You are not logged in.

#151 2008-09-16 20:16:17

Robertek
Website

Re: Arch on Asus EEE 901

chori wrote:
JazzplayerL9 wrote:

I copied over my mkinitcpio.conf to the mkinitcpio-zen-eee.conf and took out all the modules in the line, re-saved it, and regenerated the initrd.img again...this time it worked.  Seriously, the .conf files look exactly the same but it generated a good .img this time...no errors.  Chalk one up to a strange bug?  Thanks for your help, btw.

Glad you got it working.  Just for fun, run "diff  mkinitcpio.conf mkinitcpio-zen-eee.conf", see what you get, if you have the previous copy of your mkinitcpio-zen-eee.conf around.

Please make the diff, Im also interested. I will upgrade then the kernel.

#152 2008-09-16 21:15:48

aadeelnrx

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but maybe someone here has an idea that could solve my problem.

I exhcanged the orginal Ralink WLAN card from my 901 for an older Atheros Card (Gigabyte GN-WT01GT), my problem is that when I boot my eee from battery, the new card isn't recognized at all, but when I boot with AC power it works normally.
My guess is that its some strange kind of CState that Linux doesnt recognize but nothing I've tried has helped.

I hope one of you has an idea.

Last edited by aadeelnrx (2008-09-16 21:16:47)

#153 2008-09-16 23:49:39

JazzplayerL9

Ok...made the diff between mkinitcpio.conf and mkinitcpio-zen-eee.conf...it's exactly what you'd expect:

7c7
< MODULES="pata_acpi ata_generic scsi_mod ata_piix"
---
> MODULES=""
58c58
< HOOKS="base udev pata filesystems"
---
> HOOKS="base udev pata"

ls -l /etc/mkinitcpio* gives:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2443 2008-09-16 18:46 /etc/mkinitcpio-zeneee-git.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2482 2008-09-10 19:56 /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

so...really there is absolutely nothing different other than the fact that I manually had to copy the mkinitcpio over and change it before I generated the initrd.img.....

Last edited by JazzplayerL9 (2008-09-16 23:55:36)

#154 2008-09-17 07:57:32

jerka

Finally, i get my FSB working...seems that glxgears give less FPS with echo >70 50 0 in /proc/eee/fsb than with normal values, and get 5h of time running on battery with wifi turned  on.
But i cant get /proc/acpi/asus folder. I cant load module asus_acpi which should do it I supose.

bash-3.2# cat /proc/modules | grep asus
asus_eee 8004 0 - Live 0xf888e000
i2c_core 21140 21 asus_eee,i2c_i801, Live 0xf88d9000
bash-3.2#
bash-3.2# modprobe -l | grep asus
/lib/modules/2.6.26-ARCH/kernel/acpi/asus_eee.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.26-ARCH/kernel/drivers/acpi/asus_acpi.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.26-ARCH/kernel/drivers/misc/asus-laptop.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.26-ARCH/kernel/drivers/net/usb/pegasus.ko
bash-3.2#

when i try to modprobe asus_acpi, i get this error:

bash-3.2# modprobe asus_acpi
FATAL: Error inserting asus_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.26-ARCH/kernel/drivers/acpi/asus_acpi.ko): No such device
bash-3.2#

So which module should i use for all acpi stuff get to work? Or what is the problem with inserting this module?

#155 2008-09-17 08:23:04

Robertek
Website

jerka wrote:

Finally, i get my FSB working...seems that glxgears give less FPS with echo >70 50 0 in /proc/eee/fsb than with normal values, and get 5h of time running on battery with wifi turned  on.
But i cant get /proc/acpi/asus folder. I cant load module asus_acpi which should do it I supose.

bash-3.2# cat /proc/modules | grep asus
asus_eee 8004 0 - Live 0xf888e000
i2c_core 21140 21 asus_eee,i2c_i801, Live 0xf88d9000
bash-3.2#
bash-3.2#

FATAL: Error inserting asus_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.26-ARCH/kernel/drivers/acpi/asus_acpi.ko): No such device
bash-3.2#

So which module should i use for all acpi stuff get to work? Or what is the problem with inserting this module?

I had some problems with asus_acpi also (dont remember if the same as you), s I compiled it in. zeneee and zeneee-git has asus_acpi compiled in and works ok.

