You are not logged in.

#201 2008-09-23 13:09:12

chori

Re: Arch on Asus EEE 901

wally wrote:

Suggestion: place zen-eee kernel somewhere available for download without pacman. You know, it's kinda hard to download network-enabled kernel without network connection... (i downloaded another eee-kernel first, then upgraded to zen-eee with pacman)

There's downloading with pacman, and then there's just downloading.  You can download any package you want without pacman, with just a simple wget (or URL cut and pasted in your browser) to the location of the file in the repository.  Pacman operates over HTTP.

As far as making packages available some way other than over a network connection, good luck with that.  smile  The process you went through  -- install the stock kernel, then upgrade, if you have a network connection, otherwise download the zen-eee901 package on a different system that's connected to a network, then transfer it to a USB key and install it locally on your machine -- is the accepted way of doing it.

#202 2008-09-23 14:40:57

Robertek
Website

So git kernel is updated.

news:

1) modules for all the crypto stuff
2) HIGHMEM enabled (maybe I will make some release with 1G support)
3) new module for intel 3945 (I have purchuased this card and now waiting for it)
4) updated mkinitcpio
5) elantech patch added. So you have to configure xorg.conf synaptics, I will post some config later on wiki, I suggest the gentoo wiki for eee 901 http://gentoo-wiki.com/Asus_EEE_PC_901

The wiki will be updated later, maybe tomorow.

Stable branch is in the CHORI's hand, so I will upload that when it will be ready.

Im working on webserver dirlisting, to have repository easy accessible (if someone can tell me easyly how to enable dirlisting of specific directory in lighttpd on openwrt, I will be thankful)
Also there will be corectly set directory with PKGBUILD and other stuff neded (also the kernelconfigs)

EDIT: I have also start using jfs instead of ext2, it is much better while booting and I havent had any problems with jfs and crashes, for more than 2 years.

Last edited by Robertek (2008-09-23 14:44:05)

#203 2008-09-23 15:42:27

JazzplayerL9

Updated to the newest git kernel...went to the gentoo-wiki site and configured my Elantech touchpad.  All is working well, but I'm gonna have to get used to how it functions...I tried it with google maps and the zoom functions aren't near as useable as an iPhone...but it's a lot better than before.

Still had to use a copied over mkinitcpio.conf and regenerate the initrd.img to get rid of boot errors...but it worked fine even with the errors.  Great stuff, Robertek.  Thanks again for everything you've done.

#204 2008-09-23 16:25:59

slappinjohn

Now everything works fine - even the encrypted home-partition big_smile !

Thx a lot to all the people working on the kernel and acpi-scripts , and thx for writing the wiki. So I was able to move my Eee to arch in just 6 or 7h instead of the days and weeks i thought it would take.

Btw: right at the moment I'm trying to get exalt working as networkmanager for e17. Maybe I'll build a package and put it in the AUR if it's working

#205 2008-09-23 17:47:26

chori

A new zen-eee901 2.6.26 stable kernel is available in Robertek's repository:   http://robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux … pkg.tar.gz

Changes:

-- enabled CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G
   -- enabled CONFIG_CRYPTO_XTS
   -- added the Elantech touchpad/mouse patch

We've also made available the stable version package source, for those who wish to tweak and build their own packages:  http://robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux … en-eee901/

If you come up with any additional tweaks/improvements to Robertek's kernel, please communicate them on the forum, and I'll incorporate them into the package.

I'll update the wiki later today with instructions for configuring the Elantech driver, and with links to the kernel package source.

#206 2008-09-23 17:54:23

tuxfusion

Why i can't use eee zen git kernel right now :
http://rafb.net/p/p3ZL7925.html

This happens when turning wlan off and on again. Wlan is completely dead until i reboot.
(there is only rmmod rt2860sta what happens under the hood i guess )

In the first line u see what happens when running gsynaptics.
I'd still really like to now how to get full elantech features on my eee "zooming"
I have exactly followed gentoo wiki.

For now the ighea's kernel is the only stable thing for me.
Im a JFS user myself on all other machines, but weren't all sides saying
no journaling on ssd for lifetime issues?
I was a bit confused to see it run , although i only have ext2 on my eee.

