You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-18 08:15:52

AKL

How to migrate Kmail from KDE 3.5 to Xfce?

Hi,

I was using KDE 3 with Kmail, but I've migrated to Xfce because KDE 4.1 doesn't run properly on my machine. I Made a new installation of Arch64, Xfce and the most recent KDEpim.
I copied the contents of the .kde folder in my old home directory to the .kde4 folder of the new system to keep my old emails.

At the first start of Kmail it didn't have the settings for sending email, but the settings for receiving them were correct. I could read the imported Emails, so basically it seemed to work.
After the second start the settings for sending email magically appeared, without me having changed something. But now I can't watch email which are not in HTML format. The text part just stays blank and I have to use the forward or reply function to view it.
Somehow Kmail seems to be broken on my system, it doesn't have any icons at the tool bar, kwallet is missing and the other apps of KDEpim complain about different icon-related problems (didn't pay attention to them right now).

So the big question is: how do I migrate properly from Kmail on KDE 3.5 to the recent Kmail on Xfce?
Is the KDEpim package really enough or is there something missing?
Where is Kwallet?
Should I rather use the KDEmod version of Kmail for KDE 3.5?

Endut! Hoch Hech!

#2 2008-08-18 09:31:04

zyghom
Website

Re: How to migrate Kmail from KDE 3.5 to Xfce?

why don't you use local imap for this ?
then ANY client you like is ok

Zygfryd Homonto

#3 2008-08-18 10:58:08

AKL

zyghom wrote:

why don't you use local imap for this ?
then ANY client you like is ok

You mean install a IMAP server ? Well, I plan to do this on my freeBSD fileserver, but there would be several users with even more webmail accounts, so this might be tricky for a newbie like me. Just moving my local mails seemed to be more easy for the moment. I was wrong, I guess.

Endut! Hoch Hech!

#4 2008-08-18 11:55:21

zyghom
Website

setting up imap (in my case dovecot) it is just one entry in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
then you can set up any client (like kmail) adding local account
then drag and drop all mails from kmail pop3 to local folders on imap

Zygfryd Homonto

#5 2008-08-19 00:41:24

QuimaxW
Website

Going from KMail to any other program isn't easy. If you wish to stay with KMail, try the version from KDEmod which is suited to be run 'standalone' from KDE. Should work alright.

Personally, I switched from KMail to Thunderbird using IMAP on my Arch Server. KMail should work fine though on XFCE.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

Board footer