#156 2008-09-17 08:25:53

Robertek
Website

JazzplayerL9 wrote:

Ok...made the diff between mkinitcpio.conf and mkinitcpio-zen-eee.conf...it's exactly what you'd expect:

7c7
< MODULES="pata_acpi ata_generic scsi_mod ata_piix"
---
> MODULES=""
58c58
< HOOKS="base udev pata filesystems"
---
> HOOKS="base udev pata"

ls -l /etc/mkinitcpio* gives:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2443 2008-09-16 18:46 /etc/mkinitcpio-zeneee-git.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2482 2008-09-10 19:56 /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

so...really there is absolutely nothing different other than the fact that I manually had to copy the mkinitcpio over and change it before I generated the initrd.img.....

thanks, do you let here filesystems and the modules, or you just erase them. Or this is diff with the updated coppyed version? If so, can you also make a diff with the original version I include (or with your version you have updated).

It is strange!?!?!

And you canot load modules or what? Because it shows me the same error after initcpio initialization also, but I dont have any problem.

Last edited by Robertek (2008-09-17 08:27:56)

#157 2008-09-17 08:34:33

Robertek
Website

aadeelnrx wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but maybe someone here has an idea that could solve my problem.

I exhcanged the orginal Ralink WLAN card from my 901 for an older Atheros Card (Gigabyte GN-WT01GT), my problem is that when I boot my eee from battery, the new card isn't recognized at all, but when I boot with AC power it works normally.
My guess is that its some strange kind of CState that Linux doesnt recognize but nothing I've tried has helped.

It is possible, because I find some similar strange difference in boot with AC/battery. When you boot with AC the consumption of the notebook is higher than on battery, because there are some kind badly recognized C-states. Bios support on AC max C2 and on battery max C4 but when I boot on battery, it shows C4 all the time (an with AC the C4 usage decrease). When I boot with AC it recognize C2 and C4 correct, but when on battery C4 is not so much used. So I boot all the time on battery to workaround. But I dont know the reason, maybe buggy bios, maby some problem in kernel.

#158 2008-09-17 08:37:39

Robertek
Website

And last. I have upgraded the kernel with bluetooth switch, as chori post the link above.

So now bluetooth on/off works !!!

echo 1 > /proc/acpi/asus/bluetooth
echo 0 > /proc/acpi/asus/bluetooth

It is now only in git version.

Last edited by Robertek (2008-09-17 08:38:25)

#159 2008-09-17 11:45:06

Robertek
Website

Maybe this can solve someones issue with netcfg

http://rt2400.cvs.sourceforge.net/*chec … _usage.txt

#160 2008-09-17 13:25:07

JazzplayerL9

@Robertek,

I can load modules just fine with the errors, I've just been trying to figure out why there is an error to begin with.  Yes, I kept the filesystems hook in my mkinitcpio-zen-eee.conf. 

The diff is between mkinitcpio.conf and your mkinitcpio-zen-eee.conf.  My mkinitcpio-zen-eee.conf is exactly the mkinitcpio.conf with the MODULES= line cleared of modules.  IE:  MODULES=""

It sounds like a bug in mkinitcpio to me.

#161 2008-09-17 14:07:31

muxe

JazzplayerL9 wrote:

@Robertek,

I can load modules just fine with the errors, I've just been trying to figure out why there is an error to begin with. [...]

I have the exact same error messages at the beginning of booting. I am also able to load and unload modules, and everything I tested is running satisfiable (WiFi, Camera, Sound, Xorg). The error messages are somewhat annoying though.

#162 2008-09-17 14:11:31

chori

jerka wrote:
bash-3.2#

bash-3.2#

I think asus-laptop conflicts with asus_acpi.  Load one or the other, but not both.

Try this:

$ lsmod | grep asus

If asus-laptop is loaded, unload it (modprobe -r asus-laptop), then try loading asus_acpi.  You may need to blacklist asus-laptop.

Last edited by chori (2008-09-17 14:16:07)

#163 2008-09-17 15:49:15

jerka

chori wrote:

Try this:

$ lsmod | grep asus

If asus-laptop is loaded, unload it (modprobe -r asus-laptop), then try loading asus_acpi.  You may need to blacklist asus-laptop.