@JazzplayerL9
Are you sure  u are using "pinching" mousegestures on google maps ?
Because a simple mousewheel event triggers zoom in and out which would happen
even if it wouldnt be working , can u try on openoffice plz(the zoom feature) , it worked out of the box with my xandros not at all on arch.
Regards

addition @elantech patch:
there are two patches available, shouldn't the 2.6.27-git kernel
get this patch : http://arjan.opmeer.net/elantech/elante … o-v5.patch ?
I'm just guessing from the info on the website.

Last edited by tuxfusion (2008-09-23 18:07:03)

#207 2008-09-23 18:02:34

freigeist

Thank you both for the great job you did with this kernel!

Elfenbeinturm.cc
a metaphysical space of solitude and sanctity: http://www.elfenbeinturm.cc

#208 2008-09-23 18:22:39

JazzplayerL9

@tuxfusion,

Trying the "pinching" with the Elantech driver in OpenOffice right now...it doesn't work to zoom in either...just a scroll function.  Ah well...at least it's a step in the right direction.  Does OpenOffice need a specific compile option you think?

Last edited by JazzplayerL9 (2008-09-23 18:23:56)

#209 2008-09-23 19:44:11

tuxfusion

JazzplayerL9 wrote:

@tuxfusion,

Trying the "pinching" with the Elantech driver in OpenOffice right now...it doesn't work to zoom in either...just a scroll function.  Ah well...at least it's a step in the right direction.  Does OpenOffice need a specific compile option you think?

I thought that it wouldnt work on your side too . As far as i can tell, default Xandros comes with StarOffice and it worked out of the box.
I think those office suites are merely the same only staroffice is the enterprise version from sun or something.
I doubt software was changed by Xandros however the did plenty of stuff .. smile
I guess the widely spread Zoom in /Zoom Out event ala CTRL+Mousewheel Up/Down is what is triggered on EEE Xandros ,
It should work in any Imageviewer too , wich would be cool.
So far i havent found a way to get that on arch , im playing with xorg.conf and synaptics config right now, man synaptics doesn't seem to help.
I guess "gsynaptics-elantech" was just hacked to catch  pinching and until someone gets that .deb into arch we will miss it , please tell me im wrong  ^^

#210 2008-09-23 20:21:30

chori

tuxfusion wrote:

@JazzplayerL9
Are you sure  u are using "pinching" mousegestures on google maps ?
Because a simple mousewheel event triggers zoom in and out which would happen
even if it wouldnt be working , can u try on openoffice plz(the zoom feature) , it worked out of the box with my xandros not at all on arch.

I was able to do this on Google maps with the Elantech driver configured, zooming in and out worked.  Is that what you're trying to do?

I confirmed that it didn't work in OpenOffice, which is probably an application-specific limitation.

#211 2008-09-23 21:46:21

tuxfusion

@chori
Yes this is what im trying to accomplish.
But as I told Jazzplayer,  googlemaps reacts on neraly every event
on the touchpad so i assume people just do a "mousewheel up" event
which happens when u "try" to do a pinch move and they think pinch works.
Pinching should work in Openoffice , pdf? and imageviewers which it does on default xandros.

*argh* eee just went down no more power, ill have to build a sound into conky when battery is at 5 % or something
i keep ignoring the blinking ...

#212 2008-09-24 05:09:34

legzelda

Thanks for enabling highmem in the kernel, Robertek.

I'm having some trouble getting the Elantech driver configured in xorg.conf.  I followed the Gentoo wiki, but I'm only getting basic mouse functionality and am unable to scroll with two fingers or right click with three fingers, let alone try the pinching techniques.  Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.  My xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
#    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Elantech"     "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "GLcore"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "xtrap"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
#    Identifier  "Mouse0"
#    Driver      "mouse"
#    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
#    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
#    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
#EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Elantech"
       Driver          "synaptics"
       Option          "Protocol"      "auto-dev"
       Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse"
       Option          "SHMConfig"     "on"
       Option          "AccelFactor"   "0.0015"        # default: 0.0015
       Option          "MaxSpeed"      "0.18"          # default: 0.18
       Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "off"
       Option          "LBCornerButton"        "2"
       Option          "LeftEdge"      "60"
       Option          "RightEdge"     "1070"
       Option          "TopEdge"       "90"
       Option          "BottomEdge"    "680"
       Option          "VertTwoFingerScroll"   "1"
       Option          "HorizTwoFingerScroll"  "1"
       Option          "LockedDrags"   "1"
       Option          "CoastingSpeed" "0.13"
       Option          "CircularScrolling"     "1"
       Option          "CircScrollTrigger"     "8"     # 8=Top Left Corner
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    #DisplaySize      190   110    # mm
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "AUO"
    ModelName    "1020"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "NoAccel"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "SWcursor"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ColorKey"               # <i>
        #Option     "CacheLines"             # <i>
        #Option     "Dac6Bit"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DRI"                    # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoDDC"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShowCache"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "XvMCSurfaces"           # <i>
        #Option     "PageFlip"               # [<bool>]
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "intel"
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     1
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

#213 2008-09-24 11:01:05

wally

chori wrote:
schuay wrote:

I'm having problems resuming from suspend on the 1000H using the zen-eee901-git kernel...

I noticed that when I resume after suspend, oftentimes I'll be left at a blank (dark) virtual console; Ctrl-Alt-F7 takes me back to my X session.  Is that happening to you?

That is exactly what happens all the time with my 901 & Fluxbox. (Except I use C-M-F2, even thought I can't remember to have reduced number of virtual consoles...). However this did not happen when I had just installed Arch and zen-eee. Then suspend and resume was working fast.

Thx for your script, I'll take a look later.

#214 2008-09-24 11:05:55

wally

chori wrote:
wally wrote:

Suggestion: place zen-eee kernel somewhere available for download without pacman. You know, it's kinda hard to download network-enabled kernel without network connection... (i downloaded another eee-kernel first, then upgraded to zen-eee with pacman)

There's downloading with pacman, and then there's just downloading.  You can download any package you want without pacman, with just a simple wget (or URL cut and pasted in your browser) to the location of the file in the repository.  Pacman operates over HTTP.

As far as making packages available some way other than over a network connection, good luck with that.  smile  The process you went through  -- install the stock kernel, then upgrade, if you have a network connection, otherwise download the zen-eee901 package on a different system that's connected to a network, then transfer it to a USB key and install it locally on your machine -- is the accepted way of doing it.

But the problem was, I could'nt download those packages without pacman, still don't know why. I tried those links you have here in this topic and they did not work either in browser or with wget. (possibly they are old? They didn't give me 404, just long long wait and then some error message)

Anyhow, with pacman all went smoothly after I got my network working.

Last edited by wally (2008-09-24 11:06:14)

#215 2008-09-24 13:09:59

chori

wally wrote:
chori wrote:

But the problem was, I could'nt download those packages without pacman, still don't know why. I tried those links you have here in this topic and they did not work either in browser or with wget. (possibly they are old? They didn't give me 404, just long long wait and then some error message)

Anyhow, with pacman all went smoothly after I got my network working.

I think you might have caught Robertek's server when it was down for maintenance.  Those links I posted should work now.  In any event, Robertek has enabled directory browsing in his repository, so if a link returns a 404, you can go to the directory level and look at the contents now.

Last edited by chori (2008-09-24 13:11:21)

#216 2008-09-24 15:48:42

chori

legzelda wrote:

I'm having some trouble getting the Elantech driver configured in xorg.conf.  I followed the Gentoo wiki, but I'm only getting basic mouse functionality and am unable to scroll with two fingers or right click with three fingers, let alone try the pinching techniques.  Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

I was able to get two-finger scrolling and right click with three fingers working by cribbing from the Xandros xorg.conf, the previous default mouse configuration, and reading the man page for synaptics.  Here's the relevant piece of my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
    Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse"
    Option          "SHMConfig"     "true"
    Option          "SendCoreEvents"   "true"
    Option          "AccelFactor"   "0.0320"        # default: 0.0015
    Option          "MaxSpeed"      "0.72"          # default: 0.18
    Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
  # You will also need the following 3 lines if you're using Xorg 1.5RC6
  # or newer
    Option          "TapButton1"       "1"
    Option          "TapButton2"       "2"
    Option          "TapButton3"       "3"
EndSection

As far as pinch and zoom goes, I did some searching on the web, looking at source code, and running the strings command on binary files and libraries.  I discovered that the Xandros /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so driver contains "ZoomIn" and "ZoomOut" options that are not present in the ArchLinux driver;  the Xandros gsynaptics-elantech utility simply sets these as a booleans.

So, for laughs, I copied the Xandros synaptics_drv.so over to my ArchLinux environment, and restarted X.  X was able to load and configure the driver just fine, no errors (other than the sluggish mouse movements I had come to loathe in the Xandros distribution), but I still couldn't get the pinch-zoom function to work, although everything else did (I tried setting the Option "ZoomIn" and Option "ZoomOut" to "1", then to "true", restarting X after every change, with no effect).  At which point, I restored my old driver, and decided to give the problem a rest.

If someone else wants to continue down this path, I'd like to hear what you discover.

Last edited by chori (2008-09-24 15:50:30)

#217 2008-09-24 17:04:07

freigeist

I'm having big troubles with the elantech driver. There seems to be a conflict with some gnome settings, the mouse is working for a while, but then somethings happening that stops the touchpad from working when I log in again, the mouse works in gdm but when gnome is loading no movement is possible anymore (the buttons are still working). Anyone experiencing the same? With both git and stable the eee module won't load (segmentation fault) and gsynaptics won't work too (segmentation fault). With the latest git X won't start (exception caught)...and last but not least, the kernel seems to be much slower than the one without highmem and elantech, is it just me who is experiencing this? By the way I'm using a 1000H with 2GB Ram...

Last edited by freigeist (2008-09-24 17:13:55)

Elfenbeinturm.cc
a metaphysical space of solitude and sanctity: http://www.elfenbeinturm.cc

#218 2008-09-24 17:27:41

legzelda

chori wrote:
legzelda wrote:

I'm having some trouble getting the Elantech driver configured in xorg.conf.  I followed the Gentoo wiki, but I'm only getting basic mouse functionality and am unable to scroll with two fingers or right click with three fingers, let alone try the pinching techniques.  Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

I was able to get two-finger scrolling and right click with three fingers working by cribbing from the Xandros xorg.conf, the previous default mouse configuration, and reading the man page for synaptics.  Here's the relevant piece of my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
    Option          "SHMConfig"     "true"
    Option          "SendCoreEvents"   "true"
    Option          "AccelFactor"   "0.0320"        # default: 0.0015
    Option          "MaxSpeed"      "0.72"          # default: 0.18
    Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
  # You will also need the following 3 lines if you're using Xorg 1.5RC6
  # or newer
    Option          "TapButton1"       "1"
    Option          "TapButton2"       "2"
    Option          "TapButton3"       "3"
EndSection

As far as pinch and zoom goes, I did some searching on the web, looking at source code, and running the strings command on binary files and libraries.  I discovered that the Xandros /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so driver contains "ZoomIn" and "ZoomOut" options that are not present in the ArchLinux driver;  the Xandros gsynaptics-elantech utility simply sets these as a booleans.

So, for laughs, I copied the Xandros synaptics_drv.so over to my ArchLinux environment, and restarted X.  X was able to load and configure the driver just fine, no errors (other than the sluggish mouse movements I had come to loathe in the Xandros distribution), but I still couldn't get the pinch-zoom function to work, although everything else did (I tried setting the Option "ZoomIn" and Option "ZoomOut" to "1", then to "true", restarting X after every change, with no effect).  At which point, I restored my old driver, and decided to give the problem a rest.

If someone else wants to continue down this path, I'd like to hear what you discover.

Thanks for your help and thoughts.  I also noticed the updated wiki.  I tried its recommendations, but I still haven't had much luck.  Maybe I don't have the synaptic driver installed?  I'll tinker with it some more this evening.

I'll just be happy if I can get back two-finger scroll and three-finger right click, but it would be interesting to get the pinch functionality working, too.

#219 2008-09-24 18:18:45

Robertek
Website

freigeist wrote:

I'm having big troubles with the elantech driver. There seems to be a conflict with some gnome settings, the mouse is working for a while, but then somethings happening that stops the touchpad from working when I log in again, the mouse works in gdm but when gnome is loading no movement is possible anymore (the buttons are still working). Anyone experiencing the same? With both git and stable the eee module won't load (segmentation fault) and gsynaptics won't work too (segmentation fault). With the latest git X won't start (exception caught)...and last but not least, the kernel seems to be much slower than the one without highmem and elantech, is it just me who is experiencing this? By the way I'm using a 1000H with 2GB Ram...

