You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-16 02:21:04

l33tunderground
Banned

Requesting a look into the stability of xulrunner.

Alright guys, here's the deal. I've had freezes on my laptop (Gateway MT3421, I'll be happy to supply more info if you want) almost since the day that I got it, and a lot of work has been done trying to fix it. The journey from unpacking my computer to right now is a long one, and is the topic of another post in and of itself. To be short: I'm basically 100% sure that it isn't my display drivers, X, or almost anything else (it could be an ACPI issue, but I've done so much short of reinstalling windows and updating my bios that I doubt it) that causes usual issues. Actually, I'm sure it's not because I believe it has frozen with acpi=off in the grub boot options hmm

Back on topic though, here's what happens: a complete system lockup. Keyboard, mouse, display, EVERYTHING is completely frozen. I have never had this happen in the console, and it only seems to happen when firefox is open. At least that's what I thought. Whenever it happens, I am always browsing. I tried changing to Epiphany, then kazehakase, and pretty much everything else that works, but it still kept freezing. Then I noticed something: basically the only thing these packages have in common is xulrunner. I ruled out the proprietary flash drivers due to a freeze with swfdec-mozilla. I have not the slightest clue about where one would start examing xulrunner, but I believe that it could be causing these problems. For now, I have switched to Flock (the only, what i consider, stable and full-featured browser that doesn't use xulrunner), so if it freezes I'll drop this idea and move on to probably a computer-specific issue.

However, with all the complaints of random freezing usually with firefox running, I think it is at least worth a look. I can take a look at the PKGBUILD and see if there are any other configure options or something that might be wonky with the package.

Edit: I know there is epiphany-webkit, but 1. I rather like firefox, and if this can be fixed that would be great and 2. I would rather not like to install a bunch of GNOME deps (I'm running awesome and like it minimal).

Last edited by l33tunderground (2008-08-16 02:24:40)

#2 2008-08-16 02:43:23

l33tunderground
Banned

Re: Requesting a look into the stability of xulrunner.

<sigh>

I concede defeat to whatever evil, killing beast has control of my computer. Flock just froze, so that rules out xulrunner. So, unless it's mozilla-common or something, it's probably computer specific. Regardless, it's seriously the most annoying and disheartening thing I've ever dealt with. I mean, I have a BIOS bug before Arch even finishes booting >< Sorry to start this topic,.

Edit: Can't take it down lol

Last edited by l33tunderground (2008-08-16 02:44:28)

#3 2008-08-16 02:54:41

l33tunderground
Banned

No! No conceding yet! I just uninstalled flash and mozilla-common, maybe that'll make a difference. If that doesn't work, then I'll see if I can get it to freeze in X with a browser not open. If that happens, I'll change the title of this thread to compensate for my newest target.

Edit: Sorry for my random jumping around with this; I refuse to believe that there is something wrong with my hardware to the point where from now until the day I get a new computer I'll live under the threat of constant freezing.

Last edited by l33tunderground (2008-08-16 02:55:56)

#4 2008-09-21 21:56:49

tositstill

Hi!

I think I have the same problem and hey! I thought it was xulrunner as well! =]

I have no idea of what may cause this problem but it's really annoying. I have an Acer Aspire 7720 laptop. It has many problems, but this one is horrible.

Do you have any other ideas to what may be causing this?

I'm all out.

Keep in touch!
Maria.

#5 2008-09-23 01:31:02

l33tunderground
Banned

@tositstill

Nice to hear from another person that has had this problem, but I'm sorry to say that I've made no more headway on this hmm

I have since upgraded to a new laptop, and I don't have this problem anymore, but I think it's fair to say that xulrunner is not the issue. More than likely, it's a hardware compatibility issue with something in the core system (probably kacpi or acpi) and xulrunner is just aggrivating the already existing issue so that it locks up.

That's just my current opinion. I'll be keeping a look out for info on this (since someone is going to inherit my computer with this issue), so if you find any new info don't hesitate to make note of it here!

Board footer