You are not logged in.

#1126 2009-04-09 23:19:06

lejonet

Re: Arch on Asus EEE 901

Well upgrading the RAM is just open the hatch and insert it, adding an antenna is most certainly not wink I dissassembled the whole laptop and placed the antenna under roughly where it says "EeePC"  and then wired the wire through the whole chassi into the compartment where the RAM and network card is and then assembled the eeepc again tongue
But if it doesn't mean my warranty is void ill try to give em a call, its 1 year warranty on both battery and computer right? (I bought mine around september I think)

Like I say everytime someone looks at me in a weird way "Hey, im a computer technician, I am allowed to open up everything I can and take a peek inside tongue"

#1127 2009-04-09 23:20:49

big_gie

Yes its a year.
If you did your disassambly/assembly correctly, without making a lot of marks, they should not even notice...

#1128 2009-04-09 23:34:33

lejonet

I work with repairing and installing computers, both the software and the hardware part of it, I know how to take a computer apart and put it back luckily tongue
But dont you think they will notice the third added antenna cabel? Oh well I'll ask em when I call em if it matters tongue

Like I say everytime someone looks at me in a weird way "Hey, im a computer technician, I am allowed to open up everything I can and take a peek inside tongue"

#1129 2009-04-09 23:42:00

big_gie

Well if they open it _yes_. But as you probably know since you work in the same field, you don't necessarely open computers when the problem is the battery! At least I hope wink It would be a waste of time and money, and also a risk, for them to open it.
If you want to change the battery, I see 2 options. First is to ship the whole machine. They will boot it, check the battery, and maybe replace it. They might even just switch the battery into another machine to measure it. Or second maybe they could ask just to ship the battery and not everything.

If you do send it back, be carefull about data theft. See the best buy's creeppy geek squad...
http://consumerist.com/consumer/investi … 271963.php

#1130 2009-04-10 00:30:12

lejonet

That is true what you say, and also seeing as its not a battery failure the likes of them opening is very very slim tongue Its just that I'd rather tell them what i've done, say that I am a computer technician than to get problems later because I didn't inform them smile
If I send it to them I might just transfer /home and my configs I need to my SD card and erase the drive, but hopefully they'll just need the battery (which I seldom use anyway, but those 10% are really useful when I actually need it)
I use my eeepc while working so its kindof critical for me, and especially the battery as I sometime go to places where I dont have easy access to a power supply (yes its odd, but it happens) or I forget my charger tongue

Hopefully I wont have to ship the whole computer, seeing as its easy to check faulty batteries, and almost easier than having it in the computer, even without the computer. Oh well, ill call them on monday as I am going away during easter.
Thanks for the heads up tho big_gie, its appreciated wink

Edit:
Now when I look at my comment I loled, oh well, trying to reason when ur being distracted by loads of friends in the room aint the best, and add that its very late too lol

Last edited by lejonet (2009-04-10 00:32:21)

#1131 2009-04-10 00:30:21

tuxfusion

Can some guys plz post their top glxgears score here ?
No resize just run default window some runs i guess.
If it's already been asked forgive me , no way to search a specific thread with this  forum .

I'm playing around with xorg servers / and accell methods 430 was max with 1.5 X and EXA method .
I'm specifically interested in kms and intel-nightly builds if there is any improvements ( X 1.6 freezes screen a bit right now but that is a test field too of course )

Cookie rewards included !

Note: Oh crap i was about to save this and hit `glxgears` again -> 792 is max repeated value 

xorg.conf :
Option DRi
Accel : EXA
xorg-server 1.6.02 from testing
custom zen .29 kernel & openbox & xcompmgr

yikes this X from testing which i run on my big box very fine is a strange thing on the eee  smile

#1132 2009-04-10 01:19:25

venger

@zodmaner, yay!.. new kernel to test... thanks mate..
re:xorg, i am running the extra version 1.6.1(?) .. certainly i haven't enabled testing repo.
bios is quite current too 1902.

thanks for the tip on disabling hotplugging in xorg.. didn't realise you can do that big_smile
i 'm going to do a pacman -Syu later .. if that doesn't make any difference, i'll disable hotplugging smile

happy easter all!

Last edited by venger (2009-04-10 01:37:38)

#1133 2009-04-10 08:39:52

tuxfusion

I can confirm now that, after downgrading like multiples BIOSes i just went back to the oldes that is availaable from Asus: 902,
one is able to over /under clock eee 901 with the FSB way : 880 max score at glxgears ((112 50 1 FSB setting ) compared to 794 .
I'll run geekbenchmark later this will trow in far more numbers ...  (geekbench 933 overclocked , 833 default )
Coming closer to having zen reloaded kernel with all the cool features we used to have ^_^

#1134 2009-04-10 09:01:35

venger

@tuxfusion, are the fsb settings under  /proc/eee/fsb  and changeable by using echo? like in zeneee kernel?

i've done an upgrade on my 901 to 2gb ram... read at the eeeuser forums that this changes how low one can tweak the fsb values...
when i was on zeneee with original 1gb ram, my default fsb value is "50 50 0" big_smile

#1135 2009-04-10 09:15:49

tuxfusion

it is the original kernel module so everything is the same "echo" , "/proc" etc.  if it fails you will read strange values at beginning ...
Try to set something like 120 50 1 and if it freezes your eee it's working hehe , if i go slow steps i reached 112 50 1 ; 115 killed it again ...

Last edited by tuxfusion (2009-04-10 09:21:28)

#1136 2009-04-10 10:28:37

bangoskank

Currently I maintain the eee-control package in the AUR and I'm wondering about users' experiences with it; specifically, was anyone able to get the FSB adjustments working? If so, could you post some information on the AUR thread? Specifically, the model of EeePC, your BIOS revision, which kernel package/version/config and which version of eee-control you are using.

I'm fairly sure that eee-control 0.8.4 (latest) used to work for me on an earlier kernel, but I'm looking for others' experiences to try to solve this problem; no other versions are working for me and I feel it's a problem with accessing the SMBus.

Also, a clarification: eee-control 0.8.4 no longer relies on the /dev/i2c* device or the smbus python module.

Last edited by bangoskank (2009-04-10 10:35:02)

#1137 2009-04-10 11:37:42

zaibach

kernel 2.6.29 is out with rt2869 staging module. The touchpad seems to work fine, even without extra configuration.

#1138 2009-04-10 17:46:16

tuxfusion

zaibach wrote:

kernel 2.6.29 is out with rt2869 staging module. The touchpad seems to work fine, even without extra configuration.

mhh what do you mean "is out" it's been out  for over a week now  ^_°

bangoskank, just read my post on this exact page , hehe

I can confirm now that, after downgrading like multiples BIOSes i just went back to the oldes that is available from Asus: 902,
one is able to over /under clock eee 901 with the FSB way : 880 max score at glxgears ((112 50 1 FSB setting ) compared to 794 .
I'll run geekbenchmark later this will trow in far more numbers ...  (geekbench 933 overclocked , 833 default )
Coming closer to having zen reloaded kernel with all the cool features we used to have ^_^

BIOS version 902 is fine i'm to lazy to find the exact version where they start hiding that info to controll FSB.

I haven't looked into eee-control only the screenshots, does it have it's own kernel module ? Does it not use http://code.google.com/p/eeepc-linux/ ?

my overclocked and normal geekbenchmarks ( in AUR)
default FSB (100 50 1)? http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/126052
eee kernel module > 112 50 1http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/126340

One question bangoskank , you maintain a package and do not know whether it works or not ?

FSB overclocking will definitely not work with current and latest BIOS version from Asus. At least not with the eee module posted above.

#1139 2009-04-10 22:06:39

bangoskank

tuxfusion wrote:

I haven't looked into eee-control only the screenshots, does it have it's own kernel module ? Does it not use http://code.google.com/p/eeepc-linux/ ?

One question bangoskank , you maintain a package and do not know whether it works or not ?

FSB overclocking will definitely not work with current and latest BIOS version from Asus. At least not with the eee module posted above.

eee-control relies on the eeepc_laptop or eeepc_acpi module but actually conflicts with the asus_eee/eee module. I do have a mind to revert to an earlier BIOS, aye. I ask about whether others have it working or not because of the differences in setups that people have; I want to know why it is not working and deduction is a useful tool.

#1140 2009-04-10 23:01:49

bangoskank

tuxfusion wrote:

BIOS version 902 is fine i'm to lazy to find the exact version where they start hiding that info to controll FSB.

