This has been a long time issue that I kind of ignored by using Mouse Gestures add-on, but I'd like to resolve it if possible. In Opera my side buttons on the mouse go forward/backward just fine. They used to work in Firefox but haven't since Firefox 3 update. Here's the mouse section of my xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice" # generated from default Identifier "Mouse0" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "auto" Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no" Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" EndSection
Again, it works in Opera but not in FF (and I use and greatly prefer FF).
From the firefox wiki:
In Firefox 3 on Linux, the mouse button assignments for Back and Forward have changed. Previous versions of Firefox used buttons 6 and 7 for Back and Forward, respectively. Firefox 3 uses buttons 8 and 9. You can configure Firefox to use 6 and 7 by editing some hidden preferences.
1. In the Location bar, type about:config, and press Enter.
2. In the Filter: box, type mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.
3. Double-click on mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action, set the value to 2, and click OK.
4. Double-click on mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.numlines, set the value to -1, and click OK.
5. Double-click on mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.sysnumlines, which should set the value to false.
You can now close the about:config page.
Wow, thanks SO much Barghest! Silly me for not finding that on the wiki, oy vey. It works like a charm!