You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-22 12:05:52

genisis300

Arch Look

Hi All,
i've not been that active on the forums but have used arch for about a year now, and i must say it's great, Even managed to get my Girlfriend to use it,
One thing that i like is the monthly screen shots just to see what people can do with things like openbox kde gnome etc,
Would it be possible to add a section to the arch linux website (simialr to gnome-look) for poeple to upload themes screenshots config files etc so that people can easily share there designs,
A forum entry is good but doesn't really allow for easy browsing and the proposed section could allow for config file uploads etc,

Just an idea, any thoughts suggestions?

Matthew

"is adult entertainment killing our children or is killing our children entertaining adults?" Marilyn Manson

#2 2008-08-22 13:23:32

timetrap
Website

Re: Arch Look

Well, there already is a section of the forum devoted to such things.

But this does sound like a good idea. It would be nice to not have to search through lots of threads to find backgrounds etc.

(also if I can add my idea, how about a voting system so we could vote in/out wallpapers from the archlinux-wallpaper package?)

#3 2008-08-22 14:15:44

totalwormage
Website

This sounds much better than the Artwork/Screenshots section of the forums, it wouldn't be difficult to make a page which is more orderly than a whole bunch of threads :]

#4 2008-08-22 16:35:51

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

We used to have a gallery for things like this, but we killed it because it wasn't used very much, and the threads remained quite popular. So from experience, I can say that while your idea is good, people will continue using the threads anyway.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#5 2008-08-22 16:37:11

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I guess we can have a third-party website, if anyone wants to put it up...

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#6 2008-08-22 22:57:38

genisis300

I think having the forum thread is still a good idea, However I'm probably not the only one that has tried to recreate someones theme on my laptop, having a place to upload the configs wallpapers etc would be much easier,

i have no problem setting up a 3rd part website is it possible to download the templates for the arch website to keep the theme consistent, and would the arch dev's mind me doing this?

"is adult entertainment killing our children or is killing our children entertaining adults?" Marilyn Manson

#7 2008-08-23 01:57:09

Garns

genisis300 wrote:

i have no problem setting up a 3rd part website is it possible to download the templates for the arch website to keep the theme consistent, and would the arch dev's mind me doing this?

You might be looking for this: http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=archwe … ;a=summary

$ head -2 archweb_pub/LICENSE 
            GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
               Version 2, June 1991

#8 2008-08-23 07:22:19

daf666
Website

I have been thinking about this also.. but not in a forum like design.
Social webs are popular these days.. what about each user has his own themable personal page, where he can blog, list his themes, favorite programs, dot files, scripts, etc... smile

Board footer