You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-26 05:13:46

smakked

Problem with new installation

Ok i have installed Arch on one of my hdds on my machine, i have 4 hdds in total. I used to have vista install on the one i now have arch on.
Problem is when i go to boot arch it goes looking for windows boot mgr and wont boot, i have installed grub on the hdd that has arch on it, but it will not boot. I disconnected all HDDs except for arch and it booted. CHecked bios and made sure the correct hdd was selected for the first boot device, but it will still not boot if any other hdd is attached? How can i fix this.

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#2 2008-08-26 06:45:03

Mektub

Re: Problem with new installation

smakked wrote:

Ok i have installed Arch on one of my hdds on my machine, i have 4 hdds in total. I used to have vista install on the one i now have arch on.
Problem is when i go to boot arch it goes looking for windows boot mgr and wont boot, i have installed grub on the hdd that has arch on it, but it will not boot. I disconnected all HDDs except for arch and it booted. CHecked bios and made sure the correct hdd was selected for the first boot device, but it will still not boot if any other hdd is attached? How can i fix this.

You installed Grub on the HDD that has Arch on it, and probably you will be better of installing it on the
Master Boot Record (MBR).

Grub can manage all other OS that you may have on your PC, you will have to edit (on ARCH)

/boot/grub/menu.lst

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2008-08-26 06:50:18

smakked

Well i thought i did install it on the correct MBR as it is the same HDD that had vista before, Unless vista does some funky shit and install on all HDD or something, is there a way to delete all MBRs on the rest of the hdd?

I know i didnt install it on the MBR thats the option i chose and always choose

Last edited by smakked (2008-08-26 06:55:24)

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#4 2008-08-26 07:06:56

Mektub

smakked wrote:

Well i thought i did install it on the correct MBR as it is the same HDD that had vista before, Unless VIsta does some funky shit and install on all HDD or somehting, is there a way to delete all MBRs on the rest of teh hdd?

Even if Vista installs boot sectors everywhere (I dont think so) you dont need to erase.

If you dont fiddle with your PC Bios, it will look for the MBR at the beginning of the first disk.

You may either reinstall Arch paying attention when it comes to the boot configuration where he suggests
to install the boot code, or you boot from a live CD and do the following:

[Grub starts counting with zero, that means that f.e. partition 4 is a 3 for Grub. Yep, that's a pain]

Supposing that Arch is on the 4th partition of the 3rd disk:

typing grub, you get the grub prompt:

grub> root (hd2,3)        [Arch is on disk 3, partition 4]
grub> setup (hd0)         [writes to the MBR of first disk]
grub> quit
reboot

With that you shoud boot straight into Arch.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

Board footer