You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-01 00:51:59

LeoSolaris

[SOLVED]e17/gnome media started displaying on desktop.

I deactivated the desktop media display in gnome with gconf-editor, and recently installed e17.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to disable the media desktop icons that have suddenly reappeared in gnome (and incidentally in e17, too.)

I found it in the e17 config menu.  now I feel a bit foolish.

Last edited by LeoSolaris (2008-09-01 01:07:24)

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#2 2008-09-01 01:06:55

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]e17/gnome media started displaying on desktop.

Would you happen to be using pcmanfm? If so, go to Edit--> Preferences--> Desktop and uncheck 'Manage the desktop and show file icons'.

#3 2008-09-01 01:08:48

LeoSolaris

Na...    It was something to do with the desktop icons that are fairly new in e17.

Thanks though!

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#4 2008-09-01 01:11:28

skottish
Forum Fellow

LeoSolaris wrote:

Na...    It was something to do with the desktop icons that are fairly new in e17.

Thanks though!

Being an E17 user, I'm curious about this. What new desktop icon thing?

Last edited by skottish (2008-09-01 01:11:37)

#5 2008-09-01 18:26:54

LeoSolaris

skottish wrote:

Being an E17 user, I'm curious about this. What new desktop icon thing?

It's probably not "new", but it didn't display media/partitions on the desktop last time I tried e17. In my research on it, all of the notes referred to icons on the e17 desktop being "new", so I ran with it. I would bet that either something didn't load right the first time I tried e17, or the defaults changed slightly.

For some reason, I have always found icons make the desktop look cluttered, which is strange for me, because my real desktop is constantly covered with stuff.

E17 is a good deal of fun, and I may start using it more often than gnome. It is interesting that the setting in one cross over into the other. The reason I went back to gnome the first time was because I didn't have the time to configure e17, and I had already tweaked gnome all to heck. (Plus, I was going through a "try every WM or DE in Ubuntu's repos" phase.)

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#6 2008-09-01 18:30:40

skottish
Forum Fellow

LeoSolaris wrote:

For some reason, I have always found icons make the desktop look cluttered, which is strange for me, because my real desktop is constantly covered with stuff.

It's funny, the only thing I have on my E17 desktop is a transparent TClock module (in an IBox) on the bottom right corner of my left-most monitor. There's never anything else there. I love how easy E17 makes it to be simple and beautiful at the same time.

Last edited by skottish (2008-09-01 18:35:09)

#7 2008-09-02 13:03:52

LeoSolaris

I agree with ya there. I have been poking at e17 off and on, and I do enjoy it. I rather like gnome too, but it is slightly more work to get interesting looks. Your's sounds like an interesting arrangement. I haven't had the time, or spare cash, to branch out into dual monitor setups.

I have found fluxbox and fvwm to be perfect for those times when I just need a quick system up with a couple of basics, like a browser of a real fast WYSIWYG text editor. (sorta like Asus's 15-sec embedded distro) I am planning to put one of them on top of a near core Arch install, and compare it to Puppy, just for kicks.

The only one to really drive me nuts is KDE, and ya, I  know there is a pretty good sized contingent of hardcore KDE fans here on Arch. Something about the way it is organized bothers me, but I just can't put my finger on what it is precisely.

Wow...   at least we are running tangent to the topic in a solved thread.

Last edited by LeoSolaris (2008-09-02 13:05:18)

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#8 2008-09-02 16:08:53

bgc1954

Just a note in case any other "old" e17 users look at this thread, I also noticed when playing around with another "nameless" distro and installed e17, media icons appeared on the desktop.  I never had this happen in Arch and wondered what the heck was going on since I also do not like an icon-cluttered desktop.  After some googling and searching in the Arch forums I saw a post that mentioned the config panel->Hal icon settings.  When I looked in my Arch setup I couldn't even find such a thing.  After some poking around I found that I didn't even have the File Manager module loaded and that is where the HAL icons enable/disable option is located.

Gee...you learn something new every day. tongue

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Board footer