You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-30 04:37:14

alakazam

no 8139too module? Or did I get a bad download..

Hi, trying to download Arch via FTP install so I'm up to date.  I downloaded the base, 170mb, version, and burned it.  When I booted up everything seemed fine, except that when it said "Looking modules" or something, it seemed like it wasn't really reading the cd-rw, but maybe it was & this is normal, I'm just saying this in case.

Anyway it won't find the network card automatically, under Configure The Network, and when I do modprobe 8139too, it says stuff like "miix.h not found" & "8139too.h not found".

Did I get a corrupted download or do I need the full, 650mb, install for these modules?

#2 2004-06-30 19:04:13

lanrat

Re: no 8139too module? Or did I get a bad download..

You don't need full 650mb iso for the install. I'm not sure what is wrong with your cd but it looks like it's corrupted or maybe the cd drive has some problems? You can try installing base iso normally (without ftp install) and then setup network, reboot and upgrade the whole system with pacman -Syu. It will take just a few more minutes (base installation is very fast). If it doesn't work that's probably corrupted iso or drive problem (any acpi issues?).

#3 2004-07-01 00:23:54

ravster
Website

Whenever you dl something this big, its always a good idea to check the md5sum for the file.
(Though its a real killer when/if you find out that something has gone wrong after a half-hour download lol )

Also, you don't have to burn a cd if you are not sure, just use the loopback interface. I've never used it, so try it out if you have the inclination(tell us how it went smile )

Google.com/linux says to 'mount loopback iso'
http://www.google.com/linux?q=mount+loo … lla-search

And yes, as lanrat said, use the 170MB(Base) version. Though if you are a linux newbie it might be better to get the full version(thats what I used for my first Arch install)

#4 2004-07-01 14:26:35

alakazam

Hi everyone, thanks for responding, it's great to see a community smile

I ended up checking md5s thanks to your suggestions, and they turned up fine!  So it had to be something else, everyone else gets this Arch thoing wokring fine!

I use CD-RWs for Linux installs, so I odn't waste any cd-rs for one-time things (I change distros like a mad man).  I don't generally close my sessions either.  It turns out this may be the problem with Arch not loading the extra modules at start.  So I closed the disk, and it doesn't load the modules at start like it appears it should (or does everytone else do loaddisk?) but when I do loaddisk /dev/cdroms/blah/blah it works! This has worked with all my other Linux installs, so it might be a problem with Arch or my 100 times used cd-rw lol.

Well it turned out fine and now I'm running KDE (easy as a Debian apt-get but an up to date FF--cool!!) but my fonts are ugly and sounds don't work.  Look for more postings!

BTW this loopback mount thing looks  verrry interesting, I will check into more after this post.

#5 2004-07-01 20:05:55

lanrat

Be sure to check http://wiki.archlinux.org and search the forums before you ask your questions about sound and fonts - they are appearing very freqently here and your problems are probably already solved.

Quick solution for fonts is to install addtional fonts packages (run pacman -Ss font to search for available font packages) and edit your /etc/fonts/local.conf - I posted mine here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=4975&start=45

About sound: try to install and run hwd (hardware detection) first. It will help you to setup sound and other things.

#6 2004-07-12 03:04:54

alakazam

Thank you for all the info!!  I'm going to try all this right now..

#7 2004-07-18 03:54:14

alakazam

Aha!  Lookie here: http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/ … .html#faq9

Add-Ons fail to load during bootup from CD

When booting from the install CD, try to make sure the CD is in the drive that will be known as /dev/cdroms/cdrom0. Otherwise the automatic attempt (or rather: potshot) at loading the addons from the CD will fail, since loading from cdrom0 is hardcoded into the boot process right now.

Alternatively you may ignore this error, and issue the appropriate command manually once you are dropped into the shell:

# loaddisk /dev/cdroms/cdrom1

Instead of cdrom1, you should of course supply the device name of the CD-ROM drive containing the ArchLinux installation CD.

I was using my Cd-rw drive (cdrom2!), since my normal cd drive can't read cd-rws.  Problem solved smile

BTW I love this distro & I htink i't has the most potential out of hte many distros I've tried.  Good job...

Board footer