You are not logged in.

#776 2008-11-23 17:46:43

Foschini

Re: Arch on Asus EEE 901

How can I compile vboxdrv module for zenkernel-eee?

#777 2008-11-23 23:37:38

lejonet

fluppet wrote:

anybody got ideas as to getting an external sd card to mount at boot

it throws the error

mount: special device /dev/sdc1 does not exist

it even fails when mount -a is put in rc.local

but as soon as i login and run mount -a it works fine

Its better if you tell it to mount by uuid or by label, seeing as the sdx can change from boot to boot and also during suspend/hibernate (like if you forget to umount /dev/sdb1 before hibernate, hibernate and then remove /dev/sdb1 from the computer, restart and plug what was /dev/sdb1 before and it is now /dev/sdc1)
You can get the uuid by running

ls -lah /dev/disk/by-uuid/

or for label:

ls -lah /dev/disk/by-label/

And you also have to specify the parameter auto in fstab too i.e:

UUID=<uuid goes here> <mountpoint> defaults,user,auto 0 0

That would lead to that the system tries to automount it every reboot (or remount) and put the user as owner, also giving the user the rights to mount and umount it manually (if memory serves me right)

Like I say everytime someone looks at me in a weird way "Hey, im a computer technician, I am allowed to open up everything I can and take a peek inside tongue"

#778 2008-11-24 18:30:26

fluppet

fixed the problem adn it had nothing to do with labels or mount points

i had to regenerate the initrd by adding changing /etc/mkinitcpio-zeneee.conf
to read

HOOKS="base udev usb filesystems"

then running

mkinitcpio -c /etc/mkinitcpio-zeneee.conf -g /boot/zeneee.img

#779 2008-11-24 20:16:51

Robertek
Website

So I was little bit off. And now Im waiting to zen server to became on, to update (if there is).

When the server will be on I will update the sources. Eventhough everything seems like working ok for me. I use now eee as my main system with external monitor and it is ok.

In next acpi release will be choice to unload the eee.
In next kernel release will be suggested configs.

If someone has server with good bandwith I will upload a kernel version with sources, but it is not possible on my server (I did some tweaks but it isnt enough for a lot of dowloads), I dont have bw limit, but it is only 1M/1M connection that is not granted. Im planing to change in the near future to 3M/3M.

It is fine to know that eee module looks like starting to work on 1000 series, If someone has some patches, or suggestions for kernel send me it and I will include them.

Im also testing reiser4 on my second 8G partition, with compression, but plan to purchase some SLC drive in the future. (the second drive is pretty slow)

#780 2008-11-24 20:21:46

Robertek
Website

MrSchlumpf wrote:

wpa_supplicant works great....

I have a question about the wiki:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_Eee_PC_901

In the zen-eee901 Kernel there is no cpufreq-governor-ondemand module?

I have load the modules
acpi_cpufreq
cpufreq_powersave
eee
pciehp
btusb
speedstep_lib

How can I automatically set the cpufreq/fan speed in dependency of the notebook load?

I could find a few daemons like fsb, fam, fancontrol, fsb but no cpufreq daemon?

Please help me

cpufreq-governor-ondemand is compiled in and set as default. So if you insert acpi_cpufreq you will have ondemand allready.

#781 2008-11-24 20:25:55

Robertek
Website

kishd wrote:
tehabe wrote:

Did someone tried the version 0.3.1 of the eee module?

http://code.google.com/p/eeepc-linux/is … tail?id=16

I have an Asus EeePC 1000h. I have compiled and used the asus_eee module with standard kernel 2.6.27.6 compiled with roberteks config (not the zen kernel). It works well on my machine with the acpi-eee901-13... scripts from roberteks repo (thanks robertek). For wireless I used the eeert2860 module from git compiled using roberteks buid script in the PKGBUILD for the zen-git kernel.

Still have to figure out how to enable and disable the bluetooth.

enabling and disabling of bluetooth needs more inkernel hacking so it is not possible "to build it as module".

try my patch http://robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux … .patch.bz2
maybe you will need to find correct files to patch, because stock kernel may be a lot different than zen-sources.