I dont have asus-laptop or asus-acpi loaded...i only had asus_eee, but nothink more...but still cant modprobe it. :-(

#164 2008-09-17 18:46:43

paraflu

Hello, everybody

I have some some questions, not only about installing arch/linux
on eepc/flash-memory. but also how this is compatible with
encrypting and things too i have to considerer. So no long
talk let`s see my questions and if you could help me there.
Maybe it is a litle bit confusing, but that`s my thoughts
about this topics right now. Most of the time because
i don`t know what my goals are and how to archieve them and
difficult enough they are mixed together and i think depends
on each other.

I`am sorry if this questions has been mentioned before
but i really didn`t want to read all of the big eeepc thread
(lazy guy), but if you like maybe you can answer it or give
me a hint where i can find it.

For my excuse i read it, but i only flyed over it, so it could
be possible that i miss some importend things.

My target system is eeepc 901 windows xp version.

I.    If i use arch to install to a usb-connected device
    , what i have to to consider? Enable to-usb boot at
    the setup? Do i have to delete /var or /var/"what-dir"
    , /tmp to tmpfs and what subdirs i have to keep?

II.    LUKS. Creating two partitions /boot and / on flash
    or do i only need to encrypted my /home/xxx dir?
    I don`t think so, because i see many things which
     been created when i open a x-session in /tmp. So maybe
    both?

III.    Do i have to disable syslog-ng and maybe cron (meaning
     updatedb) to avoid constant writing to the flash-device

IV.    Better using uuid then pata or ide-legacy? i still using
    hda instead of sda and uuid right know. So it is a change
    of behaviour for me there.

V.    Considering larch. No writing on the flash-disk, but
    limited to the ram and till now no kernel update or
    does have anybody tested it with a eepc-kernel. I will
    try to discuss this with gradgrind, but still now it
     is not implemented, because he to busy.

Scenarios (senaries???? i hope you know what i mean)

1.     Preparing this on another system (A64 3000+ nvidia onboard
    gpu.
    Putting in the core-img on usb and one empty usb-stick
     partitioned with one 4GiB partition. Select the support
     for booting the system from usb. Hope to see the drive.
    I think as a sdb, because the booting device should be first (?).
    Installing packages. Now the part i don`t understand,
     when i use grub the kernel config says (hdx,x) and
    root=x. How do the system know where to look at, when
    i have for example a harddisk installed or another usbstick.
    I know the root=x parameter could be changed to uuid, but
    what about the (hdx,x) ?
    If this works anyway, what about the kernel? When i install
     it it on another hardware the kernel loads the modules for
    the underlying system, but thats not the system of the target
    system (in this case the eeepc), do i have to boot the
    the fallback-kernel and then reinstalled the kernel to
    have the the right modules? This works on other systems
    in my experience.

2.    When i do the same above. I think i would like to have the
    right pacman.conf repository to the eepc-kernel(s). Copying
    (or downloaded before) the eeepc-kernel to /var/cache/pkg/
     and then install the kernel eeepc. Getting the wired device
     and then update the whole system. This should detect all
    needed devices and the following should be the wiki for
    eeepc901. Oh and by the way installing both kernel to
    grub.

3.    This would end in a sytsem which i can boot from usb
    and then copy it to my ssd (in this case the 8GiB ssd)
    Setup grub and have both the windowsxp-home and the arch-system.

4.    hat is the difference of the both eeepc-kernels?

Prolog:
    The most interesting part is the grub (hdx,x), the
    different kernels and the right way to do the install.

Thanks for your answers.

#165 2008-09-17 20:25:17

aadeelnrx

Robertek wrote:
aadeelnrx wrote:

It is possible, because I find some similar strange difference in boot with AC/battery. When you boot with AC the consumption of the notebook is higher than on battery, because there are some kind badly recognized C-states. Bios support on AC max C2 and on battery max C4 but when I boot on battery, it shows C4 all the time (an with AC the C4 usage decrease). When I boot with AC it recognize C2 and C4 correct, but when on battery C4 is not so much used. So I boot all the time on battery to workaround. But I dont know the reason, maybe buggy bios, maby some problem in kernel.

Ok I solved the problem the easy way, i just used another card. So for anyone who wants to exchange the crappy ralink card for an atheros one, do NOT use a Gigabyte GN-WI01GT.

#166 2008-09-18 00:16:22

chori

Most of your questions are answered in the ArchLinux wiki pages:  the Beginner's Guide and ArchLinux on the ASUS EEE PC are of particular interest, as are the Official Install Guide, and, for your particular case, the page about installing ArchLinux on a USB key.  It's a lot of reading, but the pages are very well-written, clear, direct, to the point, and reading them now will save you many hours in the long run.

