You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-06 19:05:53

correct

Binary files -> package

I want to install GHC(haskell.org/ghc), but it's not available, so I thought:"Well let me check out that abs system". But it looks like it's only source. Is there some other way to create packages from binary files?

#2 2004-07-06 20:05:33

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Binary files -> package

the s stands for system (arch build system).

You can build binary files with it, all you have to do is instead of compiling, you move,copy,install or whatever the binary installer wants you to do, the files into the pkg directory.

Take a look at the j2re and j2sdk packages for examples.  Basically, anything installed in the pkg directory (same structure as root) will be installed. You do the copy/moving inside the build function of PKGBUILD.

I could have said that waaaaay clearer, but I'm rushing again... *sigh*

Dusty

#3 2004-07-06 20:22:54

correct

Dusty wrote:

the s stands for system (arch build system).

You can build binary files with it, all you have to do is instead of compiling, you move,copy,install or whatever the binary installer wants you to do, the files into the pkg directory.

Take a look at the j2re and j2sdk packages for examples.  Basically, anything installed in the pkg directory (same structure as root) will be installed. You do the copy/moving inside the build function of PKGBUILD.

I could have said that waaaaay clearer, but I'm rushing again... *sigh*

Dusty

Ok, thanks.  smile  I will play with them. Hopefully I can get ghc to work soon (without contaminating the package database) smile

#4 2004-07-06 20:28:22

sarah31
Website

many of the packages that you know are non-gpl/gnu are often made from banries. a few of the gkrellm plugins are precompiled or scripts that you just "drop" in a package.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-07-06 21:35:33

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

sarah31 wrote:

many of the packages that you know are non-gpl/gnu are often made from banries.

Aren't they just *evil*!?

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Edit: Hey Sarah, three more posts and your post count will be up to date!

Board footer