You are not logged in.

#1 2003-04-13 22:33:21

hApy
Website

kde/kmix problem

Ok so I've installed KDE and gotten it mostly all set up, but one small problem persists and I can't figure out why. When I try to run KMix I get the following error:

kmix: error while loading shared libraries: libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and from what I understand libasound is only used with ALSA? Which I'm not using.

Sound works in KDE, but kmix doesn't. Also XMMS doesn't let me change the volume, but could be completely unrelated since I'm just using the OSS Sound driver.

I am using the cmpci module for my cmedia cm8738 sound card.

Hapy.

#2 2003-04-13 23:46:22

sarah31
Website

Re: kde/kmix problem

Well one thing you could try doing is rebuilding kmix like so:

if you have not done so already as root/superuser run:

abs

this will downloaded the Arch Build system files from the cvs tree and place them under /usr/abs

then cd into the kmix directory:

cd /usr/abs/kde/kmix

and as root run:

makepkg

this will automatically download the source and build kmix according to the PKGBUILD file in this directory.

you will be left with two directories --- src/ and pkg/ ---, a file called filelist that lists the files inthe package, and the tarballed package that is ready to be installed.

you can the install this package thusly:

pacman -U kmix-<whateverversion#>-<whateverrel#>.pkg.tar.gz

then exit out of superuser and test out the rebuild package. if it still requires libasound then you can check out configure option by cd'ing into the src/ directory and then into the kmix directory within it and running:

./configure --help

this should show you what options you have to configure kmix with and there should be mention of how to configure out alsa dependence. then all you would do, as root, is go back and edit the PKGBUILD file and add the option that disables alsa to the configure line in the build. save your changes and rebuild with makepkg && pacman -U <fullpackagenamehere>
or just makepkg -i (however with the package already installed i don't know if this would work i have never tried when rebuilding a package)

chances are ALSA is auto detected and no essential for building or using kmix. in which case the person whom built the package likely used alsa and, therefore, it became an unexpected depends of the current arch package.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-04-14 06:55:16

hApy
Website

I used abs/makepkg to rebuild kdemultimedia.... the really strange thing is that when I tried "pkg/opt/kde/bin/kmix" it failed for the same reason, but when I tried src/kdemultimedia-3.1.1/kmix/kmix" it worked perfectly.... ?

Oh well I can't really complain since it works now. smile

Thanks for such detailed help. smile

Hapy.

#4 2003-04-14 09:36:31

Arielext
Website

after you have build the package install it

pacman -U kdemultimedia-3.1.1-1.pkg.tar.gz

you have build a fresh version of kdemultimedia so that's why it works in the /src directory but you forgot to install/ upgrade it and that's why the /opt/kde kmix doesn't work.

apt-get install arch

#5 2003-04-15 02:32:17

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Hi Hapy!   big_smile

The libasound dependency is my bad, then.  I built kde on a box that had ALSA installed, and programs have a habit of linking to alsa libraries even when you explicitly tell them not to.  (yay)

For a quick fix, you can always just install the alsa libs (pacman -S alsa-lib)

#6 2003-04-15 04:56:34

hApy
Website

HeLO FRIEND!! big_smile

yeah it had --disable-alsa specifically in the build(), but I guess like you said, it likes to ignore it. smile

When I built the package w/ makepkg, running

/usr/abs/kde/kdemultimedia/pkg/opt/kde/bin/kmix

fails due to libasound not being found, but strangely

/usr/abs/kde/kdemultimedia/src/kdemultimedia-3.1.1/kmix/kmix

runs fine.

so I think that installing the package after building it would result in the same failure. (it's made by tar'ing up the pkg/ dir, right?)

maybe I should try another makepkg just to see if it does the same thing.

Hapy.

Board footer