You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-15 17:02:48

LonelyStar

Tiling WM - what features do you use?I

Hi together,

I am kind of new to tiling WMs, and I like it! I use awesome.
I am wondering what features of your tiling WM you use in your daily work/play. Because I am generaly interested but also because I wondering if there are features I should try. I'll start:

- I have 9 workspaces and I accress them with Alt F1-F9, similiar to how I switch consoles.
- Of course, the automatic window arrangment. While on most workspaces I have one window in fullscreen, I really like the "fair" layouts from awesome.
- I can configure awesome so that I can close any application with Ctlr-x Ctrl-x. Since I am an emacs user, I am very used to this key combination.
- I use dmenu_path and dmenu for starting applications (do "dmenu_path | dmenu" to see what I mean).
- I can switch any window to floating. It than also has a fully working titlebar.

I am sure I forgot something ...

Greetings,
Nathan

EDIT: I want to add something, I am also interested in which layout you use and how you use them.
I personaly find the "Tiled" layout not very usefull.

Last edited by LonelyStar (2008-09-15 17:12:12)

#2 2008-09-17 01:05:49

pauldonnelly

Re: Tiling WM - what features do you use?I

I use StumpWM, which has window groups rather than multiple desktops.

1. I only use one group, though I may add another to clean up the window list sometime.
2. I use one window in fullscreen most of the time. Sometimes I split either vertically or horizontally for a while. No floating.
3. I've got heavily customized key bindings. M-a is the escape, so I press "M-a p" and then a letter key to start the programs that have key bindings. For 8 of those programs, I only ever want to run one instance at a time, so their launch keys are set to select a running instance if one exists, rather than starting a new one. I assign them a number above 9 after starting them to get them out of the way.

And that's about it. I'd like to figure out a way to automatically assign high numbers to the programs in #3. I'd also like to improve the way Pidgin works in this system. It would be best if the conversation window and the buddy list were combined, but I'd settle for making the conversation window easier to select.

#3 2008-09-17 01:21:35

rson451
Website

1. Very useful are the tags of DWM*, which I use completely unlike workspaces. 
2. Most of the time I am in a bstack layout (TTT) where the zoomed window spans the entire width of the screen and subsequent windows are split along the bottom part of the screen.   
3. I find the tiling layout generally helps me to be more productive as I can concentrate on getting work done, not flipping through windows trying to find where my stuff is.  I started using tiling wms because I found myself getting into a pattern with fluxbox in manually tiling windows with keybinds (think having the screen split up into nine sections and using the numberpad to place the current window where you want), and realized how I could save time and have my window manager do this for me.

* Thanks for clearing that up peets.

Last edited by rson451 (2008-09-17 02:57:29)

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#4 2008-09-17 02:51:20

peets
Website

I use StumpWM too. What I like about tiling is
-no minutious work required to place windows properly
-switching windows with directional buttons (M-up to move to window above current one, etc.)
-works well with keyboard only.

btw: stumpwm groups are equivalent to workspaces; they're not like the suckless tags, unfortunately.

#5 2008-09-17 16:22:54

pauldonnelly

peets wrote:

I use StumpWM too. What I like about tiling is
-no minutious work required to place windows properly
-switching windows with directional buttons (M-up to move to window above current one, etc.)
-works well with keyboard only.

btw: stumpwm groups are equivalent to workspaces; they're not like the suckless tags, unfortunately.

Hmm, so they are. I assumed they worked like Ratpoison's groups, but they don't.

Board footer