You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-15 16:17:58

sokuban

[SOLVED]Need Shift-JIS to wine a Japanese game (or not)

The game in question is Little Busters.

I have heard at animesuki forums that the game runs fine with winelocale. Thing is, winelocale is for ubuntu. I used to use ubuntu, and I could probbably go back to it, but I know I'd complain about something and distro hopping isn't a good habit.

So I want to try to get this game working on Arch.

I think the first step I need is to get Shift-JIS locales in Arch. It is not in the /etc/locale.gen file and I tried adding it with similar syntax and that just gave me an error.

EDIT: Got a working crack. Thanks Procyon.

Last edited by sokuban (2008-09-21 19:39:48)

#2 2008-09-15 17:35:35

oliwer
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Need Shift-JIS to wine a Japanese game (or not)

Ok, first of all, stop playing emo games and learn how linux works !

The winelocale script should work on Archlinux. It only modifies wine's configuration so it works on any linux distribution. Modifying local.gen will only help you if you want to japanese CLI applications (in the console). Xorg doesn't use it.

You can read Japanese ?

#3 2008-09-15 18:18:10

Procyon

I think it comes down to uncommenting ja_JP.UTF-8 in /etc/locale.gen, running locale-gen, and then LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 wine program_name.exe

At least, this has worked for me for a PC98 emulator, and some Japanese shmups.

Not using LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 makes me see only blocks.

EDIT:
And fonts maybe... I don't know where I got it all, but my Windows/fonts is 100MB.

Last edited by Procyon (2008-09-15 18:32:30)

#4 2008-09-15 18:56:10

sokuban

Procyon wrote:

I think it comes down to uncommenting ja_JP.UTF-8 in /etc/locale.gen, running locale-gen, and then LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 wine program_name.exe

At least, this has worked for me for a PC98 emulator, and some Japanese shmups.

Not using LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 makes me see only blocks.

EDIT:
And fonts maybe... I don't know where I got it all, but my Windows/fonts is 100MB.

Wow that seemed to work. I didn't even need Shift-JIS or winelocale. Before I tested with just "LANG=ja_JP wine exe" and that worked with some programs but not this one for some reason.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure winelocale doesn't work on Archlinux. The guy said it probbably doesn't work on debian even. Though the guy said that to use it you need to install Shift-JIS which is available on ubuntu, and said something about lang= not working well with Shift-JIS because it wasn't ASCII compatible or something. That's why I thought I had to get that locale.

Yes, I know Japanese. Its a bit of a pain sometimes since there are all sorts of problems Linux has with Japanese. Though I have even more problems since I need Chinese as well. (I've got the whole mess somehow sorted out now, but before I had problems with Japanese fonts breaking Chinese fonts and all.)

Slightly offtopic but what PC98 emulator did you get working with Linux? Anex?

EDIT: Well the install worked fine, but the actual game gives me

err:aspi:SCSI_OpenDevice Failed to open device /dev/sg0: 許可がありません

That error many times until an error with gibberish comes up. The Japanese in the Failed to open device error means no permissions.

Last edited by sokuban (2008-09-15 19:28:46)

#5 2008-09-15 19:53:50

Procyon

I use T98-Next. Anex has a big input delay and Neko Project II (which has a linux version) doesn't work with PC9821 games.
And T98-Next even has mouse support.

I'm not sure. Maybe you need to add your user to optical.
At least, google says /dev/sg0 is cdrom.
gpasswd -a USER optical

If you can't solve it, I'd recommend getting a patch for it so it doesn't check for the cdrom.

And btw I hear Little Busters is pretty good. I think I'll try it out with AGTH & Atlas (if they even work on wine) although I get lost even with rikaichan.

#6 2008-09-15 20:27:00

sokuban

Procyon wrote:

I use T98-Next. Anex has a big input delay and Neko Project II (which has a linux version) doesn't work with PC9821 games.
And T98-Next even has mouse support.

I'm not sure. Maybe you need to add your user to optical.
At least, google says /dev/sg0 is cdrom.
gpasswd -a USER optical

If you can't solve it, I'd recommend getting a patch for it so it doesn't check for the cdrom.

And btw I hear Little Busters is pretty good. I think I'll try it out with AGTH & Atlas (if they even work on wine) although I get lost even with rikaichan.

I'm not sure if LittleBusters is good or not. I do know that Planetarian and Clannad are good though.

That was the first thing I did. >_<

The second thing I did was install directx, I had to get a new .wine to do it, and I reinstalled LittleBusters with the new .wine.

The only thing it changed was the error box I got now is in Japanese and says to insert the original disk. (Before it was gibberrish.)

#7 2008-09-15 20:33:35

moljac024

Well, you could always crack it. It's okay since you own the original wink
Go over to www.gamecopyworld.com

BTW, is there no english version of the game ?

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-09-15 20:35:40)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#8 2008-09-15 20:37:52

Procyon

From what I understand of DirectX in wine, only copying the ddl's to the directory and setting it to use in winecfg is recommended.

Try running the game as root. Just copying the relevant registry keys should do. Or maybe the entire registry file, since that's easier.

#9 2008-09-15 21:01:41

sokuban

I tried running it in root, and I only got a less informative error. The terminal didn't spam me about permission problems and the error box that popped up didn't say anything.

I tried using a no-cd crack, but it didn't work. It gave me an error in Japanese "Cannot define drive". (I tried using the crack in windows and it works fine)

And there is no English version of the game. Even if there was I wouldn't want it, since it is mainly story driven I'd want it in the original language.

EDIT: So I tried T98-Next. Maybe I don't know how to use it, but I can't find a button to insert a disk anywhere. The fact that the device manager tab has nothing in it slightly scares me.

But anex works. Perfectly. Granted, the only game I tried was Touhou Reiiden, and that thing is so old it would work on anything.

Last edited by sokuban (2008-09-16 20:49:09)

Board footer