You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-06 22:39:00

vjoe

Neverwinter Nights

Hello,

I was going to install Neverwinter Nights, but I have a question first. In the official website it says:

Installing Using Downloaded Linux Client Resources

1. Download and extract the contents of the Linux Client Resources (nwresources129.tar.gz, 1.12 GB). This file is available for download from these mirror site(s):

* Linux Client Resources v1.29 - Fileshack
    * Linux Client Resources v1.29 - BioWare

2. For a non-english install, you will also need the appropriate language file. Download and extract the contents of the language file into the 'nwn' directory created by extracting the files in Step 1. These files are available for download from these mirror site(s):

* German Language Files v1.29 (.tar.gz, 364 MB) - BioWare
    * French Language Files v1.29 (.tar.gz, 341 MB) - BioWare
    * Spanish Language Files v1.29 (.tar.gz, 4 MB) - BioWare
    * Italian Language Files v1.29 (.tar.gz, 4 MB) - BioWare

3. Download the Linux Client 1.29 binaries (tar.gz, 5.3 MB).

4. Extract the contents of Linux Client binaries (nwclient129.tar.gz) into the 'nwn' directory created by extracting the files in Step 1.

5. Update to latest version.

6. Play the Game. To run Neverwinter Nights, run ./nwn or ./dmclient from your install directory to run the player client or DM client respectively.

This probably means I will have to have a ~/nwn directory. Isn't it possible to install it as a normal package?

#2 2008-09-06 22:55:36

klixon

Re: Neverwinter Nights

It is possible to make a package. If you're only installing the base game, this is not too much of a hassle. However... *grins*
If you're going to install the expansions as well (from seperate CD's, otherwise just look in AUR, there's a nie package there) it's a bit of a headache. And all files will end up in the ${whatever}/nwn directory anyways, so there's not much risk of conlficts... And removal is just a plain ol' rm -rf ${whatever}/nwn.

I dumped it in /opt/games, without making a PKGBUILD

Be sure to include hardware mouse cursor support and the fullscreen toggle patch for SDL to have a more pleasant experience (see this site for specifics)
Just dump your home-brew SDL lib somewhere in the ${whatever}/nwn/lib directory, so it doesn't interfere with the system-wide SDL. Here's my nwn batch to start the game:

#!/bin/sh

# This script runs Neverwinter Nights
cd /opt/games/nwn

#cleanup nwmouse logfile if it exists
[[ -f nwmouse.log ]] && rm nwmouse.log

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
export SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE=0
export SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0
export XCURSOR_PATH=`pwd`
export XCURSOR_THEME=nwmouse

# If you do not wish to use the SDL library included in the package, remove
# ./lib from LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib:./miles:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_PRELOAD=./nwmouse.so

./nwmain $@

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#3 2008-09-06 23:21:28

vjoe

Thanks for your reply.

I have the Totally Neverwinter Nights pack, and the package in AUR seems to be for the Diamond Collection. Will it work?

By the way, what should I do with that bash script?

#4 2008-09-07 01:06:59

klixon

The diamond collection is a 1 disc dvd set of the base game and the two extension packs. This means no mount/unmount whilst building the package. So, if your base game and 2 expension packs are on 1 single disc (instead of the usual 3 cd's) i may very well work (it may require some modifications depending on version). The PKGBUILD in AUR also incorporates the hardware mouse thing and the patched SDL, which is quite nice...

I use the bash script to start the game. It's a slightly modified version of the nwn script supplied by bioware
It sets the bash environment up so NWN looks in it's local folders for libraries first (pathed SDL for switching between full-screen and windowed mode) and tells the xserver to look in the nwn-folder for it's xcursors, so you can have the nice nwn-cursors when using the hardware mouse patch

PS: If you plan on using the PKGBUILD, be sure to read it first and edit in your cd-keys

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

Board footer