You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-11 22:41:05

sparky

Macbook Pro users - what's your temperature?

At idle, just shy of 50C (~120F) on each core here...about comparable to what I had on OS X. When I ramp things up, it may edge over 60C, but that's about the best I could do.

---
Last weekend I decided to take the plunge and rid myself of Leopard on my Macbook Pro Core Duo (early '06) and throw Arch on it. Don't get me wrong, OS X is great, but I wanted more freedom...I've had a couple Arch boxes running for over a year now and have become addicted. smile  The ride on the MBP has been great so far, and I've gotten almost everything working fine with the exception of iSight and the remote, only due to lack of effort and time. The wiki's and forums here, as well as Gentoo and *cough* Ubuntu were great resources.

I was curious about temperatures though, as there's a lot of talk in forums about it, but not a lot of people sounding of on what they're really running at. I think I have all the right modules loaded, core and fan speeds seem to be self regulating with load and temperature, although I've set the fan minimums to 3000 RPM. The true evidence though, it's a lot more comfortable on my lap than before!

Thanks for your responses!

-Tim

EDIT: For curiosity's sake, what about Macbooks, too? (not Pro)  Also, now that the room has cooled off a bit, I'm down to the lower 40's at idle.

Last edited by sparky (2008-09-12 01:41:14)

#2 2008-10-04 21:20:57

filologen

Re: Macbook Pro users - what's your temperature?

hi sparky

I own the same 1.gen model of the MacBook Pro as you. At the time of writing I run Ubuntu on it, but would love to switch to arch linux. Could you perhaps explain how you installed it? Are there any special tricks I should know of never having installed arch before?

If you have time to write a (short) howto or just give some helpful tips it would be great smile

Alex

#3 2008-10-04 21:27:51

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Welcome on the forums filologen. You might do well reading these forum's rules smile. Things on Arch (and its forums) probably function a little differently from how they work over at Ubuntu's forums (as a first, Arch has a philosophy of users showing initiative, and not relying on others to get the job done).

* B points to the wiki for info about installing on Mac systems and informs filologen about the blessings of googling.

Last edited by B (2008-10-04 21:30:31)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2008-10-06 02:01:53

sparky

filologen:

Indeed, the wiki, forums, and google are your friends, just as B said. While the community would generally encourage you to do some homework first, don't take it to mean you can't ask about what you get stuck on!

Arch is a technically simple distribution (as is clearly stated around the website, it's KISS approved), but you'll find yourself a little closer to the metal than you did in Ubuntu, as there's no elaborate auto-configs or fancy GUI front ends for configuration. You'll need to open the command line, but you'll find that the config files are very straightforward and well commented. This will likely be a bit intimidating at first (it was for me), but if you stay the course, you'll end up loving it.  The end result is a system exactly as you like it, not how someone decided it should be for you.

I did not run into any major difficulties installing Arch on the MBP, and followed relatively closely to what the wiki said, just some patience and googling. The only note I'd make is that if you've updated to the latest and greatest firmware from Apple, there is no need to use rEFIt or mess around with Bootcamp anymore unless you want to dual boot - I'm running a standalone Arch system, and I just threw in the disk and let it roll.  You'll want to make sure you have a copy of the official installation guide from the wiki, and the beginner's guide is also a good starting point for the basics.

Also, the Macbook Pro wiki article does leave a little to be desired, but if you poke through the equivalent ones at Ubuntu and Gentoo, they seem to fill in the blanks. I'm still pretty much a newcomer to Arch, but maybe someday soon I'll get brave enough to make some edits to the wiki pages. smile

Happy Arching!

Tim

Last edited by sparky (2008-10-06 02:03:23)

#5 2008-10-06 07:09:03

filologen

Thanks a lot for your kind answer, sparky

I am glad to hear that it seems to be a pretty forward installation. The command line and editing configuration files is not something that intimidates me. Getting a simpler system without a lot of unnecessary stuff is the reason I want to switch to archlinux.

#6 2008-10-06 07:46:12

Stythys
Website

[spam]

arch is teh best!!

[/spam]

big_smile

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#7 2008-10-06 11:10:04

sparky

filologen: No problem! Good luck with your first Arch install!

Stythys: +1!! big_smile

#8 2008-12-03 23:51:37

mobitux

my idle temperature is 38C and my max 71C if I play Urban Terror some hours ;-)

Board footer