You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-25 09:47:22

Ch00k
Website

Approving packages installation

Hi guys,
I've a question about installing packages using pacman. I'm going to add some [unstable] repos to my pacman.conf (like [testing] from the official Arch repos and [playground] from kdemod). When installing a package, pacman doesn't tell which repo it's downloading this package from, so I won't know whether it downloaded it from a stable repo or not.
So, how do I control the behavior of pacman and approve or disapprove package installation when it's going to be installed from an unstable repo?
Thanks in advance! roll

Last edited by Ch00k (2008-08-25 09:47:43)

#2 2008-08-25 09:50:05

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: Approving packages installation

Actually, pacman does tell from which repo it is downloading.
I don't know how you are using it...

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#3 2008-08-25 09:59:05

xdeusx

As far as I know, if you use [Testing] you have to use it completely. If you just install a couple packages from it, you are likely to have an unusable system due to broken dependencys.

#4 2008-08-25 10:05:07

Ch00k
Website

OK, thanks! I'd better do start using these repos to see if I'd have any complaints about pacman.

#5 2008-08-25 11:25:37

rooloo

expect system breakage if you use testing repository. If you don't like things breaking then you'd be better off leaving it alone.

#6 2008-08-25 12:09:35

Ch00k
Website

rooloo wrote:

expect system breakage if you use testing repository. If you don't like things breaking then you'd be better off leaving it alone.

That's why I've created the thread, actually... Because you cannot break the system installing, lets say, Amarok from a [testing] repo. But installing a kernel26 package can easily break it smile And that's why I'd like to control such things. Anyway, if pacman can manage this, sorry for my incompetence... I've installed Arch only yesterday big_smile

Last edited by Ch00k (2008-08-25 12:12:34)

#7 2008-08-25 12:40:36

shining
Pacman Developer

Maybe we need a wiki page explaining what the testing repo is for?

It is often used for large rebuilds, either a shared library bump, or this one which is currently on-going :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/ncursesw
In these cases, the testing repo is used to detect which applications need to be rebuilt. So when you use testing, these applications will be broken. You have to check the developers know about it (following arch-dev-public ML is good for that) and notice them if necessary, and then either have to wait for their rebuild, or rebuilding them yourself.

The second main use case is that every update of [core] packages have to go through [testing] first, and be tested by a few developers before going to [core]. The big majority of these packages (which include the kernel) are important. They are not all as important as the kernel, but you usually won't appreciate one breaking.

Finally, package update like amarok which is in extra can go directly to the [extra] repository.

You have been warned. (I am not going to ask why you would want to break your system if you are a newcomer who just installed Arch, because I am scared of the answer...)

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#8 2008-08-25 18:14:42

rooloo

ch00k, you could always set abs to just download testing repository, then you could easily pick and choose what you wanted to be built and installed out of testing repo.

if your just looking for something to do because arch is boring, then compiling could easily keep you occupied for a few weeks till that gets annoying.

Board footer