You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-18 16:11:57

ssl6

some kde4 issues?

im just posting the issues that i`ve noticed with kdemod4. not sure what else to do.

but one issue, is my backround screen gets garbled periodically, so i have to grab a doilhpin window and drag it around the screen to correct it.

another issue is the help files, i try to create a database when it prompts me to so i can search the help files when i have my L-user moments. and the help tool crashes.

the other issue i noticed yesterday, after i played eduke for a little while, i like my retro games sometimes. i got out, and kwin had kindly crashed on me.

my other problem is that i can`t shut down, or reboot my system as long as firefox is open. i have to close firefox, and then shut down, other wise it hangs. i think amsn causes the same thing as well.

i also had the new version of k9copy crash, not sure if thats related

im on a 64 bit install, using nvidia drivers with my 7900gs. im thinkin i should install the debug packes so i can at least get the backtrace info, im sure someone would know what to do with that stuff. i also can`t get conky to appear transparent, it has to have the backround, im sure thats something else altogether.

i just needed to vent

Last edited by ssl6 (2008-08-18 20:04:11)

this is a signature

#2 2008-08-22 20:21:41

orasis

Re: some kde4 issues?

Although I have not had the same issues as you have had, I too have had my fair share of weird occurrences in KDE4.1(MOD).

I will not go into detail but suffice to say that it was not the most pleasant of experiences. In KDE4.1 (MOD) things will move, crash, etc randomly, and the screen issue (garbled) I would have the same thing happen, however the KDEMOD people have warned Nvidia users of certain 'quirks' so at least it's a known issue.

I think the KDEMOD team jumped prematurely towards KDE 4, it's still not ready for a functional desktop/workstation... It's nothing more than a toy at this period in time.

Thurin1 @ irc.freenode.net #archlinux

#3 2008-08-22 20:40:15

nirvanix

Re: some kde4 issues?

I've got an nvidia card. After the last driver upgrade, desktop effects no longer worked. I've had a few other little quirky things come up too, but I can deal with them. I think KDE 4 will be great in time, but I think it was premature for Arch to push it on people.

Last edited by nirvanix (2008-08-22 20:42:16)

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...

Board footer