Also, Google is your friend.

(I had never even heard of ArchLinux until about three weeks ago;  but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool convert now, partially because the documentation and information provided for it is so good.)

paraflu wrote:

II.    LUKS. Creating two partitions /boot and / on flash or do i only need to encrypted my /home/xxx dir?  I don`t think so, because i see many things which been created when i open a x-session in /tmp. So maybe both?

/tmp is usually an in-memory filesystem, turn off the computer, and poof, it disappears.  Generally speaking, encrypting /home is enough.  But it all depends on what you're using the laptop for.  If you're going to be carting around files with lots of personal data, then you'd want to store those in an encrypted filesystem, too.  But for personal use, I'd say /home is enough.

paraflu wrote:

III.    Do i have to disable syslog-ng and maybe cron (meaning updatedb) to avoid constant writing to the flash-device?

There's a growing body of evidence that writing to SSDs is no longer the problem it once was, that most current generation SSDs can sustain hundreds of thousands to millions of write operations (one person calculated that an off-the-shelf consumer-grade SSD he bought and tested would sustain 25 years of write operations under normal conditions.)  In fact, some tests I've read showed SSDs to have a significantly lower rate of failure than comparable hard drives after extended periods of writing.  I don't have the tests at hand to back up these assertions, nor do I have the technical savvy to truly evaluate the validity of these tests, so take what I say with a grain of salt;  but I myself, after some research, feel comfortable enough to treat the SSD like a normal hard drive, in terms of filesystems and write operations, at least for my own personal, non-production laptop.  Backups, of course, are one of the first things I set up.  smile

paraflu wrote:

Now the part i don`t understand, when i use grub the kernel config says (hdx,x) and root=x. How do the system know where to look at, when i have for example a harddisk installed or another usbstick. I know the root=x parameter could be changed to uuid, but what about the (hdx,x) ?

Depends on what device the root partition is on, in relation to the boot device.  If the root partition is on the same USB stick, card, whatever as the boot image, then the grub root will always be (hd0,0).  I have my ArchLinux OS installed on the SDHC card, which the BIOS sees as a USB device;  my root is (hd0,0).

paraflu wrote:

4.    What is the difference of the both eeepc-kernels?

Robertek's kernel is based on ighea's kernel, but uses the zen kernel source (google "zen kernel"). Robertek's kernel has also a number of tweaks and changes to improve (IMO) the hardware support, and we've recently started collaborating a bit to improve it more, especially the function keys and special user keys.

If you're interested, send me an email, and I can send you the detailed notes I made of my own install process.  My setup is very similar:  ArchLinux on a SDHC card, Xandros on the internal SSD drives.  I have yet to encrypt my home filesystem, but that's on my TODO list.

Last edited by chori (2008-09-18 02:03:43)

#167 2008-09-18 00:20:51

chori

Robertek wrote:

Man, I wish I had seen this a week ago.  I finally got my home WEP network configured, mostly by trial-and-error, using iwpriv.  I've added this link to my bookmarks.  Thanks!

#168 2008-09-18 01:11:11

adriaan

This may be a bit vague, but here goes:

First of all: I'm using Robertek's kernel (git).It works like a charm (almost), haven't had much trouble. I do have a problem with my sound, though. I already had this problem with ighea's kernel. I believe the problem did not exist on WinXP, although I didn't use it long enough to be sure of that. Besides, I don't think it's a hardware problem.

...Anyway. At random times, my speakers start crackling and playing noise (I can still hear what is playing). It only happens while sound is played (for example, I get a notification sound from pidgin, or vlc is playing a movie, ... Also, when I open alsamixer at that time). I guess something is wrong with my ALSA-setup, but I can't see what...
Then, for some random reason, my sound is fine again after some time. I've never noticed the noise stopping, but I'm pretty sure it won't go back to normal while sound is playing.

Does anyone have an inkling of an idea?

#169 2008-09-18 07:04:49

Robertek
Website

adriaan wrote:

This may be a bit vague, but here goes:

First of all: I'm using Robertek's kernel (git).It works like a charm (almost), haven't had much trouble. I do have a problem with my sound, though. I already had this problem with ighea's kernel. I believe the problem did not exist on WinXP, although I didn't use it long enough to be sure of that. Besides, I don't think it's a hardware problem.