#782 2008-11-24 20:42:20

lejonet

@fluppet
Ah, I assumed that you had already done that tongue
Its still my advice that you specify uuid for stuff you want to automount incase off things happen.

Edit:
@robertek

Just one question, or well actually two, you have any clue why I cannot change my fsb even tho I have the latest bios, 1703, I got the latest zen3eee kernel from you and also the latest acpi package. I have even tried with the newest eee module (0.3.1), and if you dont have a clue, you think you have a clue whom I could ask? It feels like I've more or less tried everything i've come across but nothing has worked sad

Last edited by lejonet (2008-11-24 20:47:05)

Like I say everytime someone looks at me in a weird way "Hey, im a computer technician, I am allowed to open up everything I can and take a peek inside tongue"

#783 2008-11-25 02:54:36

kidproquo

For the 1000H users. Do you hear a regular clicking noise from the hard disk? I do and I believe it is the HDD spindown issue, as discussed and resolved in these posts:

*http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=38450
*http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58506

I installed laptop-mode and followed the instructions mentioned in the first link and the clicking has gone away.

Regards,
Kid

#784 2008-11-25 03:33:46

kishd

Another quick solution to changing the clicking frequency is to run

hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda

at boot or from a console.

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#785 2008-11-25 11:35:42

Robertek
Website

lejonet wrote:

Just one question, or well actually two, you have any clue why I cannot change my fsb even tho I have the latest bios, 1703, I got the latest zen3eee kernel from you and also the latest acpi package. I have even tried with the newest eee module (0.3.1), and if you dont have a clue, you think you have a clue whom I could ask? It feels like I've more or less tried everything i've come across but nothing has worked sad

Can you post some of you eee specification, like serial number, revision etc (it is on the ticket on bottom site), maybe some incompatible version. Post every possible info to my webpage (after you read my next post).

#786 2008-11-25 11:47:11

Robertek
Website

For everyone!!!

I have enabled flyspray bug tracker on my site (I know it is trottled but I hope it will change in future). So everyone that has some bug or feature request can submit it. It is easyer for me to solve that than finding things here on this fat thread.
It is allowed to submint annonymously, or you can register (registration works ok, but dont wait for the mail now, I have to fix the mail sending)

robertek.brevnov.net

Later I will add that to wiki.

And I will go talk with another provider to change connection this week, but it will sound stupidly that I dont have money for new 5GHz AP now, so have to wait to december for my wage to build it.

#787 2008-11-25 15:51:10

chori

lejonet wrote:

I have started to get a rather weird error when I added fsb as a daemon in my rc.conf, now it freezes when I shutdown my computer with "Saving fsb settings [Busy]" Until I run out of patience and do a hard reset (which is never good, but only way to reboot my comp now :S)
Anyone got any ideas? I dont think its linked to that hal somehow fails to initialize on boot up (but wicd works fine anyways :S so it seems to load dbus alright) I will try and see if removing it from booting as a background daemon might solve the issue but I have a feeling that aint the problem.

Edit:
Like I thought, making it not start in the background changed nothing whatsoever. I wonder where it saves the fsb settings, because it could run into problems if it tries to save it in /tmp or /var/tmp as I have them mounted as tmpfs in fstab. Ill try to comment those out and see if they are causing the problems.

reverie wrote:

Regarding the fsb hang on suspend, for me that was because I ran e17 from inittab which didn't give me an entry in `who`, so when trying to determine the user it just hangs, I fixed it just by stripping stuff out from the x_user_func in eee/user . Perhaps there is a better way of determining the user? ...

This has actually been a problem for a while now, I've just been too occupied at work to address it correctly in this forum (I fixed it on my eee 901 several weeks ago, and remembered I had to fix it again when I recently downloaded the latest version of acpi-eee901).

As @reverie noted, the root of the problem is in /etc/acpi/eee/user.  Specifically, it's the "logger" lines:  logger and syslog get unhappy if logger is called with null or empty content.  I tweaked the "user" script to get my userid by different means, and I also commented out all the lines that log to syslog (the lines that have "logger").  I'll submit a modified version of the "user" script to Robertek on his nifty new bug tracker site.

