You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-28 22:15:46

TjPhysicist
Website

[Solved] cannot boot into a full system.

I dont know why or what i did. I am using testing currently. So it might be an update, but now when i boot up, it says "command not found4" and "command not found8" etc with the number after found (no space) changing randomly as far as i know, at boot. This happens even before the root fs is checked and loaded and any modules are loaded. And since i am  assuming it fails to load a bunch of commands in the beggining, it jst fails everywher, i have a semi-booted system with half a CLI. most of the font dont work, so i cannot see a lot of the stuff.

A lot of the commands do not work. Thankfully pacman does, so i can reinstall uninstall etc. i have NO idea whats wrong, the hook thing that happens at boot does not (again "command not found4").
ANy idaes?

-Tj

Last edited by TjPhysicist (2008-08-29 16:41:32)

-Tj
Now reborn as Tjh_ (to keep it similar to my username in other places)

#2 2008-08-28 22:55:26

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: [Solved] cannot boot into a full system.

Does dmesg give you any clues about what commands it doesn't find?

#3 2008-08-29 00:18:48

TjPhysicist
Website

the only thing dmesg says is that every time i boot it says smthg about root and home bneing curropted. It rand fsck (i think). I will find a way to run fsck on root (dont have a live cd with me).

-Tj

Last edited by TjPhysicist (2008-08-29 00:27:18)

-Tj

#4 2008-08-29 14:21:59

TjPhysicist
Website

OK i ran an fsck, i fixed 1/2 the problems. I.e. now i get less errors, and more stuff starts up. Now gui starts up, but no mouse. I cannot connect to the internet, cuz eth0, eth1 are not initialised.

O also, no more errors from dmesg now.
-Tj

Last edited by TjPhysicist (2008-08-29 14:22:18)

-Tj

#5 2008-08-29 16:39:30

TjPhysicist
Website

OK, finally figured it out. I booted up the arch rescue/install cd. And started to go thru the install (without formatting /) when i reached the config files, a lot of them were in DOS mode, or had ^M at the end of every line. So i fixed that, ran mount --bind {/dev /proc /sys} etc... and chroot. And walla full system. So now i am booted into a full system. I think a windows virus got into F:\ (the linux / partition), and started to go thru the files (this one copies itself to exe files, and thus searches for them thrru all the files in the system), and it may have gone thru them thinking its a regular windows partition with windows/dos format files. And thus wierd things happened, come to think of it, thats prbly why the filesystems were curropted, and no curroption on windows drives. lol, stupid virus.

-Tj

-Tj

#6 2008-08-29 17:02:07

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Wow.  Who would have thought that would happen?  Great that you figured it out and fixed it  smile

Board footer