You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-07 02:55:40

kalpik
Website

Meanwhile for Lotus Sametime support

Hi!

I know a meanwhile package exists in AUR, but its been out of date for ages! Plus it does not include the presence patch. Without this patch, pidgin shows wrong online status for most of my sametime contacts. Even the latest version (1.0.2) does not include the patch, as i tried changing the version number in the PKGBUILD. Can someone please get the patch from https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p … tid=656718 and package it with the latest meanwhile? This would be a great help to me smile Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've done it! I have written a tutorial to enable Sametime support on Pidgin, along with a fixed meanwhile library on my blog: http://www.kalpiknigam.com/blog/2009/01 … rch-linux/

Last edited by kalpik (2009-01-18 11:32:56)

#2 2008-09-10 02:50:04

kalpik
Website

Re: Meanwhile for Lotus Sametime support

Noone? sad

#3 2008-12-26 15:29:22

nitro
Website

This is an issue for me as well.  I just installed Arch Linux on my Linux desktop at work, and I found out that the default sametime package included in extra doesn't include support for sametime at all.  What's the deal?  This has been included by default (via the meanwhile library) in every other distribution that I've tried for about 3 years now.  Is there any particular reason that Arch excludes it?  Looking at the PKGBUILD file, it appears that this was specifically disabled:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --disable-schemas-install --disable-meanwhile \ --disable-nm --disable-perl --disable-gnutls --enable-cyrus-sasl --disable-doxygen \ --with-system-ssl-certs=/etc/ssl/certs || return 1

Can anyone please explain why this was done?  Without being able to connect to Sametime, Arch is almost a no-go for me at work.

Thanks.

Edit:  I just realized this was my first post on this forum.  Sorry - I hate for my first post to sound so demanding.  :-( Just for the record, I've been using Arch for a couple of months now on my two personal laptops and I've been quite pleased with it.  So pleased, in fact, that I'm trying to get it up and running on my (very) heavily used work desktop.  Unfortunately, we're a big Lotus shop, so Notes and Sametime access is a must.  As such, any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by nitro (2008-12-26 17:06:49)

#4 2008-12-30 13:12:27

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

The PKGBUILD you looked appears to be from the pidgin package.

Iirc packages in core/extra are not allowed to depend on packages from other repos (community, aur, user repos) .

Even if the meanwhile package in AUR were uptodate, you would need to build (and keep uptodate) your own pidgin package.

note : arch doesn't have default applications , and there are several other messenger programs in extra.

Off-topic addition :

I work as sysadmin in a windows environment where lotus and sametime are heavily used, and would love to try arch on the company network.
Can you point me towards info how to get notes 7.01 working on linux ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2008-12-30 13:18:33)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2008-12-31 18:26:03

smartcat99s

Use wine and the windows version of notes (just copy the install directory).  That works for me on 7.0.2 (Arch64/bin32-wine)

Running Folding@Home for Team 11108 - My Stats

#6 2009-01-04 07:44:08

nitro
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

The PKGBUILD you looked appears to be from the pidgin package.

That is correct.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Iirc packages in core/extra are not allowed to depend on packages from other repos (community, aur, user repos).

Fair enough, but that doesn't answer my question as to why the support was disabled?  It appears to depend on libmeanwhile, which is readily available, easily built, and easy to install.  There's even an AUR that was already contributed a while back:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=2956

Is there some reason that this is not included/supported?  Pidgin expects this to be there by default; hence the need to disable it at the command line.  Kopete and other IM clients also use this library.  It almost seems like more work to exclude it than include it.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Even if the meanwhile package in AUR were uptodate, you would need to build (and keep uptodate) your own pidgin package.

Right, hence my desire to NOT take this route.  ;-)  As far as I can tell, simply adding libmeanwhile to extra should fix all of these problems.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

I work as sysadmin in a windows environment where lotus and sametime are heavily used, and would love to try arch on the company network.  Can you point me towards info how to get notes 7.01 working on linux ?

I was never able to get Notes 7.x running successfully on Linux, but version 8.x works just fine (well, aside from the fact that it's Notes).  There's a software requirements doccument available for Notes 8.0 that specificies which libraries/packages (based on Red Hat) are necessary for running Notes under Linux.  I basically just went through this (lengthy) list package by package, figured out the Arch equivalent, and installed as necessary.  I had to pull a couple packages in from AUR, and still a couple more simply didn't have any readily available Arch packages.  However, these appear to be less-important packages that are only needed for some special functionality, as the mail and calendar components appear to work just fine on my Arch system.

#7 2009-01-04 07:47:27

nitro
Website

smartcat99s wrote:

Use wine and the windows version of notes (just copy the install directory).  That works for me on 7.0.2 (Arch64/bin32-wine)

I appreciate the suggestion, but I really don't have any desire to run any of this under wine when I already have the Notes client working natively under Linux and I know for a fact that Pidgin and Kopete can both function as Sametime clients.  The solution, at least to me, is to fix whatever issue is preventing Sametime support from working in Pidgin/Kopete as it does in most other distributions.

#8 2009-01-18 11:25:08

kalpik
Website

Hi!

I have written a tutorial to enable Sametime support on Pidgin, along with a fixed meanwhile library on my blog: http://www.kalpiknigam.com/blog/2009/01 … rch-linux/

Hope this helps someone smile

Last edited by kalpik (2009-01-18 11:32:35)

Board footer