#788 2008-11-25 16:11:24

chori

lejonet wrote:

Yeah, people have said that, but as always I wanted to give it a shot, seeing as changing the first value doesn't work for me at all, it gets bonkered up at 99 50 0 already -.- and just putting it from 100 50 1 > 100 50 0 gives me like a hour or so, so if I could get the fsb down to 85, that would mean I would just have to fine tune settings for about one half hour or a hour more to achieve my goal. Maybe I should try to put it down with 1 Mhz increments with normal voltage before switching to low voltage?

Also I read around about overclocking(and underclocking) yesterday and fiddling around with the fsb wont damage my computer physically, seeing as its just the OS that bonkers up with it, and not the hardware tongue But that is as long as the fan can keep the hardware cooled too tongue (in case of overclock that is a problem, for underclocking I dont think i'll face that problem wink)

FWIW, fsb saved values are stored in /var/run.

I've also noticed that different users have different experiences on what values are usable for the FSB multiplier.  Robertek got it down to 50, my system bugs out when it gets down below 75.  From what I've been able to gather, based on anecdotal evidence, it depends on what X desktop environment you're using, screen refresh rates, etc.  Try booting into init state 3 (no X), and play with the FSB values:  you may have much better luck.

#789 2008-11-25 16:57:27

lejonet

chori wrote:
lejonet wrote:

Yeah, people have said that, but as always I wanted to give it a shot, seeing as changing the first value doesn't work for me at all, it gets bonkered up at 99 50 0 already -.- and just putting it from 100 50 1 > 100 50 0 gives me like a hour or so, so if I could get the fsb down to 85, that would mean I would just have to fine tune settings for about one half hour or a hour more to achieve my goal. Maybe I should try to put it down with 1 Mhz increments with normal voltage before switching to low voltage?

Also I read around about overclocking(and underclocking) yesterday and fiddling around with the fsb wont damage my computer physically, seeing as its just the OS that bonkers up with it, and not the hardware tongue But that is as long as the fan can keep the hardware cooled too tongue (in case of overclock that is a problem, for underclocking I dont think i'll face that problem wink)

FWIW, fsb saved values are stored in /var/run.

I've also noticed that different users have different experiences on what values are usable for the FSB multiplier.  Robertek got it down to 50, my system bugs out when it gets down below 75.  From what I've been able to gather, based on anecdotal evidence, it depends on what X desktop environment you're using, screen refresh rates, etc.  Try booting into init state 3 (no X), and play with the FSB values:  you may have much better luck.

Good point, that is like the only solution that I haven't tried so far, seeing as ive noticed some things when changing fsb that could relate to xfce itself, ill try it immediatly and see what happens.  And I would be very surprised if I had gotten some "broken" version or a "special" version that couldn't handle fsb changes, even tho with my usual luck I should not be surprised tongue
If chori's pointers wont work, ill post my revision and so on ur homepage robertek.

#790 2008-11-25 20:58:53

chori

slappinjohn wrote:

Setting fsb to 85 works fine on my eee, only values below will cause freezing. Here is the interessting part of my rc.local. It checks the ac-state and sets fsb depending on this:

I thought about that when I was writing the FSB scripts;  I sometimes wanted to run at a higher clock setting, even when on battery, but you're right, that's not generally the case.  I'll fix the acpi FSB scripts to change to powersaving mode when booting up on battery power.

#791 2008-11-25 23:18:08

lejonet

@chori

Okay, something REALLY weird just happened :S I was going to try what you suggested and try to change fsb in terminal mode, without x start, and I see that now my eeepc is outputting 105 50 1 instead of the usual 100 50 1 O.o.
It makes no sence whatsoever to me, but I manage to get it down to 104 50 1 but from 104 to 103 borked it all out, but I still had a x server going, could've been that.

