You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-06 18:00:04

nielsb
Website

intel-dri indirectly causes x-server to crash (x86_64)

It seems that the latest version of intel-dri (7.1.2 testing) causes xserver ( < 1.4.99) to crash when opening certain applications (openoffice 3.0 amongst them). I noticed it the first time a couple of days ago when I was going to run open-office, and my X server crashed. I retried a couple of times, and it happened every time (a couple of days prior to that I had been able to run openoffice just fine, but I also had done a pacman -Syu with testing enabled the day oo crashed X). I didn't think much about it at the time, as I had tinkered with the system and was going to do a re-pave anyway.

I did the repave yesterday, not using testing, installed openoffice and everything worked fine. I then enabled testing, and did sudo pacman -Syu. All worked OK (oo started OK etc). During the system upgrade intel-dri was upgraded to 7.1.2, xf86-video-intel to 2.4.2 and xorg-server to 1.4.99. However, at the moment I cannot use xserver 1.4.99 as VirtualBox doesn't support it, so I downgraded xserver back to 1.4.2 and also had to downgrade xf86-video-intel to 2.3.2. When I now (after the downgrades) tried to open oo, X crashed.

Eventually I realized that it may be intel-dri causing the issues, so after downgrading back to 7.0.3 I can now open oo without crashing X. So it seems that intel-dri 7.1.2 together with xorg-server < 1.4.99 are causing issues for some applications. Another interesting (at least for me) point is that there is a huge size difference between intel-dri 7.0.3 (~3 Mb) and intel-dri 7.1.2 (~500 k), is it supposed to be like that?

Anyway, hopefully this can help someone that runs into the same issues.

Niels

MacBook4.1 - Arch64 - OpenBox WM

Board footer