You are not logged in.

#26 2008-08-26 13:05:55

adriaan

Re: [SOLVED] Netcfg on boot-up doesn't work since update

ghostcat wrote:

Don't know if this is the same problem. The new /etc/rc.d/network script has a new test to see if the wireless LAN is associated. This fails with the message "Could not associate ath0 - try increasing WIRELESS_TIMEOUT and check network is WEP or has no security". 

It turns out that (at least for the madwifi driver) the driver does not associate until it is given a valid IP address. This means that regardless of the timeout value this test will always fail.

I just wanted to thank you. My wireless went down without any apparent reason. I looked into the network script, but I wasn't sure whether it was wise to change it. Just for future reference, I commented out

if [[ "$bssid" = "00:00:00:00:00:00" ]]; then
    printhl "Could not associate $1 - try increasing WIRELESS_TIMEOUT and check network is WEP or has no security"
    return 1
fi

and everything seems to be working fine again.

#27 2008-08-26 13:32:51

iphitus
Forum Fellow

adriaan wrote:

I just wanted to thank you. My wireless went down without any apparent reason. I looked into the network script, but I wasn't sure whether it was wise to change it. Just for future reference, I commented out

if [[ "$bssid" = "00:00:00:00:00:00" ]]; then
    printhl "Could not associate $1 - try increasing WIRELESS_TIMEOUT and check network is WEP or has no security"
    return 1
fi

and everything seems to be working fine again.

Your driver is very very broken. File bugs upstream with the driver developer instead of just ignoring the issue.

vjoe: your settings look fine. Do an "/etc/rc.d/net-profiles restart" after boot and see what it says.

#28 2008-08-27 03:26:29

dsr

initscripts 2008.08-1 broke my /etc/rc.conf network settings, too. Now I'm using net-profiles (with SCAN="no") and it's working fine.

#29 2008-08-27 05:10:24

iphitus
Forum Fellow

dsr wrote:

initscripts 2008.08-1 broke my /etc/rc.conf network settings, too. Now I'm using net-profiles (with SCAN="no") and it's working fine.

File a bug?

#30 2008-08-27 09:06:34

vjoe

iphitus wrote:

vjoe: your settings look fine. Do an "/etc/rc.d/net-profiles restart" after boot and see what it says.

It says nothing. sad

The only thing I did different this time from the other, is that this time, I installed the package in the CD. Last time I had been able to connect with "iwconfig up" because my network was protected with WPA.
Also, because of that, I had the rc.conf with some wireless settings.

I don't know what to do... sad

#31 2008-08-27 19:13:30

dsr

iphitus wrote:
dsr wrote:

File a bug?

My problem is the same as the one discussed in this thread (or at least the one that monstermudder78 has). I take it a bug was not filed yet?

#32 2008-12-20 07:05:09

Schneibster

ghostcat wrote:

Don't know if this is the same problem. The new /etc/rc.d/network script has a new test to see if the wireless LAN is associated. This fails with the message "Could not associate ath0 - try increasing WIRELESS_TIMEOUT and check network is WEP or has no security". 

It turns out that (at least for the madwifi driver) the driver does not associate until it is given a valid IP address. This means that regardless of the timeout value this test will always fail.

I had precisely the same problem as this; it's not the driver, and it's not madwifi, and it's not iwlwifi. It's the scripts. There's a bug for it.

Here is my experience:
1. Loaded Arch onto my laptop with a 3945ABG (Gateway MP8708)
2. Followed the Arch Wiki page http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup for my interface
3. Followed the Arch Wiki page http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wpa_supplicant to do a manual wpa_supplicant setup for WPA2/PSK AES
4. Works fine.
5. Did pacman -Syu and rebooted
6. Manual wpa_supplicant no longer works, and I get the "could not associate" message above during startup
7. Re-installed from scratch
8. Copied /etc to a new directory so I would have copies of all the scripts
9. Redid 2, 3, 4, and 5 to validate it fails the same way- it does
10. Copied /etc/rc.d/network from the original install
11. Works fine.

Conclusion: the new initscripts /etc/rc.d/network is broken. Simple, straightforward, easy, and obvious. I'll find the bug soon; it's not that complicated, I'm just too tired to walk through it now. When I installed SuSE 11.0 and updated they created substantially the same problem, though their network setup, particularly for wireless, is considerably more complex. Hopefully anyone who runs into this will google their error message and see the above so they can fix it. NOTE: the above instructions for simply commenting the test for the MAC address from iwconfig out of the wi_up() subroutine in /etc/rc.d/network DOES NOT WORK, at least in my case. So if you tried it and it didn't work, try using the original script from the install. I installed 64-bit 2008.6.

#33 2010-01-06 02:56:00

brianhanna

Looks like maybe this bug returned?  I didn't have this problem with 2009.08 64-bit until a recent update.  My card uses ath9k driver.  It works fine if I set it up manually after boot, just fails to set up during boot.

#34 2010-02-09 16:08:30

Agi93

I am having this problem as well. However I try to set up a connection to my WEP wireless network in /etc/rc.conf, it fails. I've tried netcfg (which is my favorite solution—if only it worked!), traditional setting up with the network daemon to connect wlan0, simply putting "/usr/bin/netcfg homenetwork" in my /etc/rc.local, and variations to my /etc/network.d/homenetwork profile. Nothing works.

The weird thing is that whenever I connect after boot with commands like

netcfg homenetwork

or the traditional

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid SSID key KEY
dhcpcd wlan0

all as root, any one of them will work.

What could be wrong? It seems all I can do is wait for the next update. I'm not using any testing repositories, this is a fresh install, and I'm using netcfg 2.2.1.

#35 2010-02-10 02:08:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

A thread from 2008, really?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#36 2010-02-10 02:10:42

Agi93

Sorry! I didn't notice the year of the posts before the last one. I just had this issue and thought it was relevant to mine. I'm all good now, though.

Board footer