...Anyway. At random times, my speakers start crackling and playing noise (I can still hear what is playing). It only happens while sound is played (for example, I get a notification sound from pidgin, or vlc is playing a movie, ... Also, when I open alsamixer at that time). I guess something is wrong with my ALSA-setup, but I can't see what...
Then, for some random reason, my sound is fine again after some time. I've never noticed the noise stopping, but I'm pretty sure it won't go back to normal while sound is playing.

Does anyone have an inkling of an idea?

I had exactly the same problem. I dont know why it did. And I was afraid that it is some kind of hw problem. That happened in my job office, and I have little bit weaker wifi signal (WPA), and the cracking was in the rythm of the wifi. I think that it was some kind of soundcard buffer overflow, or something like that (I was listening to internet radio). It happened in august, and worked fine when I came home (I also go to my car and test that there and it worked fine). And never had the same problem again. From the time a lot of things changed (new bios 1301, new alsa etc.)

#170 2008-09-18 07:09:40

Robertek
Website

chori wrote:
Robertek wrote:

Man, I wish I had seen this a week ago.  I finally got my home WEP network configured, mostly by trial-and-error, using iwpriv.  I've added this link to my bookmarks.  Thanks!

Even I screamed that I didnt found that month ago:) But it is not just perfect and didnt solve my home wifi.

I have to do some things before starting wifi

iwconfig ra0 ap xxxxxxxx

and add QUIRKS=(prescan)

than my home, open wifi works.

Last edited by Robertek (2008-09-18 07:13:53)

#171 2008-09-18 16:14:08

far0k

Robertek wrote:

So after some tweaking I have nice resulets!!!! smile

I have prepared zen-sources based kernel for eeepc 901

based on 2.6.26-zen2 (will test 27-rc later)

package ready to install:http://robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux … pkg.tar.gz

and building essentials (the PKGBUILD still needs soome polishing in git part, but works, using prepared package is lot easyes because of GIT)
http://robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux … ee.tar.bz2

So what are the results:

1) everything working as common kernel-eee901
2) kernel tweaks patches that comming from zen (BFQ io-sheduler, CFS tunables, 1G-lowmem, ....)
3) tuxonice - suspend to file (dont have time to test this, will be fine if someone test that and write tutorial)
4) "eee" module for seting FSB on eee's!

I have tryed play with FSB settings and the results are ~10h runtime (acpi estimate) (5.2W) usable for all sort of low cpu usage. (fsb 50, low voltage, => ~400MHz) So let say 8-9h realy possible (someone should test it:) ).
I allways test this with devices such as wlan disabled.

fsb is set through /proc/eee/fsb and the format is "fsb divisor low/normall voltage"

I sugest add this to start scripts
echo 100 50 0 > /proc/eee/fsb
I have tested various running conditions and no problem running on low voltage (not overclocked)

fsb is no problem 50-110 (I havent tested more extreme values)
and divisor 50 (dont know what it is exactly do)

Notice: suspend resets fsb to default "100 50 1" so have to be reset after that

Hi Robertek

Are you still maintaining your eee sources as I keep getting "404 Not Founds" from your site?

Thanks

far0k

#172 2008-09-18 17:06:39

Robertek
Website

Yes this is normal, you can't browse that. You can add the repository or use some of the links I added. I dont have now directory browsing enabled (had some problems with that)

Everything important is on the 901 wiki.

Last edited by Robertek (2008-09-18 17:08:10)

#173 2008-09-18 17:10:04

muxe

#174 2008-09-18 17:27:56

adriaan

Robertek wrote:

I had exactly the same problem. I dont know why it did. And I was afraid that it is some kind of hw problem. That happened in my job office, and I have little bit weaker wifi signal (WPA), and the cracking was in the rythm of the wifi. I think that it was some kind of soundcard buffer overflow, or something like that (I was listening to internet radio). It happened in august, and worked fine when I came home (I also go to my car and test that there and it worked fine). And never had the same problem again. From the time a lot of things changed (new bios 1301, new alsa etc.)

I think I do have the latest alsa, but I haven't updated the bios from stock. Do you think I sshould try that?

#175 2008-09-18 18:10:12

far0k

Thanks for your responses.  I am going to get my eee from the post office tomorrow so will report back on how I get on.

Board footer