Try fsck-ing the system partition, reinstal kernels etc. I dont have problems with eee module but have the same problem with gsynaptics. 2.6.27 is knocking on the door, so I think it will be better then. This should be some regression.

I dont know if it is slower on my 1G, but I dont like HIGHMEM at all. If it has been possible I would install 64bit ARCH.

Last edited by Robertek (2008-09-24 18:20:11)

#220 2008-09-24 21:30:11

chori

legzelda wrote:

Thanks for your help and thoughts.  I also noticed the updated wiki.  I tried its recommendations, but I still haven't had much luck.  Maybe I don't have the synaptic driver installed?  I'll tinker with it some more this evening.

I'll just be happy if I can get back two-finger scroll and three-finger right click, but it would be interesting to get the pinch functionality working, too.

Looking at your xorg.conf posted above, I see that you need to add synaptics to your Modules:

Section "Module"
    Load  "GLcore"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "xtrap"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "freetype"
    Load  "synaptics"
EndSection

After you add that, restart X, and take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  You should see output indicating that the synaptics and Elantech drivers were correctly configured.

Last edited by chori (2008-09-24 23:01:19)

#221 2008-09-24 22:43:22

legzelda

chori wrote:
legzelda wrote:

Looking at your xorg.conf posted above, I see that you need to add synaptics to your Modules:

Section "Module"
    Load  "GLcore"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "xtrap"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "freetype"
    Load  "synaptics"
EndSection

After you add that, restart X, and take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  You should see output indicating that the synaptics and Elantechy drivers were correctly configured.

Thanks so much!  Your suggestion worked, but I also had to install the synaptics package (I used the one from AUR).  Getting the touchpad working is a big relief.

Thanks again for your tips, work and time, both in this thread and on the wiki!

Last edited by legzelda (2008-09-24 22:43:54)

#222 2008-09-24 23:00:46

chori

legzelda wrote:

Your suggestion worked, but I also had to install the synaptics package (I used the one from AUR).  Getting the touchpad working is a big relief.

D'oh!  I looked at my install notes for my own machine, and indeed, I did first install the synaptics package from AUR.  I added that important step to the wiki.  smile

Glad you got it working.  Now if we could only get pinch + zoom...

#223 2008-09-25 06:52:49

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

chori wrote:

[...]
For debugging purposes, did you comment out the sections of your suspend and resume scripts that load/unload modules, one-by-one, to see if perhaps one of the modules was causing the delay?  In particular, if you're using Roberteks kernel, unloading/loading snd-hda-intel might be causing a problem, as that module doesn't exist in his kernel (it's compiled in).

Does /var/log/messages.log have anything suggestive?

chori, thanks for the reply.

pm-suspend.log shows the entire pm-suspend resume procedure only taking ~5 seconds from "Awake" to "Done", so I don't think the problem is there. Also haven't been able to find anything in messages.log.

On the other hand, since upgrading to the latest kernel I haven't had any problems.

By the way, lsmod lists snd_hda_intel, atl1e, rt2860 and some others as modules. Didn't you say at least snd_hda_intel was compiled in?

#224 2008-09-26 08:39:57

Robertek
Website

schuay wrote:
chori wrote:

[...]
For debugging purposes, did you comment out the sections of your suspend and resume scripts that load/unload modules, one-by-one, to see if perhaps one of the modules was causing the delay?  In particular, if you're using Roberteks kernel, unloading/loading snd-hda-intel might be causing a problem, as that module doesn't exist in his kernel (it's compiled in).

Does /var/log/messages.log have anything suggestive?

chori, thanks for the reply.

pm-suspend.log shows the entire pm-suspend resume procedure only taking ~5 seconds from "Awake" to "Done", so I don't think the problem is there. Also haven't been able to find anything in messages.log.

On the other hand, since upgrading to the latest kernel I haven't had any problems.

By the way, lsmod lists snd_hda_intel, atl1e, rt2860 and some others as modules. Didn't you say at least snd_hda_intel was compiled in?

Do you have git kernel?? Because I did some changes to standardize to other kernels, like compiling sound as modules. Stable release will be tweaked this way soon as the new stable vanila will be released. We also plan with  CHORI to merge our configs and make them similar as could be.

#225 2008-09-26 09:53:22

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

robertek,
yes i was using the git kernel.. that explains it smile

Board footer