Edit:
It was not the x server, tried to go from 104 to 103 again and it borked up, will try to jump over 103 and see if it gets more pissed

Edit 2:
Ill just do a full reinstall, ive borked up this install quite well already,could be that? But I still find it weird that it all of a sudden started to start with 105 fsb instead of the "normal" 100. This also gives me the opportunity to test everything along the way to see if it has to do anything with my configs. And also to try changing fsb before I have even installed X server and Xfce.

Last edited by lejonet (2008-11-25 23:34:42)

#792 2008-11-27 13:27:57

qdiesel

mplayer changes the brightness randomly after wakeup either on ac or battery.
what may be wrong?

#793 2008-11-27 17:15:48

lejonet

qdiesel wrote:

mplayer changes the brightness randomly after wakeup either on ac or battery.
what may be wrong?

Try starting it in a console and look at its output when the screen changes brightness, might be some function that is supposed to do that, which you have activated and forgotten about? Or one that is on by default and you haven't turned it off? (I dont think a audio/video player would have such a function but you never know)

#794 2008-11-27 17:40:49

qdiesel

No it doesnt write any suspicious logs, and that doesnt disappear when i change -vo

#795 2008-11-27 18:42:25

lejonet

You mean it doesn't written anything suspicious in the syslog or that it doesn't output any weird error when started from console and then sleeps/wakeup the machine?

#796 2008-11-28 14:26:39

qdiesel

syslog's off so i can't tell for sure but there's nothing about brightness in mplayer's logs, and there are no errors at sleep/wakeup.

#797 2008-11-28 14:48:49

lejonet

@chori

I have now tried with a reinstallation, everything went smooth. And then after have installed only the base system, the zen3eee kernel and acpi-901eee package I was going to see if my graphical part could have a impact on changing fsb. The short answer is no sad The longer answer is that I tried in terminal mode to change my fsb (it defaults now to 105 50 1 and not 100 50 1 O.o) and going from 105 > 104 goes well as it did before I reinstalled everything, but anything below that just makes it go bonkers.
Ive tried with speedstep enabled HyperThreading disabled, Speedstep disabled HyperThreading enabled and Speedstep disabled Hyperthreading disabled. None of those have anything to do with my (in)ability of changing the fsb. In bios it reads 533 Mhz as fsb and that has never changed (which is normal I guess) and yes I have the latest bios upgrade for eeepc, 1703.

I am going to do like robertek suggested and post my Serial and such on his site.

#798 2008-11-29 04:29:01

tetonedge
Website

I just got a 900a and was wondering what everyone would recommend for a partition layout on the 4gb drive. I was wondering what fs type, sizes, swap or no swap, etc. I am new to netbooks and small SSD drives and wondering what would be the best for performance. Thanks

dt

#799 2008-11-29 06:55:27

Etuxia
Website

tetonedge wrote:

I just got a 900a and was wondering what everyone would recommend for a partition layout on the 4gb drive. I was wondering what fs type, sizes, swap or no swap, etc. I am new to netbooks and small SSD drives and wondering what would be the best for performance. Thanks

dt

The most important thing is: No swap!

#800 2008-11-29 13:29:58

lejonet

tetonedge wrote:

dt

Seeing as you dont have that much space to play around with I would suggest you take a 64 MB /boot partition and the rest as / partition, with just 4 GB its hard to make a seperate /home partition and like Etuxia said, NO SWAP tongue Dont even think bout it wink It increases the number of writes to ur SSD and as you might have read (or might not) the SSDs biggest "problem" is that its subjected to the same wearout as other flash devices i.e limited writing cycles.

Another advice to keep the writes down is to use ext2 or any other non-journaling filesystem because unlike mechnical harddisks, we dont have any mechanical parts running around that could cause a harddisk freeze/crash and thus SSDs are less prone to fail, but that is also a little risk because even tho SSDs have a smaller chance than mechanical harddisk to crash, they still can and then you'll have to weigh the pro's and con's of non-journal/journaled filesystem and also consider of how much value the information you'll store on it is.

Last edited by lejonet (2008-11-29 13:32:28)

Board footer