You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-09 02:40:42

rasnik

X on lenovo T61 14" with nvidia 140 graphics.

hello,

I posted this in the new user forum, but maybe this is a better place:  I just got a Lenovo T61 laptop with 14" screen and nvidia 140 graphics.  I managed to get Arch installed to the point that I was trying to start X, and after trying to follow the various suggestions have no real success.  I've run "Xorg -configure"  "xorg-config" and "nvidia-xconfig" and none have allowed C to start.  By editing the output from "Xorg -configure" I eventually managed to get two xterms running in an X environment (via startx I think,) but the appearance was very fuzzy and didn't look right.  Then upon killing X I saw a bunch of errors about nvidia modules not being loaded, etc.  Now, the drivers are there, everything seems in order, only....no working X.

Also, it looks like the native resolution of my system should be 1440x900.  This is not one of the options given when Arch is starting up (still text-based only obviously for me) -- there I get 1280x768 as the max resolution.  Any suggestions?  If I could get this fixed I'm guessing I would be over the hump and onto remaining issues like acpi and bluetooth mouse, etc.

thanks,
david

#2 2008-09-09 02:53:28

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: X on lenovo T61 14" with nvidia 140 graphics.

I don't see why you open two separate topics for what is one system and a closely related problem...

Anyway. If X starts, even if it horribly fails to, it logs. It logs to /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Read it.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2008-09-09 03:14:28

rasnik

b,  the log contents cannot be included now since i am not in the same location as the machine.  nevertheless, i read them and did not find anything particularly useful in the output.  you are really kind of a pain though, and not very helpful.  since i am extremely new to arch (though not to linux) i first posted in the new user's section.  noticing that this section is explicitly for things like getting X working, I thought, I dunno, it might be a better place to post it.  sue me.  i was hoping to find someone with the same machine who had made it work; that's not you, so why don't you just let it be.

#4 2008-09-09 04:40:34

Allan
Pacman
Website

And we can just respond in the original post (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=54919).

rasnik wrote:

you are really kind of a pain though, and not very helpful

Not acceptable behaviour on the forums...   Look in the log is about the most helpful advice that can be given in this situation as there is really no information here for us to start helping.

Board footer