You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-29 14:33:18

Eivuwan

How do I ensure that linux would work on the new Dell Latitude E6400?

I want to purchase this laptop:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr … l=en&s=bsd

with this configuration:

PROCESSOR    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz, 3M L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)    edit
OPERATING SYSTEM    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic SP1, With media    edit
WARRANTY & SERVICE    3 Year Limited Warranty and 3 Year Mail-in Service    edit
LCD PANEL    14.1" UltraSharp™ WXGA+ (1440x900) LED Display - Brush Metal Black    edit
GRAPHICS AND EXPANSION SLOT    Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD With Express Card    edit
MEMORY    2.0GB, DDR2-800 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS    edit
INTERNAL KEYBOARD    Internal English Keyboard    edit
CAMERA/MICROPHONE    Digital Microphone    edit
PRIMARY STORAGE    80GB Hard Drive, 7200RPM with Free Fall Sensor    edit
OPTICAL DRIVE    24X CDRW/DVD with Cyberlink PowerDVD™    edit
WI-FI WIRELESS CARD    Intel® WiFi Link 5100 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini Card    edit
FINGERPRINT READER OPTION    No Fingerprint Reader    edit
BACKUP OS DRIVERS AND SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION    Resource DVD - Contains Diagnostics and Drivers    edit
My Accessories
BATTERY    9 Cell Battery    edit
PRIMARY POWER OPTIONS    90W A/C Adapter (3-pin)    edit

I really want to get this laptop soon, but I'll be so irritated if I tried to install arch on it and it doesn't work. Thank you for your help.

#2 2008-08-29 20:17:21

sfabius

Re: How do I ensure that linux would work on the new Dell Latitude E6400?

Well, from the 'first look' reviews (there's a first look review dated today!), it seems to be a brand new model, which means there won't be many folks who have tested it. It depends on what you mean by 'work' as well. Arch is almost sure to install a basic system, but things like suspending, cpu speed changes, and wifi usually take some work on most distros in my experience. One thing to do is to google for some of the components to see if linux users have had success. Two important ones are the video card and the wireless card. If those look good, then give it a try. You might need to work at it a bit, but I usually manage with help from the forums wink You could even write up your experience on a wiki so that others can benefit from your experience...

#3 2008-08-29 21:02:04

moljac024

Re: How do I ensure that linux would work on the new Dell Latitude E6400?

It's an intel video card so it should work without hassle.

But dude, that's one wicked laptop! (except for maybe the small hd size)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer