You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-25 15:27:38

soulfire

make pacman believe a package is installed

Hello,
I compile mplayer-svn by myself to include some patches I need. If I want to install something that depends on mplayer I have to use the --nodeps option, but it's quiet annoying...
Is there a way to make pacman think a package is installed ? Something like the package.provided file in gentoo for example...

thanks!

#2 2008-08-25 15:33:44

Maki
Website

Re: make pacman believe a package is installed

I think the cleanes & best way is to compile mplayer-svn using makepkg and the install it as mplayer

If it ain't broke, broke it then fix it.

#3 2008-08-25 15:43:01

byte

man PKGBUILD: conflicts/provides

#4 2008-08-25 15:49:27

shining
Pacman Developer

There used to be mplayer-svn in unstable :
http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/m … iew=markup
What about moving it to AUR?
Maybe after syncing it with the stable one :
http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/m … iew=markup

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2008-08-25 17:13:57

Megamixman

Make a Pkgbuild for mplayer-svn, but don't call it mplayer. Rather use the provides and conflicts to make it provide mplayer and conflict with mplayer. This way you don't have overwrites.  AUR has a PKGBUILD for no gui mplayer from svn. I believe you can use that and just delete the no-gui flag in the configure line.

#6 2008-08-25 17:28:05

shining
Pacman Developer

Megamixman wrote:

Make a Pkgbuild for mplayer-svn, but don't call it mplayer. Rather use the provides and conflicts to make it provide mplayer and conflict with mplayer. This way you don't have overwrites.  AUR has a PKGBUILD for no gui mplayer from svn. I believe you can use that and just delete the no-gui flag in the configure line.

Ah yes, good point, I missed that one. If you don't need mplayer gui (which is not so cool anyway), then it is perfect.
Otherwise, there might be more to change than just the configure flag. For example, installing a skin, and maybe also adding some dependencies.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

Board footer