You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-26 17:27:57

saneone

font rendering issue & multimedia keys not working

Hi, yesterday i switched to KDEmod 4.1 and I have two major problems...

One is font rendering issue... I did not change anything in my font-related packages (cairo, freetype, fontconfig, libxft) and i have to add that this setup worked perfectly in KDEmod 3.5.9, but now it looks like this:

95563f8981929b7d.jpg

cb643cac91fdc3d2.jpg

a9389814887ecf89.jpg

This bug occurs only in qt apps and mostly in kmenu... i.e firefox renders my fonts flawlessly...

Second problem are multimedia keys on my keyboard...
They worked in KDE 3.5.9, but now I cannot set them up properly... Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't...
KDE recognizes the pressed key, but when I assign specific action and press the key, just nothing happens...

sad

I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death

#2 2008-08-26 17:51:14

haxit
Website

Re: font rendering issue & multimedia keys not working

Try xbindkeys for your multimedia keys. Works like a charm.

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#3 2008-08-27 14:18:51

saneone

up

#4 2008-09-07 22:09:06

saneone

bump

#5 2008-09-09 06:15:20

pudgewacl

You might be able to solve your font issue by going to System Settings -> Appearance -> Fonts.  I enable ant-aliasing.  I also clicked on configure and select "Use sub-pixel rendering" to RGB and the hinting style to Full.  I also use the Force fonts DPI to 96 DPI.  This makes the fonts pleasing to my eyes.

This is how I got my multimedia keys to work in KDE4.1:

Go to System Settings -> Regional and Language and make sure to set the County or region to your location.

khotkeys needs to be running.  I added it to the autostarted progam list. System Settings -> Advanced tab -> Autostart

When I got the multimedia keys working, I was really tring to get the keyboard shortcuts to work.  In addition to the above steps, I also deleted
~/.kde4/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc.  I do not know if deleting this file is needed to get the multimedia keys working, but it was to get the keyboard shortcuts woring.

Restart X

Go to  System Settings -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts
I set the volume control in the KMix component section.

To get the keyboard shortcuts to work, go to the menu editor and select the program you want to create a shortcuts for.  Click on the advanced tab and create the shortcut in the shortcut field.  Save.
Then go to  System Settings -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts. Change the component to KHotkeys.  Select the Program and then select the default shortcut that you just created.  (This works for the multimedia keys aswell).

Hope this helps,
pudge

Board footer