FSB overclocking will definitely not work with current and latest BIOS version from Asus...

I can confirm these findings -- the latest BIOS I was able to set FSB adjustments with was 1101 on the EeePC 901. I'll contact the maintainer of eee-control.

#1141 2009-04-10 23:41:40

tuxfusion

the author of eee-control already knows this :

from his site :

Known Issues

* Under some circumstances, I2C/SMBus is not available because the BIOS "hides" the controller. In this case performance control is disabled.

eee-control behaving a bit odd,  many errors , cardreader is not deactivated  ... i had to run the tray as root ... overclocking seems to work however the approach is way to ubuntu for me, you push a button it works / if not , your screewed ... but ill read his code to see how he communicates to the smbus, this has not much to do with the modules described above imho, those are only for the acpi buttons events

#1142 2009-04-10 23:58:11

bangoskank

tuxfusion wrote:

... ill read his code to see how he communicates to the smbus, this has not much to do with the modules described above imho, those are only for the acpi buttons events

Quite. It also might be worth looking at the latest code in the eee-control git, specifically the she.py module, which defines three methods for FSB control:

she.py wrote:

a) SHE through ACPI
b) PLL and EC programming through i2c_dev and I/O ports
c) same, but uses direct I/O access for PLL programming (unsafe?)

#1143 2009-04-12 09:56:20

lejonet

I have never been able to change my fsb on my 901 sadly sad neither with '/proc/..' approach or eee-control.
When I start eee-control-tray in a terminal it says that performance is disabled and then something along the line "Do you have gnome-power-manager running" but I use xfce4 and have no gnome apps installed and definatly not the power manager.
The bioses ive tried with eee-control is 903 and the latest 1903 and neither have worked sad its kindof annoying.
The only way i've been able to change the fsb value is with the slow and stupid method that xandros uses somewhere in '/proc/acpi/asus/..' but there you only can choose between 3 states and it takes like 15-30 secs to change state.
I dont know if it helps or not, but I can see the SMbus with lspci

#1144 2009-04-12 12:11:31

blub

someone here who has managed to get the eeepc901(winxp version) webcam working?
i used "echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/camera", didnt work sad

#1145 2009-04-12 12:29:50

bangoskank

blub wrote:

someone here who has managed to get the eeepc901(winxp version) webcam working?
i used "echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/camera", didnt work sad

Failing all else, there is an option to toggle WiFi/Ethernet/Camera/Card Reader hardware on/off in the BIOS (hold F2 on boot).

#1146 2009-04-13 07:57:50

venger

@zodmaner, lejonet..  just a quick note that i fixed my problem with the touchpad tap-to-click.. by disabling the hotplugging feature in Hal sad
.. but thanks guys for sharing your advice and config files...

also, just a bit of info for other 901 users if they haven't tried adriano's finit-arc AUR package - my 901 booted up from power switch to lxde in 16sec! and Adriano still reckons X is starting to slowly.. reckons he can reduce X start up from 5s to 1s big_smile

anyway worth a go for the braver souls (ie most arch users i'd imagine)..  just a gentle reminder that the finit-arc bypasses the standard init scripts.. so the rc.conf file is ignored. Instead, it provides its own set of config files to use.
Shutdown also seems quicker.. so it might also be bypassing the standard shutdown scripts.

#1147 2009-04-13 09:57:13

lejonet

I have installed finit-arc too, and my boot time is somewhere around 12-14 secs from power switch, I got that short little stop at elantech module, but just sometimes, and it doesn't seem to save a session when you start with finit-arc, which is a little annoying for me.

Another thing, anyone that has to wake up their eeepc twice before it really wakes up  from suspend? I get no error messages or anything but when I wake it up the first time, it wakes up to console, the goes back into suspend, the second time it wakes up tho. Its nothing that is broken I think, but I just noticed that it was odd

@venger
Nice that you finally got ur touchpad to work, multi-touch ftw I say smile

#1148 2009-04-13 12:42:21

amadlopes

I have 2 problems with my 901 machine and was wondering if someone have the same problems and solutions.

1 - The clock/date on kde 4.2 is completely crazy. I put the right time and date then i turn off the 901, when i boot 901 i have the
clock and date in the future. The time and date on bios is ok but on kde is compltely crazy.

