awfully slower than before. With the standard 2.6.27 kernel the trackpad was a lot more sensitive than the mouse. Now I only manage to move the pointer just a third of the screen's width. How can I solve this  problem? I have a 1000H and I am using xfce4.

I got the same and solved it.

Run this:

xset m 5 4

#694 2008-11-10 19:57:40

Hiperi0n

Etuxia wrote:
Hiperi0n wrote:

Run this:

xset m 5 4

Well, it worked, but I now have my usb mouse too fast. I mean, before the zen kernel my trackpad behave perfectly, with some acceleration and quite high sensitivity, whereas my usb mouse behave diferently, with no acceleration. I think this was the best setup, my ubuntu laptop works this way... is there a way to configure it??

#695 2008-11-10 20:00:54

Etuxia
Website

Hiperi0n wrote:
Etuxia wrote:
Hiperi0n wrote:

Run this:

xset m 5 4

Well, it worked, but I now have my usb mouse too fast. I mean, before the zen kernel my trackpad behave perfectly, with some acceleration and quite high sensitivity, whereas my usb mouse behave diferently, with no acceleration. I think this was the best setup, my ubuntu laptop works this way... is there a way to configure it??

I think you can configure the trackpad more specific in the xorg.conf

#696 2008-11-10 20:27:16

Hiperi0n

Thanks, I will have to find it. However, I don't know how the zen kernel messed with my xorg.conf. I was quite happy until I installed it: The sensitivity was perfect both for mouse and trackpad, the scrolling function worked with two fingers, the console font was a bit bigger... I guess all these things can be configured somewhere but it is quite nasty. I thought that with the zen-eee kernel I'd have wifi but not at this "price"...

Edit: It seems my xorg.conf hasn't been changed, I simply boot with the standard kernel and everything seems fine, except wifi card not being detected. Isn't there a way to tweak those settings with the custom kernel??

Last edited by Hiperi0n (2008-11-10 20:45:03)

#697 2008-11-10 21:15:31

Etuxia
Website

Hiperi0n wrote:

Thanks, I will have to find it. However, I don't know how the zen kernel messed with my xorg.conf. I was quite happy until I installed it: The sensitivity was perfect both for mouse and trackpad, the scrolling function worked with two fingers, the console font was a bit bigger... I guess all these things can be configured somewhere but it is quite nasty. I thought that with the zen-eee kernel I'd have wifi but not at this "price"...

Edit: It seems my xorg.conf hasn't been changed, I simply boot with the standard kernel and everything seems fine, except wifi card not being detected. Isn't there a way to tweak those settings with the custom kernel??

I know there is options for "mouse speed" in the xorg.conf, I can take a look on it on my way home.

#698 2008-11-11 08:24:54

Robertek
Website

Hiperi0n wrote:

kernel doesnt have anything to do with xorg.conf (and it cannot change it). The reason is that zen-eee901 has elantech patch, this means that the touchpad behaves like synaptic and not like ordinary mouse. So you have to configure the touchpad as other synaptics touchpad in other notebooks. With stock kernel you dont need the synaptics config at all because it doesnt recognize it as synaptis but only as 5 button mouse.

Or this may disable elantech at boot (attach to kernel boot command): elantech=0
Dont know if it works or not.

#699 2008-11-11 17:02:12

Hiperi0n

I didn't mean to be rude, sure it is hard to make a kernel for the eee. The elantech=0 option doesnt' work.

I don't understand you well about the touchpad. With the stock kernel my touchpad behaves perfectly, with the "two fingers to scroll up/down" enabled and has a correct sensitivity (for a small touchpad).

I wish I had more knowledge about the kernel and that I could tweak it to my needs. It might have been answered already but, is it possible just to "modprobe" the 1000H's wireless card module and then to be able to use it? Or is it necessary to build a custom kernel or patch it?

#700 2008-11-11 21:30:34

lejonet

@Hiperi0n

There is several settings to fine-tune the touchpad in xorg.conf, ive fine-tuned my three-finger right click and such.

In the Elantech section add either one (or both):
Option "AccelFactor" "<your value here>"#default is 0.0015, I haven't played around that much with just that option so I dunno if high or low is faster/slower (I use 0.0320 and its a little "slow" that others have commented, but I like it :P)
Option "MaxSpeed" "<your value here>" #I haven't played around with this option either but default is 0.18 (I use 0.72 and its "slow" but I like it that way)
In the synaptics section of xorg.conf I found this option:
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.1" #You could of course change that option to something larger or smaller, its the most logical choice for trackpad speed ;)

Board footer