2 - I'm using the xorg.conf from the wiki and i most use 901 connected with my lcd tv using the native resolution of the tv 1366x768. After the upgrade of xorg-server to 1.5.3-5 and then now to 1.6.0-3 the resolution went down to 1024x768.

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Xandros"
    Screen      0  "Screen1"
    InputDevice    "keyboard"
    InputDevice    "mouse"
    InputDevice    "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option        "AllowMouseOpenFail"
    Option        "BlankTime" "5"
    Option        "DontVTSwitch"    "true"
    Option        "AIGLX"   "false"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "keyboard"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option        "CoreKeyboard"
    Option        "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option      "XkbLayout" "pt"
    Option      "XkbVariant" "eeepc"
    Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "mouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option        "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "synaptics"
   Driver      "synaptics"
   Option      "Device"           "/dev/psaux"
   Option      "Protocol"         "auto-dev"
   Option      "PalmDetect"       "0"
   Option      "SHMConfig"        "true"
   Option      "SendCoreEvents"   "yes"
   Option      "RBCornerButton"   "0"
   Option      "RTCornerButtom"   "0"
   Option      "TapButton1"       "1"
   Option      "TapButton2"       "2"
   Option      "TapButton3"       "3"
   Option      "AccelFactor"   "0.0320"
   Option      "MaxSpeed"      "0.72"
   Option      "MinSpeed"      "0.6"
   Option      "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
   Option      "TouchPadOff"       "0"
   Option      "LBCornerButton"        "2"
   Option      "LeftEdge"      "60"
   Option      "RightEdge"     "1070"
   Option      "TopEdge"       "90"
   Option      "BottomEdge"    "680"
   Option      "VertTwoFingerScroll"   "1"
   Option      "HorizTwoFingerScroll"  "1"
   Option      "HorizScrollDelta"  "20"
   Option      "LockedDrags"   "1"
   Option      "CoastingSpeed" "0.13"
   Option      "CircularScrolling"     "1"
   Option      "CircScrollTrigger"     "8"     # 8=Top Left Corner
 EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor1"
    VendorName   "ASUS"
    ModelName    "eeePC P701"
    Modeline     "1024x600"  48.96  1024 1064 1168 1312  600 601 604 622  -HSync +Vsync
    Modeline     "800x480"  29.58  800 816 896 992  480 481 484 497  -HSync +Vsync # 60 Hz

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "TV"
    VendorName   "ASUS"
    ModelName    "eeePC P901"
    Option       "Ignore" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Device1"
    Driver      "intel"
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
    Option      "Monitor-VGA"  "Screen1"
    Option      "Monitor-LVDS" "Monitor1"
    Option      "Monitor-TV"   "TV"
    Option      "XAANoOffScreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option      "AccelMethod" "XAA"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen1"
    Device     "Device1"
    DefaultDepth     16
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth     16
        Virtual  1600 1200
    EndSubSection
#    SubSection "Display"
#        Depth     16
#        Virtual  1360 768
#    EndSubSection
#        Depth     16
#        Virtual  1280 768
#    EndSubSection
#        Depth     16
#        Virtual  1280 768
#    EndSubSection
#        Depth     8
#        Virtual  1024 768
#    EndSubSection
#        Depth     15
#    EndSubSection
#        Depth     16
#    EndSubSection
#        Depth     24
#    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode         0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option        "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

I have been googling and searching on forum but i can't find the solution.

Thanks

#1149 2009-04-13 13:46:13

D-Locked

lejonet wrote:

Another thing, anyone that has to wake up their eeepc twice before it really wakes up  from suspend? I get no error messages or anything but when I wake it up the first time, it wakes up to console, the goes back into suspend, the second time it wakes up tho. Its nothing that is broken I think, but I just noticed that it was odd

I had this when using xfce4-power-manager & acpi-eeepc-generic (AUR). Turns out both intercepted Fn+F1 as suspend, so when you resumed from the first suspend, the second one took place. Fixed it by telling xfce4-power-manager not to do anything when the sleep button is pressed.

#1150 2009-04-13 19:57:35

Etuxia
Website

Awesome!

2.6.29 from Archmirrors works with the ralink card, and the Attansic Technology network card.

I guess we does not need the zen2eee kernel any more?

Board footer